PDA

View Full Version : Best place for an interior?

Audiofn
03-09-2009, 08:05 AM
Who is the best place to get an interior from for my 18 2+3? One of my buddies just got one from PPI. Is there any place else I should look?

Jon

mattyboy
03-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Audio,

you're in the northeast I think there was a women in lake hopatcong NJ that re did some of the interior panels and cushions for my friend kenny 20 cig I'll check to see if he has her number.

going back in my memory was it Smoothie who had some Amish craftsman redo his 20 cig interior that was very inexpensive and came out really nice

VetteLT193
03-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Who is the best place to get an interior from for my 18 2+3? One of my buddies just got one from PPI. Is there any place else I should look?
Jon

If you want perfection go PPI.

My new interior isn't perfect but very close and I paid about a third of what PPI charges. Personally I'd rather spend less and not worry about the interior getting ruined than have perfect and be stressed out.

jimishooch
03-09-2009, 10:10 AM
i went local on my minx and they did a very good job. saved alot of money.
ask around the boat shops........

jim

Audiofn
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I was actually thinking about going to the local prison just to see how it came out. I saw some of their work a few years ago and it was quite good. Probably would cost me about 500 bucks or so.... maybe I will call them to see what I have to do.

HOWARD O
03-10-2009, 05:25 AM
I was actually thinking about going to the local prison just to see how it came out. I saw some of their work a few years ago and it was quite good. Probably would cost me about 500 bucks or so.... maybe I will call them to see what I have to do.

I'd go for that, I would BET they do a great job.

MR MAGOO
03-10-2009, 07:10 AM
I had an interior done at the local prison. It still cost me a fair amount of money and in the end it looked like it was done by a prison inmate that was probably much better at jackin' cars. :drive: Just order it from PPI. They do incredible work. You will be happy.

Cuda
03-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Jon
I used PPI. They only did new stuff when I had seats made for my Donzi, but now they are doing all. It was really high quality stuff.

HOWARD O
03-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I had an interior done at the local prison. It still cost me a fair amount of money and in the end it looked like it was done by a prison inmate that was probably much better at jackin' cars. :drive: Just order it from PPI. They do incredible work. You will be happy.

Not to be argumentative, but did you see an example of their work beforehand? Sounds like you did not and if the work was so poor, did you have them fix it or refuse to pay? Reason I ask is because I have seen examples of auto interiors at car shows that was made by a prison industry in California.....it won best of show.....beyond incredible.

There was also talk here fairly recently that PPI was mostly doing OEM interiors and folks were having a problem either getting the work contracted at all or it was taking a very long time. Is this still an issue? I think I'd try someone locally first, but that's just me.....

HOWARD O
03-10-2009, 08:21 AM
Audio,
you're in the northeast I think there was a women in lake hopatcong NJ that re did some of the interior panels and cushions for my friend kenny 20 cig I'll check to see if he has her number.
going back in my memory was it Smoothie who had some Amish craftsman redo his 20 cig interior that was very inexpensive and came out really nice

Here's a link to that thread about the Amish guy. Hope this helps....

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33350&highlight=amish

MR MAGOO
03-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Not to be argumentative, but did you see an example of their work beforehand? Sounds like you did not and if the work was so poor, did you have them fix it or refuse to pay? Reason I ask is because I have seen examples of auto interiors at car shows that was made by a prison industry in California.....it won best of show.....beyond incredible.
There was also talk here fairly recently that PPI was mostly doing OEM interiors and folks were having a problem either getting the work contracted at all or it was taking a very long time. Is this still an issue? I think I'd try someone locally first, but that's just me.....

No problem really, but yes I had them do a bit of work for me. It was hit or miss, and things like regular steel staples instead of stainless, poor quality thread that would come apart sooner than you would like. My point was, in my experience, whenever you try to save money on something, it gets real expensive when you've got to spend all the money to have the problem rectified. I learned a long time ago that I'd rather spend a little more with the right people than have to buy the same job twice.

As for PPI, they are very interested in doing interiors for older boats. We ordered a full interior for the 18 Donzi last week. Looking forward to spring!!!!

BigGrizzly
03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Kurt, are you fixing up the dog boat?;);)

MR MAGOO
03-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Kurt, are you fixing up the dog boat?;);)

Yup, the dog is going to be banished from the Donzi!

HOWARD O
03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I can't argue with your point about "trying" to save money and not getting it done right the first time. Had the interior done in the old boat by a local place and while they did a terrific job, it took forever and a day. Sorry to hear about your experience with the convicts.

What's the procedure for having interior done at PPI? Do you send them your old stuff? Are they able to do the buckets without having the actual seats on hand?

Last Real Texan
03-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Just used PPI for some stuff....while a little pricy I am a big believer in you get what you pay for...They did a first class job and I know it was done right. They use great material and thread...their work speaks for itself....

The bitterness of a bad job far outlasts the sweetness of a good deal, get it done right the first time and never look back....

My 2 cents

Tex

Last Real Texan
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I can't argue with your point about "trying" to save money and not getting it done right the first time. Had the interior done in the old boat by a local place and while they did a terrific job, it took forever and a day. Sorry to hear about your experience with the convicts.

What's the procedure for having interior done at PPI? Do you send them your old stuff? Are they able to do the buckets without having the actual seats on hand?
Send them the old stuff....it will come back perfect....
Shipping in the grand scheme of things is not bad... X-18 stuff will fit in Boxes including the buckets....
Tex

MR MAGOO
03-10-2009, 03:51 PM
As for PPI, we bought an all new classic interior. The old buckets were done, the wood was rotted, foam junk. The new buckets are rotocast plastic bases, all new everything.

They also will sell you new skins if your bases/foam is still useable.

Audiofn
03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Just used PPI for some stuff....while a little pricy I am a big believer in you get what you pay for...They did a first class job and I know it was done right. They use great material and thread...their work speaks for itself....

The bitterness of a bad job far outlasts the sweetness of a good deal, get it done right the first time and never look back....

My 2 cents

Tex

I agree with that logic. Was not looking so much to save money as get the best job possible and not get screwed. Just waiting to see how much the tax man is going to get me for then I hope to be ordering everything up.

Thanks all for the help
Jon

blackboat
04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I rebuilt my back seat,bought the best marine foam available took old covers to local upholsterer with new foam. I picked out carbon fiber marine fabric.Silver coming , black going. He said 2 weeks for front, 650. and 1 week for back and ,450. I was very pleased with the job.

Greg Guimond
05-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Has anyone had a new interior done lately for a Classic? Who did you use?

mattyboy
05-23-2010, 06:31 PM
i would imagine PPI in florida has a pattern for a righthanded helm 16 lounge seat . just take a few measurements to double check

Cuda
05-24-2010, 06:35 AM
PPI has the bucket used in today's boats alreay, and the rear seat for a classic. PPI make the interiors used on new Donzis.