PDA

View Full Version : Mag HO or Mag

cmbracer
03-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Is the HO worth a premium of about 5k over the Mag? (used boats, the HO is a 40'th boat - 2 years older)

Thinking about the future, where a Whippel SC could be in the cards.

The Potter engine is of the table right now!

I'm used to outboards, but miss the roumble of a V8. Hence the shift to a 22 classic.

Regards

osur866
03-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Dont know for sure but I think the ho engine has better internals than the mag motor which would make it better for a whipple down the road, I'm sure others will chime in.

BigGrizzly
03-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Mag and HO have the same lower end. The lower is the important part when Supercharging, there are hundreds of other factors I won't get into here. If change is in the future go with the mag.

yeller
03-08-2009, 12:34 PM
The HO is different cam and programming. It also came with the B1X instead of the B1. The X has a stronger upper. That being said, if $ is your driving factor go with the Mag.

harbormaster
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
The only difference between the 375hp mag and 430 Mag Ho is the cam, computer, and a larger hole drilled in the butterfly of the throttle body.

IF YOU WANT AN ENGINE TO SOUP UP THIS AIN'T THE ONE. THERE ARE NO FORGED COMPONENTS IN THIS ENGINE. IT IS WHAT IT IS. IF YOU WANT TO ADD A BLOWER IN FUTURE, THEN GET A 502 OR 454.

I HAVE SPOKEN AT LENGTH WITH RAY BRODY OF RAYLAR AND HE AGREES THAT THIS ENGINE IS BETTER LEFT NATURALLY ASPIRATED.

2010 IS THE LAST YEAR FOR THIS ENGINE. IF YOU THINK PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE FOR IT NOW, JUST WAIT. ALSO IN MY OPINION IT IS ONE OF THE MOST BUTT UGLY ENGINES I HAVE EVER SEEN.

HERE ARE A FEW HORROR STORIES...

RUN THROUGH A CLOUD OF SILT AND IT COATS THE SENSOR WHICH NOW THINKS YOU HAVE NO WATERPRESSURE. YOU GO INTO GUARDIAN MODE AND LIMP HOME AT 2500 RPMS

PUT A DIFFERENT MULTIGRADE OIL AND IT FOAMS UP WHICH NOW THINKS YOU HAVE NO OIL PRESSURE. YOU GO INTO GUARDIAN MODE AND LIMP HOME AT 2500 RPMS

THESE ARE JUST A FEW OF THE CRAZY CRAP WE HAVE RUN INTO WITH THESE ENGINES.

I know there are a few of you out there with these engines. They are an ok engine if you leve them alone. This just my opinion based on what i have seen while working at Victory marine.

LKSD
03-09-2009, 07:06 AM
If the oil foamed I would say you may have had other issues of bad oil, also sensors can get faked out on other engines as well.. While there are some draw backs with that engine compared to others, there are good points to it as well. Like in stock form they have been a reliable unit for the most part for many people, also the guardian mode that many think so bad has also saved many units.. Id rather limp home & pay a little for a sensor or part than pay for a new engine... Also the part from Ray If my memeory is correct that is true but a little skewed from my memory. I deal with Ray's products & have chatted with Ray on several occassions. The engine can tolerate low to moderate boost but it must be run cool (there are certain mods for this) and it must be done quite precisely.. To run precisely the whipple is probably the best unit out there to start with for that app.. Other than that for those engines Raylars products are good to enhance the power if you dont want a blower.. Or if you want to run more than 5-6psi of boost with a blower.

In short it really isnt that bad of an engine, it just has a few quirks and is a bit different from the 454/502 stuff that was used for years.. So I personally cant really badmouth it for an out of the box factory unit.. THat said I am not saying that a custom 454/502 isnt a good way of going either. They are an excelent platform for mayn things. Especially when you really want to go crazy. At the end you need to decide what you want & what suits you the best..

Jamie / Lakeside

Pismo
03-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Get a 502.

yeller
03-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Guardian system has saved my engine twice. Once from overheating, and once from no oil pressure. I love it! Plus I think it could be a really nice looking engine, just needs a bit of alteration....as most stock engines do.