PDA

View Full Version : Going to check out a 22 Classic.

txtaz
03-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm going to look at a '97 22 classic later this week. It has a '99 454 I think is MPI with a Bravo 1.

If I buy it, we won't be abe to use it untill we get some serious rain or I put a cooling system in it and hit the coast. (HM here we come) Our lakes are literally "Duck ponds" in the San Antonio area.

Also, the asking price is 18k, what would you offer for a pretty much standard 22 in todays economy. I don't want to rip the guy off, but I do want a good deal. It books at $19.7 avg. retail.

I haven't looked at a boat in a while so I figure I'd ask for pointers.

Thanks.

Da Taz

Pismo
03-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Why the new engine? What abuse did it endure to require a new engine? Salt? Hopefully that is it.

BUIZILLA
03-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Sofa Kings ?

chappy
03-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Description fits.

txtaz
03-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Sofa Kings ?

???? What do you mean? It has 396 hours on it and he says fresh water only which is believable since it's in Austin.

He also stated it was run with Mobile 1 20-50 and Redline Shockproof heavy gear lube. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks for the help.

Da Taz

VetteLT193
03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
???? What do you mean? It has 396 hours on it and he says fresh water only which is believable since it's in Austin.
He also stated it was run with Mobile 1 20-50 and Redline Shockproof heavy gear lube. Does this mean anything to anyone?
Thanks for the help.
Da Taz

If they say Mobil 1 and Redline that is usually a good sign, you can at least know the guy cares to buy good products and knows something about maintenance.

asking price seems really fair. can't say about the market. seems like some don't need to sell so they get what the want whenever the right buyer comes. the ones that have to sell get what they can get from the sharks.

jimishooch
03-02-2009, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the help.

Da Taz

need to lake test it if it passes initial look see.
i'll be glad to meet you and check it out.
receipt on the engine would be good.

jim

txtaz
03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks Jim,

I'll give you a call when I hear something from the seller. It would be nice to meet a local Donzinitte. I'm assuming your in the Austin area with a 512 area code. Know anything about the lake levels up there? I've only been on Travis which is HUGE.

Thanks,

Da Taz

roadtrip se
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Wes, you have been trying to steal somebody's boat for several years now.

But, THAT was during a good economy. As somebody said earlier here, with the way things are now, you just might get somebody to give you their pride and joy, depending on how dire their circumstances are. On the other hand, they might reach over and smack you one, too.

Economy or no economy, you ALWAYS get what you pay for. Good luck with your search, I have some duckies who need a home!

txtaz
03-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Wes, you have been trying to steal somebody's boat for several years now.

Steal??? Nope, I want a good deal, always have and always will. Call me stingy for taking advantage of a situation but I will be fair. It's the same as when I'll buy a ton of GM and Ford when they hit $1/share and they become a part of the Federal System like some banks. It's just being smart with the money I have.

I have some duckies who need a home!

I think I need an anti-duckie alarm system installed.:nilly:

Da Taz

roadtrip se
03-02-2009, 11:59 AM
That would be a 2:00 penalty for an unrelated analogy.

I would suggest you call in your "fair" offer, if this truly is the infamous Sofa King's boat. He could crush you.

Good luck. Now I wonder how I get a small plastic duckie up under the cockpit of a 22. Rattle, rattle.

jimishooch
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks Jim,

I'll give you a call when I hear something from the seller. It would be nice to meet a local Donzinitte. I'm assuming your in the Austin area with a 512 area code. Know anything about the lake levels up there? I've only been on Travis which is HUGE.

Thanks,

Da Taz

i live on lake travis and yes the lake is 27' down and no relief in sight but there is still plenty of water to boat.
suppose to have good weather this weekend.

jim

p729lws
03-02-2009, 01:48 PM
He also stated it was run with Mobile 1 20-50 and Redline Shockproof heavy gear lube.
Da Taz

I like moble one 20-50 in my motor and redline Shockproof heavy in tranny.

I'm betting it's Sofa King....

Taz, do a search of his old posts before you go so you'll now what you're in for...

Dan

txtaz
03-02-2009, 03:00 PM
It's confirmed. It's sofa king. I got some pics from HM.

Da Taz

jimishooch
03-02-2009, 03:08 PM
looks good and shiny. just need an address, time and day. . . . . .

txtaz
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Working on it Jim. I left him a message. Do you have a preference? I'm thinking sometime Friday morning.

Da Taz

CHACHI
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Wes, Sofa King bought that boat off the boards from a guy in Illinois.

Search the Donzis for sale and info should be had.

Ken

jimishooch
03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Working on it Jim. I left him a message. Do you have a preference? I'm thinking sometime Friday morning.

Da Taz

after 10 am works for me.............

txtaz
03-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks Ken,

I'll check into that.

BTW, Have fun at Georges. Ask him to take you to the ice cream shop on main street Villiages. Good stuff.

Da Taz

CHACHI
03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Wes, please don't tell George, but that is the purpose of the trip.:wink:

Ken

txtaz
03-02-2009, 04:45 PM
You might also check out the beast I built for him called Minx02 while you're checking out the red boat.

Da Taz

MOP
03-02-2009, 04:48 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44176

Sure is a very big lake it is running in!!

mattyboy
03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
wes,
this might be a long shot here, that is the same graphics as sheas Black hawk boat, hard to tell without the waterline stripe but it does seems to have some rocker in the hull, check the exhaust pipes to see if the x is up this may have been a BH boat, could explain the repower

txtaz
03-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Matty,

He gave me a call and said the original owner intentionally blew the '97 454 in order to get insurance to replace it with a '99 MPI.

Jim, We are on for Friday morning at Lake Austin. He says someone is looking at it tomorrow so I will confirm on Thursday and give you a call on time and location.

Da Taz

Air 22
03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Taz... do self a HUGE FAVOR and get a marine survey done....You will not only have a piece of mind but you will know EXACTLY what u r getting into. The professionals that do survey's will find what u may miss...check the hull for moisture etc..its $$ well spent :wink:

Good Luck...sure looks like a fun boat!!:)

jimishooch
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks Matty,

He gave me a call and said the original owner intentionally blew the '97 454 in order to get insurance to replace it with a '99 MPI.

Jim, We are on for Friday morning at Lake Austin. He says someone is looking at it tomorrow so I will confirm on Thursday and give you a call on time and location.

Da Taz

sounds good
jim

Pismo
03-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Run.....

txtaz
03-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Run.....

Uhmmm, which way?

Da Taz

Just Say N20
03-03-2009, 06:38 AM

That's pretty funny. :jestera: :D

txtaz
03-03-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44176

Phil, That is a different boat. This one came from Il to TX bypassing FL.

Da Taz

txtaz
03-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Checking out the boat today was something else...

We met at Sofa King's house in Austin a few minutes late due to traffic and met up with Jim who has a Minx and Sofa King. I hit the bathroom, too much coffee on the road. Seems like a nice guy, personable.

Next we head out to check out the boat. It looked ok, nothing too serious. Some spider cracks in the cockpit, chipped paint (yes paint that was clear coated) and lime all over the drive. Nothing really unfix able. There was also small hooks on both port and starboard side. Nothing as serious as George's.

So we head out to Lake Austin for a test run. Sofa King backs the boat down the ramp and Jim drives off to park it while we float around getting it started. "It had been run out of gas and not be used since last September" he says. After 4 or 5 tries it fires and purs just like an EFI should. We run around the lake for about 45 minutes. The boat is solid and runs very well. No hiccups from the motor, perfect cooling great oil pressure. I drive it back and open it up. Hit 4400 rpm's on the 454 and trimmed out for best speed. I'm guessing somewhere around 65mph.

We head back to the dock so we can hit the road. At the dock Sofa King asked Jim if he would back the trailer in, Jim was a little hesitant so I said I would do it. I learned at like age 13. Seriously, my Dad made me move trailers around the marina storage lot. I back in, Sofa King drives on, winch up and I pull them out. No biggy.

We said our goodbyes, I said thanks for taking the time and we were off.

Just south of Austin on our way home, I stopped for gas. My cell phone rings. It's sofa king.

This is the conversation...

"Hey Wes, it's ..."
"Hey what's up", I say.
"Hey I was here at the house and a friend came over and said what did you do to the front of your truck? It's all bashed in."
"Are you serious" I say
"Did you or the other guys hit something with my truck"
"I didn't, I don't know about Jim, I was with you. But there is nothing around to hit."

"Do me a favor" he says. "On Monday, don't call about buying the boat."

CLICK.

I'm dumb founded and tell Mrs. Taz. She said maybe that was the margaritas talking. WHAT? He offered my wife a margarita right when we got there and right after he had just gotten up. Folks this was 12:30 PM. Turns out he offered Jim one as well.

OK RT, you warned me. You were right oh wise and mighty one. I deserve rubber duckies for not heading advice.

In hind sight, Mrs. Taz called it. I asked what she thought. She didn't like it because it was not taken care of like our boat. And looking at his house and truck, I have a hard time believing he took care of the boat.

What a day. I should have known better to drive an unknowns truck. That's just asking for trouble, even in a trailer lot.

It was nice meeting Jim. Great guy and relatively local. We'll stay in touch.

Da Taz<---The search continue.

mike o
03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Holy:cussball:

BigGrizzly
03-07-2009, 07:24 AM
We all though he was an opportunist. I remember his posts what a job he is. I think boatless is his thin brother, just a little smarter.

roadtrip se
03-07-2009, 07:56 AM
here since you called and let me do it in person.

You have to hand it to the Sofa King, at least he is consistent and if possible,
predictable.

Next. Hurry up, I'm almost done drilling holes in these plastic duckies you "gave" me and filling them with BBs for their re-gifting. They need a home...

txtaz
03-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Next. Hurry up, I'm almost done drilling holes in these plastic duckies you "gave" me and filling them with BBs for their re-gifting. They need a home...

I'm trying, I'm trying...

BTW, The specs for the anti-duckie alarm are done. But I will add a metal detector to the system just in case.

Also, If we don't make AOTH, how about Thousand Islands? We will be up that way around that time.

Da Taz<---"I survived the Safa King Club" President and founder

jimishooch
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
my thoughts on the day.........
it was good to meet wes and jennifer and i do hope we keep in touch.
i don't know about you guys but when i have a boat to sell and splash she's hooked up to the truck and ready for the road. my boat would also be sparkling clean inside and out ready to take home by the new owner. that wasn't the case yesterday.
boat was still in the backyard covered up and had an expired tag. the trailer tires were low and had an expired tag. who knows when the bearings had service, the owner had no clue, otherwise the trailer was in good shape.
the hull and keel were in great shape but had more than noticeable nicks in 4 different colors of paint at the aft side hulls and transom. makes one want a solid color side hull. the rub rail was in good shape.
once the cover came off; the cockpit needed cleaning. the carpet was in good condition but needed a shampoo. the upholestry was in good condition, no rips or tears, but needed a thorough cleaning and treatment. there was spiderwebbing on the floor, in the middle, right at bench. the deck, aft deck and windshield were in good condition.
the engine compartment had water in it, from where who knows. i turned on the batteries and the bilge pump went right to work. at least the batteries were on an onboard charger. mechanically this boat was great. the speedo wasn't working but other than that i can't complain. i didn't drive the boat but i did enjoy being in the back seat for a change. wes put the boat thru it's paces and it seemed to track very well. engine sounded very good.
other than the cosmetic issues this 22c has alot of promise. it would need a complete service including the drive. right off i would do impeller and t-stat.
other than the owner not being serious it was a nice change of pace not being in the market for a boat and just enjoying the day.

jim

CHACHI
03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
You guys are spelling his name wrong.

It's not Sofa King, it's So Fa-king (mis-spelled on purpose).

Just an observation.

Ken

Just Say N20
03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Like, you went to look at his boat because it was priced Sofa King low? :D :jestera: