PDA

View Full Version : Small outboard motor placement, 20" transom.

Lenny
03-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Folks, I am having a small 16' aluminum boat made/welded up for the cottage for use this summer. Something to carry food, washer/dryers, new stove, you know. I have not yet bought an engine (motor) but am leaning towards a 50-60hp Black one, maybe a Honda or Yammy. Don't really care actually. Just a 4 stroke. Right side mount steering and such, something that Deneen can "hop in" and come get me and tow me in from "who knows where" when I blow up a DONZI. :D

Anyways, where should I put the motor as in location? (Yes, I know, the transom) but what about height? The hull has a 15 degree deadrise and obviously this is not about performance, but instead of just hanging it on there so it rests on the support hooks would it be better located if it was raised up a bit? Or should I not worry about it and just hang it?

It will be through bolted. There will be no kicker.

thanx

BlownCrewCab
03-04-2009, 10:15 AM
I'd shoot for the cav plate about 1/2" above the keel. I had a 16' jon boat with a 40hp merc and played with hight alot, yes higher is faster but at the expense of low speed handling & cavitation.

fogducker III
03-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Folks, I am having a small 16' aluminum boat made/welded up for the cottage for use this summer. Something to carry food, washer/dryers, new stove, you know. I have not yet bought an engine (motor) but am leaning towards a 50-60hp Black one, maybe a Honda or Yammy. Don't really care actually. Just a 4 stroke. Right side mount steering and such, something that Deneen can "hop in" and come get me and tow me in from "who knows where" when I blow up a DONZI. :D

Anyways, where should I put the motor as in location? (Yes, I know, the transom) but what about height? The hull has a 15 degree deadrise and obviously this is not about performance, but instead of just hanging it on there so it rests on the support hooks would it be better located if it was raised up a bit? Or should I not worry about it and just hang it?

It will be through bolted. There will be no kicker.

thanx

Lenny, have the cavitation plate about 1/2" above the bottom of the hull.......one thing I do know is outboards.........oopppsss! Just saw the above post, ditto.........!

HOWARD O
03-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Agreed, plate same height or hair above bottom of keel.

I think the old tried and true method was raising it above that mark one inch for every 10 mph, once over 40 mph. Don't think that would be your situation with this boat.

Is your cottage on an island?

Lenny
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Is your cottage on an island?

Yes, ... Piers Island

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38042&d=1219345960

HOWARD O
03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, ... Piers Island

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38042&d=1219345960

That's gorgeous, Lenny.

BigGrizzly
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
I agree with the hight, now the brand, I am prejudiced to Honda( surprise), but Yammies are good and make the block for merc. At this point it would be price.

Lenny
03-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Good info all. Thanks :D