PDA

View Full Version : Our Yellow lab got Skunked! - help!

Patti
03-02-2009, 12:25 PM
J and I watched tv until 11 or so last night and had the dogs go out to do their business before bed. I was in the bedroom vacuuming up some carpet fresh and I hear J screaming. I open the door and all I hear is.
Dylan got sprayed by a SKUNK...

Holy crap...

Well first off, the dog came IN the house..big mistake but it's like 2 degrees out..so I can't blame him for running in the house.

I call the vet, and jump online, looking for ways to de-skunk. Aha!...Dawn, baking soda and peroxide. We stick him the tub and he gets the bath of his life and trust me, he wasn't happy about it.

Poor thing got sprayed in his MOUTH..so after giving him some pasta sauce (tomatos..vet advice)..and some Altoids..yes thats right..he loves Altoids but it didn't cover the skunk breath (poor dog)

He's clean..his coat is clean..his breath is another story and my house..well..I don't quite know what to do about that. It'd be lovely if I could open the windows but nooo..it has to be frigid outside.
Thankfully I can't breathe or smell so i'm not missing out on much. and the same for Jamie....but i'm wondering if eventually i'll get used to the smell and not notice it?!

Suggestions anyone? on how to get the skunk out?!

Bless Jamies heart since he bathed him while I was just pissed that he got sprayed..I was beyond aggravated!

Those of you who've met Dylan know how sweet and laid back he is...poor thing has dragon breath today.....................thankfully he loves Altoids!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/clean1.jpg

BlownCrewCab
03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Been there done that, Nothing Really gets the smell off, and everytime he gets wet for the next year he'll smell a Lil skunky. we tried the peroxide, baking soda, dish soap mix, it helped a little. you may have to do tomato juice though, something about the acidity helps break down and kill the smell. I didn't do it since my dog is pure white. the skunk spray actually staind her hair yellow where it made contact. Good Luck..

VetteLT193
03-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I did some googling: "Nature's miracle" was suggested as well as this stuff: http://www.biocidesystems.com/roomshocker1.html

hope that helps.

justleft
03-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Nothing really helps !!! A bath every day will knock it down with time. There are some real scarey sounding remedies around the web.
But I am not going to put anything on my dogs skin that I wouldn't put on mine.

My Shiba's have been skunked a few times now. :bonk: The male took it in the face at 2am and then killed the skunk. I was sleeping in the screen porch
and the smell woke me up. My eyes and mouth were burning !!! He was covered with blood. So I had to bath him at 2 am to figure out where all
of the blood was coming from. Not his, thank god !!! His eyes watered black stuff for 2 days. (Not sure who smelled worse, him or me)

The only thing that remotely helped was to put out dishes of white vinegar. My wife says it kills the smell but I think it just numbs your
smell receptors.

Patti
03-02-2009, 01:28 PM
i read the same thing! dishes of white vinegar and boiling coffee grounds...
I cant smeel much due to allergies but it seems to be better today...poor Dylan..ask Cliffy (bertram boy ) 0r Mattyboy about how sweet he is...poor thing has had to deal with so much over the past 24 hours lol....all I can say is....
Thank god for Altoids! lol

Marlin275
03-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Our dog was skunked many times
we found that hair conditioner works best
use almost a whole bottle of it
really rub it in and wash off
the oil of the hair conditioner overcomes the skunk oil
it absolutely works!

The area around the dogs nose usually gets the worst smell
as that is what the dog goes in with.

Carl C
03-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Patti, a hot soapy bath helps but it really just takes time for the smell to wear off. Usually a few days to a week. Do you have good outdoor provisions? If not you may need to fix her up a bed in the shop or a garage. I have outdoor kennels and a door that can let them into the small garage if it's really cold (like today). I can leave them out when I am out of town and have a friend feed them. Usually they come in at night. It just takes time. My dogs have been sprayed several times and it means a hot bath and a few days outside. nbd. The pups are doing great btw.

MOP
03-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Having been personally skunked many years back when I was down south I know what does work, tomato juice!! Laugh if you must but a good slathering down of tomato juice got rid of the sink by the time I got out of the shower, I asked if they knew what makes it do the job they had no answer just that it did. Check the link below, it also has info about eye ointment or drops.

http://www.animalhealthcare.ca/contents/content.asp?id=106&cat=cats

Phil

Ed Donnelly
03-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Patti; I have never lied to you and won't start now..

What do skunk farms use??? Coke Classic

Ginger my beautiful Shar-Pei got sprayed twice a year, she would use the waterfountain as a springboard to clear the 6' fence...What works best??
Skunk Off byThornell Corp. any Pet Value

.....skunkodorgone.com...........has great tips..........Ed