PDA

View Full Version : 1972 18’ 2+3 Capacity Plate.

Bobby D
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I will be applying for a Pennsylvania boat registration and title change soon and it’s straightforward with the exception of a requirement that all (PA) boats have a capacity plate. The boat is an 18ft 1972 and it never had a capacity plate. On August 1, 1973, the USCG effected a regulation, Title 33, Code of Federal Regulation, Section 183, requiring all monohull boats under 20 feet.
Looking for a member with an 18’ classic who has a capacity plate to provide the information, picture would be appreciated.
Bob

mattyboy
03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Bobby,

the 18 as the name says is a 2+3 a five seat capacity and the hull has basically remained unchanged as far as seating arrangements
I don't have access to USGC plate but i do have this copy of a 1970 brochure. It confirms 5
are they looking for a plate or just a number to be filled out on a form???

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42756&d=1233415368

Kirbyvv
03-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Bob, the X is in storage right now. Need one of our southern friends to take a photo of the plate for you. So does this mean the 18 has arrivied in PA?

Bobby D
03-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Most of the needed information is contained on the Florida title with the exception of the hull number. During the refurbishment the hull number was not found in the usual locations so the boat was given a number when Andy (Stromer) filed for a Florida registration and title.
My ski sporter already had one when I bought it so it was not an issue. Since the 18 2+3 boat does not have on PA wants me to complete form PFBC-702 that includes the following information:
Horsepower: I know this one 310 hp.
Number of persons: sounds like 5 persons
Total weight capacity ? no idea
Persons weight capacity ? no idea
I have time to figure this out and I may be able to get on from Donzi for a current 18 classic? Boat will be coming to Pa in late April. As part of the deal Andy agreed to keep the boat in his garage until we planned a trip to Florida to pick her up in April. Did not want to deal with bad weather and winterization so she is high/dry and warm in his garage. We have planned a trip that will begin with a stop over ( 2 or 3 days ) in Charleston SC and than will continue on to Siesta Key and hang out there several days before returning home.
Bob

chboater62
03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Try this NH boating ed info.

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/p2-1_knowyourcapacity.htm
On vessels with no capacity plate, use the following rule of thumb to calculate the number of persons (weighing 150 lbs. each, on average) the vessel can carry safely in good weather conditions.
Number of people =
vessel length (ft.) x vessel width (ft.)

For example, for a vessel 18 feet long by 6 feet wide, the number of persons is 18 times 6 (or 108) divided by 15, which equals seven 150-lb. persons (or a total person weight of 7 x 150, or 1050 lbs.).