PDA

View Full Version : Konrad has Landed

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I came home from a lunch with a prop buddy and the phone rang. A voice said, "There is a big box for you in receiving here at Honda, come in and get it it is still on the fork lift".:D:D I replied "on my way".:odie::odie::odie: I get to Honda-record time. I missed every light and cop on the road. I walk in the shop, There is the fork lift with a box on it. About two minutes later two friends walk in with cutters and such. 2 minutes and 30 seconds later the box was opened. The drive was foamed in and everything was perfect. The transom plate new rams Reservoir, extra oil and get this all brand new trim hoses too. About this time the other engineers both American and Japanese, were there. Every body had a camera but me. These guys started measuring everything. One of my Japanese friends looked at me and said looks good vary well made. After 45 minutes of this, they put it in the back of out Expedition. I had not even touched it yet. BTW its weigh is 153.7LBS (69.3kg). Home I go. At home the wife meets me at the shop door again no camera:uzi: Then she says where is MY Konrad.:p We unload the boxes drive is still in the large car. New transom plate, new rams new hardware for the hydraulic steering and all. The only thing not there was the guy to install it, OH thats me. Looks like boatless was wrong again. I will post pictures as soon as I find the camera. Life is good

Lenny
03-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Grizz, you have had 45 minutes now. Get the $uckin camera OK :mad:

:D :D :D

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Got a honey do first or she won't let me have the drive. I will do an install thing on this thread. I read all the instructions 3 times. BTW I did high speed lower but not the shorty, just for bling. For what I do it was a better deal.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Randy,
I look forward to the install pictures and final results. Highly cool!! Bill

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Del mar, but your a tough act to follow. Performance will not be for a month or so. The install does not look bad, that is what scares me.;)

Dr. Dan
03-07-2009, 02:38 PM
:pRandy I am sure I missed which Boat the Konrad is going on?

Be Well

Visiting Attending Physician of the Registry :spongebob:

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Here goes some pictures.

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Doc, the Konrad is for the Criterion. It is a too much power thing even for the TRS. I am not really changing the engine, but I do not want another drive failure. My TRS is only 5 hours old and just broken in so It will make someone a good replacement. We had to unload some stuff so Barb wanted me to get something strong so I don't have to work on the boat. Now this is done maybe I can paint or re-gel it.

KerrLake
03-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Lookin good. You're the man!

Ed Donnelly
03-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Randy; That sure is purdy................Ed

MOP
03-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Tis a beautiful thing, should be good for a few extra MPH! Best of luck with it Randy.

Phil

Trueser
03-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Mr Grizz
You sure you don't want to get the stringers and transom out of the way?

Re-gel coat...

The last weekend is still on for Texas.

MDonziM
03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Great looking drive, even better looking lower. Congrats, can't wait to see the install. First rate looking cat litter too. :smile:

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 05:27 PM
T Man the stringers ar not a problem, Mine are aluminum, but the Gel or paint is. Only one thing a year. Besides Cumberland is more important then some stinkin stringer. Still working on end of the month. The drive is only a one day job. Its the engine redo is the issue. I will try for Texas. You guys are going to need all the direction possible:D:D
Everybody thanks for the good words. Remember I am an engine and prop guy this bling thing is a new concept for me. I really did it for strength of the drive train. Believe it or not, this was the cheapest and strongest way to do it. Only the Imco EXtreme is stronger. I am even with the #6 at this time and way less expensive. The best part is nothing has to be changed, not even drill another hole. In fact the only thing I have to mount is the beautiful oil reservoir. No picture yet. I am excited, after tomorrow the Honey-Do s are finished for a week. maybe more. Getting off the old drive will be the hard part.

gero1
03-07-2009, 06:16 PM
i don't know where we are but i am having alot of fun!!!! that drive looks shorter than the old old one... looking forward to seeing you at aoth:yippie:

blackboat
03-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Sweet drive! I have heard only good things about Konrad drives.Bulletproof:uzi:

gcarter
03-07-2009, 07:09 PM
I like it!!!!!

farmer tx
03-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Randy that is REALLY nice. I'm jealous.:checkered::worthy:

The Hedgehog
03-07-2009, 10:05 PM
You are making a BIG mistake! You should have gone with a Bravo. You clearly don't know what you are doing. Oh, I guess that you will be going to a 1 blade prop!;)

Oh yeah, if you want to get rid of that POS Konrad, give me a call.

Lenny
03-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Barb, Randy got a "nice piece" :yes: I want you to work an equovical value out of him only to be fair to you and your relationship. :D

Grizz, that looks freakin wild :yes:

Good on ya !!!

Lenny and Deneen :)

Air 22
03-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Randy...that drive looks AWSOME.;)..congrats...looking fwd to seeing u @ AOTH...:D

gcarter
03-08-2009, 07:42 AM
You are making a BIG mistake! You should have gone with a Bravo. You clearly don't know what you are doing. Oh, I guess that you will be going to a 1 blade prop!;)

Oh yeah, if you want to get rid of that POS Konrad, give me a call.

Ya know Hedge, you're right!
I think someone is missing from this conversation!:D

osur866
03-08-2009, 08:52 AM
Very nice Grizz, you must feel like a kid in a candy store when you went to pick it up :D

BigGrizzly
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey he doesn't like me or Konrad. That may be a blessing. This thing is making me very happy. It really is a quality product. Take this from a guy that worked in QC, for many years. They are the Navy's main supplier. When the honey-DOs are gone work begins and I will post results. Trust me if something is amiss you will hear about it. Don't hold your breath. I have been over this thing like white on rice.
BTW Lenny, Barb is working on the equal value as we speak.

BigGrizzly
03-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Steve, yes I did. Funny thing is I did not even touch it until they put it in the Expedition. Believe it or not that made me feel really special. These guys are tough. If something was bad I would have heard already. They tell it like it is, its their MO.

The Hedgehog
03-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Ya know Hedge, you're right!
I think someone is missing from this conversation!:D

No joke. That is a heck of a nice looking piece of equipment, it handles big power and fits right into that application. I just don't know how you could go wrong with that.

BUIZILLA
03-08-2009, 10:20 AM
very smart move.. :checkered:

LKSD
03-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Grizz, Im confident you will like the Konrad especially with the lower you picked. I have sold & installed quite a few of em' & they are built well & perform very well... I would be extremely supprised if you ever pop it on your application. They are built like a tank!.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

BigGrizzly
03-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Jamie, exactally why I went that route. I broke two TRS in 8 years. New one has 5 hours on it so and is still good but I don't want to mess around with the out drive.
Who knows what will happen this time on the dyno. Fact is as stated before, almost nothing stronger, and the change over is a breeze. Besides I want to PO boatless. just added plus. I will have first hand experience, so let the adversaries be ware.

sweet 16 1966
03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Congrads Grizz, I know it will put a smile on your face for a long time.

ITTLFLI
03-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Nice drive grizzy! Would u quit hangin out here and get that thing installed? :uzi: ;)

VetteLT193
03-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Looks hot! I love the 2 tone look too... so much so that after seeing them at the boat show I decided to paint my drive like that too.

can't wait to see it in person:drive:

Audiofn
03-09-2009, 08:01 AM
You are WAY ahead of me on your drives. I got mine over a year now and still have yet to open the box!!! Work has kept me away from my project and in this economy I have to take it when I can get it. I have driven the Top Gun with them before and after and they do work VERY well. I may try to put one of my drives on the Donzi and see how it works. I really would like to try the shortie on the thing as it would lift the prop I think almost 4" from the current depth of way to deep.

BigGrizzly
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Yes Russ, there is a smile on my face and new furniture in the beadroom.
I did not go with the shorty, I went with the HP. I feel the shorty would be too short for my usage. The The shorty ie the X dimension, Is 3.4 inches shorter and only a 1 inch and a 1/2 inch spacer are available, so I passed on it. Besides the speed at which my Criterion can travel is mid to high 80s +. Don't need it. Also the first rule of high performance is only make one change at a time, otherwise you don't know what made the difference.
Well Vette if you want to see it in person hurry, jump in your car and head up and you can help, new batch if Chili in the kitchen and exhaust fan is on in the shop:D.
Hear is my schedule: Today: Go in the shop and kiss the drive, Clean the work area, put tools away from last job. The if time permits, remove TRS:D. If there is still time remove transom plate, clean the transom and install NEW Konrad,real nice piece. I do not expect to install the drive to day. However if the adrenalin hits it is possible. 10 years ago it would happen but to day I am good but slow. Here is a cut-a-way picture. BTW, there is nothing junior Varsity about this unit.

JustMercMe
03-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks sweet Grizz! Can't wait to see it on the Critter!:checkered:

HOWARD O
03-09-2009, 10:55 AM
That is some purty piece of machinery right there. I wish I could jump in the truck and head down to help, that'd be great fun!

Was there a specific reason why you went with a new transom plate? You could have used the existing TRS plate, correct?

Also, you'll certainly sell this new Konrad to me down the road, when you finally realize you should've gone with Arneson, correct??? :redface:

VetteLT193
03-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Well Vette if you want to see it in person hurry, jump in your car and head up and you can help, new batch if Chili in the kitchen and exhaust fan is on in the shop:D.

I would if I could but baby #2 is here tomorrow...

Rodger
03-09-2009, 02:31 PM
So Grizz, you are sticking with the MercTrans?

Lenny
03-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Grizz, no sandbars with this thing,... please... :D

BigGrizzly
03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Yes I am sticking with the Merc trans. I have a velvet drive but I only will make one change at a time. O racing habits die hard. besides there really isn't anything wrong with the Merc trans. I lost the fixed on due to a lower unit issue causing it I havn't even taken it apart yet. I was going to do it this winter but other things happened so the spare merc trans is in the boat now.
Howard, I am putting a new transom plate on because my Wife wanted me to go for it. The Konrad will bolt directly on the original transom plate. In fact the Konrad transom plate is a good option if your transom plate goes south. This iis good since they are no longer made.
Update - TRS is off, and The transom plate is next. It was giving me some trouble so I decided to stop, it was getting late and I was tired. Did a lot today not just the TRS but some shop stuff too.
Vette, Great, Kids are a good thing. There in not a better reason in my book. Take care of the family

HOWARD O
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
This is a great project, I am really enthusiastic to see how it turns out. Good point about a transom plate replacement. If mine were to go south, I couldn't replace just the plate without having the WHOLE Konrad drive though!

Don't wear yourself out now!!!

MOP
03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Randy I am curious about the oil system on the drive, I see the porting and check valve. Do they spray the upper gears rather then immerse them?

MR MAGOO
03-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Randy I am curious about the oil system on the drive, I see the porting and check valve. Do they spray the upper gears rather then immerse them?

Randy, so glad you are pleased! You should gain some speed from the increased propshaft height. I wish we were closer, I'd be there for the install!

As for your question MOP, the Konrad drive is fully immersed in oil (Royal Purple, 6 qts) The check valve is for the drive lube bottle.

Kurt

BigGrizzly
03-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks Kurt, Part of this is because of you and your discussion with my wife, and her hands on the drive thing. Wife is in to quality and strength. this is why I de-tuned the engine - for durability. Howard you better be careful, Boatlassie is not going to like you for your pro Konrad attitude:D:D. As everybody knows, I really love my Criterion. It deserves the best I can do. I have kicked the drive thing around for several years. We sell IMCO, but there is too much change involved and I end up with a hydrodynamic XR drive. This way I get almost as Hydrodynamic and more strength and less work. After unpacking it at Honda and the engineers evaluation of the quality, I am thinking, if I had a Bravo boat I would go with the ACE, which is the same drive with a 7 inch stand off and a BAM velvet drive. also pretty much a bolt on too. There is no question about the strength and durability of the Konrad. I heard that someone broke one but no one has really seen one.

BigGrizzly
03-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Up date, I had to stop and work on the engine for the past couple of days. The transom plate is off, with a little help from EL Slide Hammer. Problem is I chipped some gel off around the stud hole and had to patch it. The transom is not soft:yes: So far I have 30 min in removing the drive. The transom requires disconnecting all the trim lines. I am installing a new trim pump as well, so with removing the pump and transom with the stuck studs another 4 hours, this includes cleanup of Hydraulic fluid. Take into account I am totally by myself, and I can't move around Like I use to. I did spend about 7 hours just screwing around fondling the Konrad and caressing the new trim rams- included in the kit. I am not busting my but by any stretch of the imagination. I am also dooing stuff to the engine too and it has to be done first as parts arrive.

TXDONZI
03-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Is this the boat that has the Cleveland in it? If so how are you rigging the bellhousing to the transom plate? Does the Konrad use a transmission? If so I never mind I already know.

Ed Donnelly
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Randy; Fondling and screwing the Konrad...
Does your wife know whats going on in that shop of your

Do you sell props because they are really screws???????LOL....Ed

Ghost
03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Randy; Fondling and screwing the Konrad...
Does your wife know whats going on in that shop of your

Do you sell props because they are really screws???????LOL....Ed

Not to mention "caressing the trim ram," a euphemism I may start using regularly. :)

BigGrizzly
03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
TXDONZI, no this is the 22 Criterion with the 502 procharger, It already has a transmission. The boat with the Cleveland is the Corsican and it has a Volvo 290 drive and is good just The way it is.
It looks like today is the day for the transom plate install and maybe the drive, if I get to work instead of screwing around. yesterday I finished the install of the new Procharger, making different brackets for the inter cooler and such for my hose routing. Don't get excited guys it isn't what it seems. I am putting on a bigger supercharger and cooler and keeping the same boost and try to get the same hp on 87/89 octane and better fuel economy. The though was a bigger cooler and charger turning slower makes air cooler. At this point I am starting to think the parasitic driver and the bigger blower may be a wash, just not sure but I will find out. I have to do this before I freshen up the engine. I will be selling the Polished M1 Procharger. The real truth the Konrad is much more exciting than the supercharger, the more I look at it the better it is. I keep finding better and stronger things on the drive. Poodle, If you were here you would really be kicking yourself, we should have done this last year. More pictures will follow. Wife even wants to help with the drive install.:yes::yes::bighug:

hot shot
03-13-2009, 09:07 AM
you still da man.... can't wait for a ride in your rocket mick:worthy:

Trueser
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Randy,
Southwest has 39.00 airfares to Texas.........

Giddi up

BigGrizzly
03-13-2009, 06:49 PM
OK here we go Konrad is installed. It was one of the most straightforward Jobs I have ever done. After I removed the transom plate and cleaned stuff up. Today I started about 11:30 and was done by 6:00, remember I did it all myself and no outside help. This includes moving stuff around to take pictures. I will let the pictures do the talking. This is from start to finish. The lasst picture is very interesting:yes::yes::biggrin.:

Lenny
03-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I think you should freshen up the 502 TO 540 to match the emblem on the drive... :)

Very nice looking job. :yes:

mike o
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Looks great, and the dependability... must give you a nice piece of mind. worth the price alone.

BigGrizzly
03-13-2009, 07:13 PM
I figured you would say something like that. I need to sell the M1 Procharger first to offset the financial drain. The idea is to get better fuel economy. I am trying to talk Garry into letting me have a fuel injected carburetor to put in the box, and run O2 sensors and a puter. It is hard to explain but is the best of both worlds- Trust me on this.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
OK here we go Konrad is installed. It was one of the most straightforward Jobs I have ever done. After I removed the transom plate and cleaned stuff up. Today I started about 11:30 and was done by 6:00, remember I did it all myself and no outside help. This includes moving stuff around to take pictures. I will let the pictures do the talking. This is from start to finish. The lasst picture is very interesting:yes::yes::biggrin.:

Randy,
I sure wish they had those drives available back when I had some 24' Excaliburs, a 20' Cigarette, and a GT21 with TRS drives. It just looks fast and stout! Did you once have a problem with the transom? I see some telltale stress fractures at the bottom of where the drive bolts up in one of the pictures. What do you expect your top speed will be now? Bill

BigGrizzly
03-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Bill, I checked and the transom is not soft. As for the crack it is just surface crasing probably because og the cork gasket. The transom plate had never been off. There could be soft at the bottom but no sound change. This boat had never been left in the water, It has always been on a lift or trailer. I am the fourth owner the other three were friends of one another so the history was easy.It has always been a lake boat. As for top speed I have no Idea, It would go 86 with thee and 3/4 tank of fuel. I did not go with the Konrad for speed but long term durability. The TRS is % hours old on the new rebuild, so it is sell able.
Of course if it does go faster cool. but that was not the intent.

BigGrizzly
03-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Del mar I just saw what you were referring too. That is where the stud scratched out of the bolt hole when it slipped from my hand. I opened it up to put gel past in the groove to fix it. The crasing I referred to you can't feel with the fingetnail. Sorry for the mistake.

The Hedgehog
03-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Looks nice Grizz. Very important looking.

A suspicious package arrived from Georgia this week. Upon further review, I noticed some cool looking prop hubs. I look forward to trying them.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Del mar I just saw what you were referring too. That is where the stud scratched out of the bolt hole when it slipped from my hand. I opened it up to put gel past in the groove to fix it. The crasing I referred to you can't feel with the fingetnail. Sorry for the mistake.

Randy,
I was referring to the surface gelcoat fractures which might indicate a weakened transom. Here is a picture of my 1971 that I have almost finished restoring. You can see the fractures that radiate out from the bottom holes. In my case, the transom was wet down there so it had to be replaced since it was now a weakened area that would only get worse. I wanted to point it out to you in case you had a similar situation. I thought I was seeing the same type radiating fractures on your transom. Maybe I was seeing something else? Just trying to help, Bill

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/Conquistador_del_mar/Badtransom.jpg

BigGrizzly
03-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Bill thanks, I did check for weak spots and did the moisture prob thing but I found nothing strange. BTW, I need all the help I can get, Like I said I'm an engine guy. If it was soft I would have to stop, the $$$ are not available. One thing I have been kicking around the XR drive vs the Konrad thing since I bough the boat. Now I am really glad I did it this way, so far I have not found any negatives, and I have been looking. Well I did find one. The rams are bigger then stock so I have to modify my manual trim indicator. thes babier are no light wait items.
Hedg, You are the first, with that hub, and I am the second with the big prop shaft. I was the first with the hub on the std. You just can't be first all the time. They are impressive are they not. According to the tests they are easier on the lower unit gears. Of course If I had them earlier I mite not have the Konrad:eek::biggrin:

The Hedgehog
03-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Bill thanks, I did check for weak spots and did the moisture prob thing but I found nothing strange. BTW, I need all the help I can get, Like I said I'm an engine guy. If it was soft I would have to stop, the $$$ are not available. One thing I have been kicking around the XR drive vs the Konrad thing since I bough the boat. Now I am really glad I did it this way, so far I have not found any negatives, and I have been looking. Well I did find one. The rams are bigger then stock so I have to modify my manual trim indicator. thes babier are no light wait items.
Hedg, You are the first, with that hub, and I am the second with the big prop shaft. I was the first with the hub on the std. You just can't be first all the time. They are impressive are they not. According to the tests they are easier on the lower unit gears. Of course If I had them earlier I mite not have the Konrad:eek::biggrin:

You should be very happy with the Konrad.

I really appreciate the hub. It will be getting a good testing in a few weeks. After a few rounds I will try it with a 5 blade. After looking at it and comparing it to a stock hub, I can't but think it is a nice piece of equipment.

Tex has been happy with his on the smaller shaft (sounds bad though).