PDA

View Full Version : Real

DonziJon
03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I was listening to some 40s music tonight (XM) and thought...you know what..this (40s) music is REAL. This might strike a cord with members of the over 60 crowd on this board. What I'm sayin is music in the "Old Days" was sung by REAL People and the instruments they played were REAL instruments....Guitars..Bass..Trumpet...Drums..etc .
Today everything is SYNTHETIC...It comes from a machine..a synthesizer. Sit back and listen to some of todays music...it doesn't have to be any particular type of music...try and pick out a SOUND......and ask yourself what Instrument is that making that sound? In the old days you would imediately say..that's a Bass.
Let me ask our younger members: What's a Bass? (Don't need any smart ass answer sayin it's a slimy fish)
Just reminiscing: :umbrella: John

f_inscreenname
03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
It all depends on what you listen to it on. You can hear every note of anything when you hear it through 2 sets of Infinity's RSIIIa's.
But I know what you are saying.

chappy
03-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Define younger member please.:umbrella:

MOP
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM
They are not old enough to know how heavy BASS is!!!

Ghost
03-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I know what you mean. I like plenty of modern stuff as well, but I totally get your point. Too bad we didn't have the technology to record it well when those guys were playing it back then. I've always liked the big band and jazz from the 20s through the 40's.

BTW, where someone asked above: bass is what you put in a Bass-o-matic. "Gee, this is terrific bass."

The Hedgehog
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I thought bass was a code word used at the beach when our significant others were around? " Duuude, look at that bass"...

When I was in high school I thought that woofers would help me get some bass! Actually back in the 80's in central Alabama it did not hurt but having a charge account at the liquor store was probably a better attribute.

When I got to college it was all in how you could drink alot and still make grades.

Later having good bass involved other factors.....wait a minute, are we talking about bass of music?

Oh yeah, good ol classic rock and roll rules.

gcarter
03-09-2009, 10:16 PM
There was a lot more emphasis on "live" performance. My dad (who died about four years ago just 10 days short of 90) was a trombone player in bands in the late '30's. He told me the musicians union was very powerful and required radio stations to provide live music for a specific # of hours every day.
Ya also have to remember recording was accomplished on "wax" and you did it on one take. Everyone had to be perfect. Not only perfect, but the mix had to be perfect. Everyone had to be cognizant of what their part was and how their instrument would sound in the mix.
Think about it, it would be a LOT harder to do.
I love the swing music from the period.

mattyboy
03-10-2009, 05:59 AM
so Bass is not a good tasting ale from england?????

and i suppose when you say new music you are sampling all the other stations on XM not just hits one

alot easier listening to xm than to crank up the ol victrola hey :tongue:

just be careful when you're are being a hip daddy swinging in your zuit suit you don't break a hip or something ;) :tongue:

sorry gotta go my hannah montana mp3 is skipping

gcarter
03-10-2009, 07:20 AM
So, would you say todays "musicians" are less musically talented than those in the past?

Not necessarily, but I believe there're a lot fewer "good" musicians today.
I often ask Elaine, who has a degree in this stuff, about particular arrangements and groups whether they rate the rank of "good" or "great". She thinks a lot of them are good. But they might have been better w/the demands of the period we're speaking of.You know, no boost for acoustic instruments (of course they were all acoustic) and no external mixing.

txtaz
03-10-2009, 09:07 AM
"Bass"-defn. That which blows 8" mid/subs in Infinity Studio Monitors while testing Bugs Bunny's DVD functionality. Tested with No Doubt.

Da Taz<---Grrrrr.

mattyboy
03-10-2009, 04:37 PM
i think it would be a great example perhaps Donzi Jon would like to go thru the song thread and do a is it real or fake like the old commericial is it live or memorex ?

;)

so we are saying is the jonas brothers are good musicians???

Ed Donnelly
03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I think what Donzi Jon was trying to express, was the harmonizing
by the likes of the Mills Bros. The Temptations, The Ink Spots.
etc. etc. etc. Who is there nowadays (backstreet boys? ).................Ed

P.S. Donzi Jon; Not trying to put words in your mouth;)..Ed

mattyboy
03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
i know music has many styles and variations, but the term new music is too ambiguous i bet if you take each style or variation you can find real genious in past and present artist and you will find milli vanilli's as well

DonziJon
03-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys for the sentiments and support. All day I've been trying to think of a response Chappys inquiry ."Please Define Younger Member"....I would look for something that would cause a reader to smile: I know the question was asked with a smile on his face...;)

I guess.. anyone under 60...? I'm over 67...I think MOP is even older.. (No offense MOP)..I have always respected people older than I am. They have more life experience than me. That's something I was taught as a youngster...something that doesn't seem to be popular lately.

BTW: I scan XM for music that suits my mood at the time. I get XM over DirecTV. 40s, 50s, most Country, even The Village. John

Ed Donnelly
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
DonziJon; Thank you for making my day:p:p:p
I just KNEW there was at least ONE more member besides MOP
that was older than me........................Ed

f_inscreenname
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
It's funny when you look around for the old people and everyone around is younger then you.http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/clueless.gif

There is good music today. There is just a whole lot more of it and a little harder to find. On good old FM here alone there is 4 major rock stations, 2 classic rock, 3 top 40 and that is for just a small slice of the music pie. Add in the same format smaller stations, satalite and HD radio and it's all over the place. When I was a kid there was just one rock station that played it all.