PDA

View Full Version : Sno Mo V- Resurrection.....

Donziweasel
03-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Every year I do a 3 day backcountry Snowmobile trip with a few locals and my college buddies from The College of Charleston from back east. Last year was Sno Mo IV- The Final Battle. This year was Sno Mo V- Resurrection. We took to the backcountry on the latest technology big mountain sleds and stayed at a lodge called the Box Y 30 miles in the backcountry. The only way to reach it is by snowmobile or sno cat. This year I took 8 and we sledding in some of the most hardcore terrian and remote places and beautiful places in Wyoming. Over the three days, we boondocked, climbed to over 11,000 ft, and ripped up the deep powder. Great trip. Had bon fires with much Jack and Captian at night. Food was amazing at the Box Y, ribs, prime rib and the weather was great.......

http://www.boxylodge.com/

Next year I might see if anyone from here wants to go. Here are a few pics of the trip......

Donziweasel
03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Few more pics....

Here is a video of a me and a freind climbing a bowl at 10,000 ft. He got stuck, I made it.....

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/?action=view&current=P3020659.flv

mike o
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
John, what do the get to rent a mt sled in JH?

HOWARD O
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Snowmobiling is the top of the heap for fun factor to me. Great video, great photos!

I haven't been for a long time and I know there are 4-strokers now.........but does everybody still pretty much use 2-strokes in the mtns?

boxy
03-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Great pics Weasel. Looked like a blast.

Would I get a discount at the Box y lodge ?

Donziweasel
03-11-2009, 12:58 PM
John, what do the get to rent a mt sled in JH?

I can get 2009 Ski Doo XP 800's with 154 tracks,2.25 lugs and 154 hp. Awesome sleds.....

I haven't been for a long time and I know there are 4-strokers now.........but does everybody still pretty much use 2-strokes in the mtns?

Yep, 2 strokes. The key to a mountain sled is power to wieght. The lighter the better. 5 years ago, a mountain sled ran a 1.5 inch lug, wieghed 550 pounds and had at best 120 hp. Now they are coming in at 450 pounds with 2.25 inch lugs with over 150-160 hp.

That being said, the 4 strokes are gaining ground. The Yamah Apex is 150 hp and over 550 pounds. Many of the locals are going to turbos. Some are running 12 pounds of boost and getting over 300hp on the 4 strokes! It is almost like "who cares how much it wieghs with that much power". They kick the crap out of my sled.

My M-1000 wieghs around 490 pounds (a little heavy for a mountain sled) but has 195 hp w/out the NOS. My NOS is a 20 hp shot.

Would I get a discount at the Box y lodge ?

You would with me! 129.00 a night including 3 meals a day. They also sell fuel and oil for the sleds. Great people!

boxy
03-11-2009, 01:14 PM
I was talking to my BiL on the weekend about his sled, and how the reverse works.
I had never really thought about it, but because it is a 2 stroke, to put it in reverse you hit the start button again, it re-starts the 2 stroke, with a 180 degree change in timing and it runs backwards...

mike o
03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Ill be out some day. First i have to finish the whole 20 thousand mile PQ trail system. Got about 4.5k left to do. The north shore St Lawrence seaway up towards Labrador. I got a 05 mxzx 600 sdi that just rolled 15k this weekend in northern N.H. Boxy, I was just across the Ottawa river from you (I guess), last march around this time, Gauvin, lady slipper area in PQ.

CHACHI
03-11-2009, 01:38 PM
My '86 Husky 250 WR would do that all by itself if I lugged the engine too low, on the verge of stalling. Thankfully it sounded just a bit different running in reverse, so I would have to stall the bike and restart.

Every once in a while this "condition" would actually prove very helpful.

Backed out of more than one difficult obstacle.

On the electronic reverse sleds, they do have a special helix on the drive clutch so when the engine is running backwards, the clutches still engage the drive belt.

Ken

Donziweasel
03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I had never really thought about it, but because it is a 2 stroke, to put it in reverse you hit the start button again, it re-starts the 2 stroke, with a 180 degree change in timing and it runs backwards...

That is the mechanical reverse. They came out with a elctronic reverse that shaved 4 pounds off the mechanical one this year. Still, either way, it is pretty innovative.

Ill be out some day. First i have to finish the whole 20 thousand mile PQ trail system. Got about 4.5k left to do.

Mike, when you are done, you can start on Wyomings trail system. We have 2000 miles of groomed trials. That doesn't include the linking to the trail systmes in Idaho, Montana, and Utah. Love to ride with ya anytime..... We will start from the Lazy P.....;)

Ken, you can join us.....:D

The Hedgehog
03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
That is not fair. Please wait a few more days before posting this type of stuff!

rtgogo
03-12-2009, 07:52 PM
That is not fair. Please wait a few more days before posting this type of stuff!

Your on your way.... whatcha bitchin about..I gotta watch this stuff with an unrealized dream... Looks fantastic....just got back from a bike tour through Utah, Nevada, and Arizona.. Great Time., but we discussed sleds for the next winter time ride..... see you next year!

Hedge....enjoy.... have fun!

Donziweasel
03-12-2009, 09:20 PM
rt- I can get sleds anytime. Whenever your ready.......:yes: