PDA

View Full Version : SM Exhaust Install

fogducker III
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM
So I got one of two boxes today in the mail, lucky it was the box containing the manifolds....risers are on route apparently.........?

I now realize the shift linkage mounting plate I have will not work with the SM system......I thought the risers bolted to the manifold.

Does anybody have a GOOD couple of close up shots and measurements for one of these so I can fab something up? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

PS. Damn are these systems well put together!!!!
PSS. I have the Gil exhaust tip "baffles"......leave them in or remove them...?

VetteLT193
03-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Stainless sells the bracket you need... probably best to ask Poodle first. I don't think it is that much money.

The round mount on the SM system is a whole lot better. I'd be happy to only have to deal with that bracket Vs. getting the exhaust to line up to the tips :uzi:

fogducker III
03-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Stainless sells the bracket you need... probably best to ask Poodle first. I don't think it is that much money.

The round mount on the SM system is a whole lot better. I'd be happy to only have to deal with that bracket Vs. getting the exhaust to line up to the tips :uzi:

I hear ya..........for the cost, shipping, taxes etc I think it would be way cheaper to just make something, I run a metal shop and have lots of stainless kicking around, just need to see what the original looks like....

osur866
03-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Dont know if this helps any but heres a few shoots of mine but I believe your linkage maybe a little different on the Scorpion engine, sorry I dont have any measurements. My linkage is inside the starboard riser and the ECU is inside the port riser. Steve

fogducker III
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Can you weld the bracket on, and repolish the risers? I could go and get the pre-made bracket and send it to ya. Should get there b4 summer :) :)

Worst part is I had one of those brackets sitting on my desk for over two years. I took it back to SSM recently, maybe it's still on his desk...

Trying to avoid welding, I thought i had the one that fit........WRONG.........I will look at Steve's pictures and see if I can figure something out, problem is my linkage reaches to the OUTSIDE of the riser....... looking at Steve's pics it is hard to tell how and where the base of the plate mounts...???

LKSD
03-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Jeremy, I see you did end up getting the system we talked about. Sorry I couldnt do more with the shipping for you.. Shipping stuff outside the US is a real PITA anymore & seems to be even more pricey anymore.. Anyway Im here if ya need me for anything else.. :) Jamie

Lenny
03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
So I got one of two boxes today in the mail, lucky it was the box containing the manifolds....risers are on route apparently.........?

I now realize the shift linkage mounting plate I have will not work with the SM system......I thought the risers bolted to the manifold.

Does anybody have a GOOD couple of close up shots and measurements for one of these so I can fab something up? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I can take some later tonight for you. The power steering on the port side is what I would watch for unless yours is down low and not on top.

Didn't your SSM come with the welded brackets on the risers? If you do not have the risers yet, then how do you know?

fogducker III
03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I can take some later tonight for you. The power steering on the port side is what I would watch for unless yours is down low and not on top.

Didn't your SSM come with the welded brackets on the risers? If you do not have the risers yet, then how do you know?

The risers/manifolds I bought on the site auction do not have the ECM, Remote Oil or Throttle Shift linkage brackets. I had a bracket from an Eddie Marine set up which mounts on the bolts that mount the risers to the manifolds, I did not realize the SM system welds the brackets on......

Not to worry I plan on making a bracket and fastening it to the two middle exhaust manifold bolts, my shift/ throttle linkage is set up for the outside of the riser so it will actually work out well, I hope...........:crossfing:

BigGrizzly
03-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Go foggy go you can make it work, I know you can.

fogducker III
03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Second box arrived this morning, ye ha! I was at work all day but on my lunch break made a bracket for the shift/throttle linkage. I swore to myself I would not put any "checker-plate" anywhere on the boat, but the little peice at the shop just said to me, "Use me, use me..."

Turned out OK I think, I had some high heat exhaust tubing kicking around so used that, all in all, I am happy with it, thanks again for the usual good advice and tongue in cheek ribbing, I appreciate it. Now for a beer or two...........:drunk:

mike o
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Second box arrived this morning, ye ha! I was at work all day but on my lunch break made a bracket for the shift/throttle linkage. I swore to myself I would not put any "checker-plate" anywhere on the boat, but the little peice at the shop just said to me, "Use me, use me..."

Turned out OK I think, I had some high heat exhaust tubing kicking around so used that, all in all, I am happy with it, thanks again for the usual good advice and tongue in cheek ribbing, I appreciate it. Now for a beer or two...........:drunk:....Looks great from here.:)

BigGrizzly
03-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Fog A man after my own heart. Looks great. It will be good- now go out and test it.

osur866
03-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Looks good to me, now go run it and tell us what the results are.

HallJ
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Did your manifolds come with plastic water fittings?

Jeff

fogducker III
03-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Did your manifolds come with plastic water fittings?

Jeff

They did, they call them "composite" but basically plastic, I did not install them I went for the brass ones with the stop-cock drain, makes it easier to winterize IMO........... I did use the plastic/composite for the top of the manifolds and the riser fittings.........don't see any problem with those, plus they are lighter than metal, might improve top end...??:drive:

HallJ
03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
They did, they call them "composite" but basically plastic, I did not install them I went for the brass ones with the stop-cock drain, makes it easier to winterize IMO........... I did use the plastic/composite for the top of the manifolds and the riser fittings.........don't see any problem with those, plus they are lighter than metal, might improve top end...??:drive:

Where did you get the ones with the integrated petcock?

have a picture?

Jeff

fogducker III
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Where did you get the ones with the integrated petcock?

have a picture?

Jeff

I had them in an old box of goodies on the workbench, I believe I got them from a plumbing shop, same sort of thing used to drain hot water tanks, I will try and get a picture next time I am "down-under"....;)

yeller
03-06-2009, 04:39 AM
Where did you get the ones with the integrated petcock?I've seen them at plumbing shops, hardware stores, automotive shops. Pretty much anywhere that sells small brass fittings.

fogducker III
03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
I pulled the boat out onto the driveway this morning and after moving the hose/flushing attachment that was mounted on top of the seawater strainer, I added some fittings a length of hose and a thru hull fitting on the transom. I fired her up to check all the hose connections and the exhaust/riser joins after the new install, all is good, no leaks and no problems what-so-ever..:yippie:

When I did first fire it up the engine was "searching" I believe with the changes to the exhaust the computer had to re-learn itself...? It ran rough and low idle for a minute or so and the idle changed a couple of times and then it found it's happy spot..........purred at 800rpm....temp was steady at 140* and good water flow.

I know, I should be out on the water, but I have my two kids this weekend and don't think it is the best idea to water test a new set-up with two young children on board.....:cartman:

It sure sounds good though...........:D

CHACHI
03-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Buy their lifejackets two sizes larger then they need. If they fly out, they'll skip across the water like a flat rock. You can tell them it's "part of the ride"....

Oh, that's what you call it, thanks.

And a "ride" it is.

Ken

fogducker III
03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Buy their lifejackets two sizes larger then they need. If they fly out, they'll skip across the water like a flat rock. You can tell them it's "part of the ride"....

Usually when we go I just put them both in one, that way, when they fly out I find them together and don't waste any boating time looking around for two.........:D

I just don't like the idea of something breaking down after a major, well in my world a major, install/change to the boat. It means I have to sit with them for a long time on the tow back.........;)

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Fog, take them anyway. If you break down you can call it quality time:D:D. It worked for me.

Lenny
03-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I am not out there to give you a tow yet Jeremy. The aluminum boat (the new one) won't be ready till May. :D

I do have the little 12' and 9.8 tho. Give me a call if need be. ;)

fogducker III
03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I am not out there to give you a tow yet Jeremy. The aluminum boat (the new one) won't be ready till May. :D

I do have the little 12' and 9.8 tho. Give me a call if need be. ;)

Thanks for the offer, I think...?

Did you find a motor for the new tin boat? I might have a line on a couple that would work.....

fogducker III
03-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Fog, take them anyway. If you break down you can call it quality time:D:D. It worked for me.

You are 100% right Grizz............any time with the kids is great, I see them a fair amount of time but never enough...........I think this time of year here is a little cold for them to enjoy a ride, I have no problem taking them boating, just time and place logistics..........;)

This is my son last time out in the Donzi and both of them last time we went prawning, man was it cold!!!.........

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Time for an indoor movie and food:D:D

fogducker III
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Time for an indoor movie and food:D:D

You don't have time for a movie and food..........you have a Konrad to install, right?;):D

smokediver
03-15-2009, 07:57 AM
got any updates on this project ?

osur866
03-15-2009, 08:59 AM
got any updates on this project ?
Yeah what are your final results???

fogducker III
03-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Until I get the labbed 27P Mirage Plus back from having a little 'cup" put in her, I don't know, but having run the 23P on numerous occasions and most recently with the new exhaust, I got a little over 2mph more, so it should be interesting with the 27...........:yes:

It is windy and trying to snow here right now...........damn I hate winter........:mad: