PDA

View Full Version : Hudson River ditching...

Tony
03-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Pretty cool animation, with audio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imDFSnklB0k&feature=email

:beer:

gold-n-rod
03-03-2009, 07:50 PM
I got this earlier today. It's amazing how little time elapsed from take off to ditching.

Very cool!!

mattyboy
03-04-2009, 09:08 AM
besides the bravery and cool handed calm manner in which the crew handled this, having lived my entire teenage live in the approach pattern for laguardia airport in the throgs neck section of the bronx. The approach and departure from laguardia is steep and over the most populated real estate in the world.
their runways are short and they have had problems in the past with planes winding up in the bay .

departures that day were leaving crossing over the bronx then manhattan climbing above the departures at teterboro and newark then off to their destinations. If you have every flown into laguardia the south approach and depature is directly over flushing queens and it feels like you are landing on a bldg top any met fan knows it , if the pattern was that way that day they could have ditched in the long island sound to survive the ditching but die in the freezing water with no rescuers right there or east river having to dodge the numerous bridge crossings to get sucked down by the fierce currents

but all things lined up right like someone was watching or said to sully this is what i put you here for this is what you trained for . they made it to the hudson not far from the ferry terminal in weehawken, and since 911 they drill on rescue and recovery emergencies and they went directly in action, amzing any where on that red line if they didn't make the water, or worse if they hit the GW bridge, or came down in the north bronx or spanish harlem 10 of thousands of people might have died.

I spoke to a friend who works near the bronx zoo and they were outside and heard the engines blow looked up saw the plane and thought omg here we go again.

truely an amazing story

the animation is pretty accurate except for the backgrounds are not anitomically correct alot has changed since 911

HOWARD O
03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Cool handed pilot, that's for sure. Like to hear Air 22's comments......