PDA

View Full Version : Well its back in...

harbormaster
03-02-2009, 04:29 AM
With all the paint done and all the accessory stuff installed, it was time to go in. FYI the engine was painted Mercury Racing Blue PPG concept paint with silver pearl added. This thing looks better than the Boat!!

There is a reason I don't do this crap for a living. My skin is so thin I leave blood all over every thing. It took me about 2 hours by myself to drop it in and bolt everything up. The rear starboard engine mount was a freaking bitch. The polished stainless electronics box that was so cool and that I just really had to have, was not my friend back there.

One nice tip I can pass on. As you drop in your engine, leave it a little forward. This is a nice time to bolt up your power steering lines. Then you can move it back and drop the rest of the way in. Previously I did not do this and it was a chore.

All I have left is hooking wires on the starter, trim indicators and install drive and hatch. I should be back on the water tomorrow. I now have time to dial it in for AOTH.

MOP
03-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Looks good! I suffer from the same blood letting! JFG's recheck the alignment!

Phil

harbormaster
03-02-2009, 05:26 AM
No alignment Phil.

I rigged this boat with solid race mounts and the engine will only bolt in one way. If the bolts all go in, Its aligned. Kinda makes it nice.

txtaz
03-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Looks great Scot.

Don't forget the fluids. Just a friendly reminder.

Have fun

Da Taz

MOP
03-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Scot I must have missed why it came back out in the first place, hope was not a costly thing.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
03-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Butchers gloves come in handy for bleeders like us:wink: ....Ed

BUIZILLA
03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
another Plavix partner.. :nilly:

donzi2287
03-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Sorry for saying this....this is a 500hp with a Demon? If so, let me know I just put the same power in. I bought Ted's 27 labbed hydro and starting to like it. I also have CMI exhaust and cooling crossovers. I'm still trying to get the engine tuned, maybe you will have some advice. Thanks!

harbormaster
03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
no its just a 454 with a couple of "mods"

donzi2287
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Cool...Hope it all works out. :odie:

harbormaster
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Here are some in the boat photos...

fogducker III
03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Nice job Scott, VERY clean install...........:D besides the blood.........;)

MOP
03-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks very nice, I suspect you are taking advantage of those long tubes hanging out of the back. Look long enough for a street cam!!!

ITTLFLI
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Looks great!

harbormaster
03-07-2009, 03:51 AM
Yeah Phil,

It was really bizarre. I had already put 6 hours on it when I spun 4 rod bearings and burned up all the mains/crankshaft.

As far as I can tell it was caused by the combination of spacing between the oil pickup, the pan, and the high volume pump. We think there was cavitation that caused the engine to starve for oil with 8 quarts in the pan.

I went back with a non-high volume pump and a different oil pickup (Moroso). I had my machinist double check everything. He snagged a really nice used crank and rods. He took pity on me and charged me 400.00 for all parts, machine work, and long block re-assembly.

As for those long risers, I had the short ones I was going to use with diverters but I just did not have the room, so I found the long ones on the shelf and used them instead. They run straight out the back and are sealed with a metal ring and rubber gasket. The water dumps into the exhaust about an inch from the end. They sound great. ALSO all I have to do is under the nuts at the manifold and the whole exhaust system comes out quickly. I like these a lot and recommend then to everyone.

Donziweasel
03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Scot,
Very nice! Love the color. I am with you about not doing this for a living. My hands typically a mutilated at the end of an engine pull or install. I think I could save time if I just stuffed my hands in a blender for a minute or two.....:D

When is the test run?

LKSD
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Lookin good :) ..

Team Jefe
03-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Scot, When is the test run?

and can I go with you to blow it up this time too:uzi:

WHAT? you don't believe in all that superstitious karma getting jinx by somebody saying something stupid stuff anyway..........

harbormaster
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Jefe, Did I mention that I heard your outboards making a funny noise last time? Oh wait! That's the sound they make when they are running.....:uzi::p

http://www.toyvault.com/nightmares/Voodoo%20Dolls%20-%20Large.jpg

The Hedgehog
03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Jefe, Did I mention that I heard your outboards making a funny noise last time? Oh wait! That's the sound they make when they are running.....:uzi::p

http://www.toyvault.com/nightmares/Voodoo%20Dolls%20-%20Large.jpg

Priceless!

harbormaster
03-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Here is some video of the final tuning taking place. I leave that to our lead tech. He is really good. (actually he does not want me touching it.):biggrin.:

http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ff9XzjqkoE&hl

harbormaster
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Here is a link to video of the final tuning taking place. I leave that to our lead tech. He is really good. (actually he does not want me touching it.):biggrin.:

fogducker III
03-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh my.....................:eek::worthy:

BTW. It looks like those tabs are even longer than mine.............:orcawhale:

harbormaster
03-12-2009, 02:49 PM
swim platforms....

MOP
03-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Sounds a bit on the wicked side, may you get several seasons out of it or at least until the next mod stage!!!

HOWARD O
03-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Here is a link to video of the final tuning taking place. I leave that to our lead tech. He is really good. (actually he does not want me touching it.):biggrin.:

Damn that sounds good. My boat wants one of those engines when it grows up! :yes:

widowmaker
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry for saying this....this is a 500hp with a Demon? If so, let me know I just put the same power in. I bought Ted's 27 labbed hydro and starting to like it. I also have CMI exhaust and cooling crossovers. I'm still trying to get the engine tuned, maybe you will have some advice. Thanks!

Eddie,
I've been meaning to get in touch to learn how the prop did on your boat. When you get a chance, please let me know.
Ted