PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser Alpha one Aluminum Prop question

1929rats
03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Guys,

I have '89 Alpha one mercruiser outdrive mated to a 4.3 V6 in my sweet sixteen.

Currentlly I have a quick silver mirage 3 blade prop (stock to the o.d. unit) that needs replacement.

I am leaning to purchasing an ALUMINUM PROP. I have once lost an outdrive on a old chris craft I once had because of hitting an unforseen void in the water with the stainless prop.

Ive been looking around here and there, but am getting serious about it now with spring right around the corner.

Any of you have an recommendations or past positive or negative experiences? Any pitch recommendations, or does this even matter - regarding the composition of alum. in comparison to S/S? I'd assume not, but thats why Im asking here....and Im sure Im not the first gut thats thought that....

again... I really dont want to run a s/s prop.....

thanks for your comments,
Pete

The Hedgehog
03-08-2009, 01:18 PM
If you are prone to running over things and worried about breaking the gears you should consider keeping the SS prop and using a soft hub.

BigGrizzly
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Since I sell and test props there is no comparison to stainless. As for recommendation. Get what you already have in aluminum maby a Solas or from Overtons. My other suggestion is stop hitting stuff. No hub is going to save you, except maybe the hub I sell that has aluminum splines that may shear before the prop, but I seriously doubt it really will. There could be mort damage then just the prop. Now you could try a comp prop but the break with out hitting stuff if abused.

MOP
03-08-2009, 08:18 PM
As far as overall performance like Randy says nothing beat a S/S prop, I also understand your position. Many of my customers ran aluminum props just for the very reason you are thinking of the switch, they fished in close to the rocks. It was better to limp home on a mangled prop rather then leaves the gear case guts behind. You will lose a little top end but in some areas the piece of mind is worth it. But on the other hand if you want the most out of your rig listen to Randy!

Phil

BigGrizzly
03-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Just so you know, I have a customer, who bough an aluminum prop from me, I do sell them on occasion, and a stainless one too. He loves the SS but uses the Aluminum. He is afraid to use the stainless because it looks so good-go figure that one out.

mattyboy
03-09-2009, 08:09 AM
i would listen to Griz

or if you are really worried about hitting something try one of these

http://www.acepropeller.com/composite.asp

1929rats
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Thats what I thought too.... S/S would be better on the top end because there would be less deflection....I also love the look of polished S/S.

Its not my intent to hit stuff....I havent in a while, but accidents do happen - especially in foreign waters and that sucks.....

Im still on the fence about it, but, think I'll try and rumage up some money "just in case".

The s/s prop I have now is second hand, and it has been whacked before and needs replacement and/or repair. Its how I bought this vessel. Im also going to have to tig a new skeg on as well....

Looking at the current situation experienced by another got me thinking....

I rather lose a 100 aluminum prop then $$$ gears, and I want to take the boat down the CT river this summer as well as a few other lakes I have never been on.

just preventative maintenance - really

BigGrizzly
03-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Not a bad though. Remember please your self first not us. You know what you do better then we do. I did not want to imply you were careless. I don't think you are.

mattyboy
03-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Griz is right you have to feel confident and comfortable in your boat, the 4.3 is not pumping out that much HP that the performance numbers will effected that much by an alum prop . an impact at any more than idle speed with any prop is going to damage the gears, they might not break right away but they will remember the impact and will probably fail sometime down the road that's what happened to mine the mech showed me a stress impact in the gears he said someone must have hit something over it's lifetime

and the best bet is to know the water or follow someone who does that way they hit the floaters ;)

DonziJon
03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
... and I want to take the boat down the CT river this summer as well as a few other lakes I have never been on.

There are Charts available for the Connecticut River from Hartford down to Long Island Sound. It's called Embassy's Waterproof Charts, number 2.2. The trip is about 40 miles one way as the river flows. If you can't find it locally, it's available from "Defender Industries" Waterford, Connecticut. http://www.defender.com/

I NEVER....Repeat NEVER launch my boat into ANY body of water without a CHART of the area.. It's good insurance. John

The Hedgehog
03-10-2009, 02:09 AM
If you absolutely insist on buying an aluminum prop, just give randy here a call. He will fix you up with what you need.

BTW Randy, I am out of town but am looking forward to my package when I get back at the end of the week. I am sure that I will be buying breakfast for you next opportunity.