PDA

View Full Version : Howard O is 45

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2009, 12:37 AM
:happy_bi::clap::clap:..And only 45 Enjoy your day................Ed

Ghost
03-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Happy Birthday!! :odie: Hope you got out and made something of the warm spell.

BigGrizzly
03-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Happy birth day H life is just beginning.

Carl C
03-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Happy Birthday Young Fella (aren't we a bunch of old fogies here!);):drunk::puke:

HOWARD O
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Thanks fellas!

We are having a summer day today, temps to be over 80. Sorry to all my friends from the north, but I imagine most of you will have a nice day too. Can't believe it snowed just last week! I can't decide if I want to work on the boat or play on the boat, but either way, it'll BE ON THE BOAT!!! :D:D:D

I'd better hurry, I already lost an hour to the daylight savings....... :outtahere:

HOWARD O
03-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Thank Carl, I'm glad you older folks made it in here first! :lol9:

Donziweasel
03-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Happy B-day Howard from me and Boo Boo:beer::happy_bi:

CHACHI
03-08-2009, 03:27 PM
You are just a puppy.

Ken

Tim Morris
03-08-2009, 05:43 PM
You are just a puppy.

Ken

Indeed! I'm your daddy....unless Mr. Donnelly takes
the responsibility.....he's everybody's daddy.

chappy
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Happy birthday Howard, I think my gift may have gotten there a little early.:D

CHACHI
03-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Indeed!....unless Mr. Donnelly takes
the responsibility.....he's everybody's daddy.

I'm laughin':jestera:

Ken

Ed Donnelly
03-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Hey!!! I can name 1, maybe even 2 people, that are older than me
on this here site..Mop and ................Ed

BUIZILLA
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
:drunk: :smileybo: :drive: :cistineb: :D

HOWARD O
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Chappy, I thoroughly enjoyed that film, thank you! I am going to watch it again in a few days actually!

Had a great day, it was so warm with a high of 81. I started off the day by changing out the jets in the carb. I took out the size 65's and put in the 69's again. I think it runs better, but it is a tad rich. Ran it for a bit, put it back up on the lift and changed the oil.......since a friend was nice enough to leave me some! Another gift, thank you mysterious oil guy! Also fixed a small water leak in the sea strainer.

Had a nice boat ride with the family, went down to the local gas dock and even thought the tank read almost half, I took on about 15 more gallons. They have a big sign on the pumps of this new place, ETHANOL FREE. Cool.

Afterwards, we blasted up river a piece and went back home after about 45 minutes. A friend of mine wanted to finally get a ride, so it was about a 5 mile boat ride to pick he and his son up. Blasted up the river again a piece, coming back had some real nice wind chop so we let it go. Then, all of a sudden, engine slowly dies. Comes down off plane, couldn't keep it running. Crank it, no fire. No gas going to carb! Stuck in the middle of the river. Got to be the fuel pump because I am too careful, too anal to ever run out of fuel.

Could it be, is it possible??? Not on my birthday! Why YES, I ran it completely dry. Not only ethanol free, but gas free too! The wind was taking us pretty good to somebody's dock, so I was able to use my paddle to just give it a nudge in the right direction. A good fellow boater happened along and towed us the couple miles to the nearest fuel dock. After fueling up both the Donzi and our rescuer's boat (all of 6 gallons), I was relieved to hear it finally crank back to life. We were off again, starting to get dark.

On my way to deliver my friends back home, the Coasties hit the blue light on me. I'm thinking boy, this has just GOT to be my special day! I had seen them earlier, inspecting another boat. Passed muster with them, they were VERY nice and professional. Guy in charge noticed that I had slowed down to no wake when he had the other person stopped and said he appreciated that.....I said it's the law now but I always did anyway. I was such a suck-up. Anyway, got my "get out of jail" receipt if I happen to get stopped again in the next 6-8 months. That was my second time in all my boating life that I've been checked by the USCG and I have enjoyed it both times. They are pretty easy going and are nice to talk with. These were youngsters and they were really sharp and on the ball.

Got my friends home and returned before nightfall.... :drive:

So it was like a Tom Sawyer day on the water for me and I had a great time, real fun birthday. Next week I am ordering a fuel meter, like the Navman I had on my old boat. I will NOT run out of fuel again and while the gas gauge does function properly, it's about as useless as..........well, you know! :puke:

Thanks for the well wishes! :wink:

Conquistador_del_mar
03-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Howard,
Happy birthday. Maybe you got all the negative things out of the way for the rest of the year's boating - ;)
I am hoping the new Centroid sending unit in my 1971 18' performs as accurately as I predict it will. You might check into installing one of them before spending on what sounds like an expensive system. Best wishes, Bill

HOWARD O
03-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm hoping you're right about the negatives, but I am thinking NOT! But that's okay, it goes hand in hand with boat ownership. Ya know the old saying, a bad day on the water is better than........

First I've heard of the Centroid, I'll investigate.

I installed a Navman in my last boat and it was accurate to within a half a gallon. Once you enter the total number of gallons in your tank when you fill up, it tells you fuel remaining, fuel used on trip and your GPH in real time.

That was a few years ago and it was a hundred bucks. I think Navman was bought out by Northstar and this is the same unit..... $109 !!! I just may replace my fuel gauge altogether and hope the transducer (paddle wheel) lasts.

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=NORTHSTAR&ID=1199997&ref=GB

HOWARD O
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Read up on the Centroid, that's a very slick device. Can even be made to go around bends, etcetera. Be nice to have that in addition to the flow meter.