PDA

View Full Version : 18C Fire Suppression...?

fogducker III
03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Working on the boat today and had a stuck/rusted bolt, put some heat to it and eventually it came loose, moved on to the next project, replacing the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter, all was going well until I was removing the fuel line at the fuel filter, it was on tight and I had to pull and pry, then it came off in a hurry and sprayed fuel everywhere, INCLUDING the bracket that I had heated up to get the bolt out of............:eek:

When it hit the hot metal, yes it was still hot from the torch, it sizzled and started to vapourize but thank god it did not flash over...........:eek::frown:

Got me thinking about when I was a kid on a friend's boat and the stove caught on fire, scariest thing in my life...........galley was on fire, got it out but a lot of damage..........so I would like to have some sort of fire protection on the 18, problem is, where to put it? Mounting a fire extinguisher is a gamble, no matter where you put it, at some point it will be in the way..........

What do you guys think of a small Halon system in the engine well? If it is a viable idea, where would you mount it.........? Thanks for any input, scared the crap out of myself today picturing the 18 going up in flames...............:shocker::kaioken:

osur866
03-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Jeremy, my is mounted back of the seat let me see if I have a pic. Steve

osur866
03-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Here ya go, its where the Factory mounted mine and it's pretty easy to take in and out for those days when you feel like "going in." Mine happens to be out right now.

VetteLT193
03-02-2009, 08:24 AM
can you tell us what model that unit is?

I was trying to figure out the cubic feet calculation a couple of weeks ago and I didn't find much info. I don't know if you have to calculate the added area that goes up the sides of the boat or if the small unit is enough??

osur866
03-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I will get a # for you later today or tomarrow. Steve

CHACHI
03-02-2009, 03:19 PM
The bottle in my 22 is mounted the same way.

Ken

VetteLT193
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I will get a # for you later today or tomarrow. Steve

Thanks!!

fogducker III
03-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Visited a buddy at the local fire extinquisher shop today.........talked to him about the best unit, he disappeared into the back and came out with this, covers 75 cubic feet, $50...........:yes::wink::wink:

I am happy now and so will the Coast Guard be..........:)

CHACHI
03-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Is it wired to the helm so tou know when it is "armed".

Green idiot light on the dash says "all is well".

Ken

fogducker III
03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Is it wired to the helm so tou know when it is "armed".

Green idiot light on the dash says "all is well".

Ken

As far as I know it works off 200+ degree lead/tungsten "release" valve..... no need to power anything up or turn anything on or monitor anything. Just need to weigh the bottle once a year...........:confused: Stupid simple IMO.........

osur866
03-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Thanks!! Here is the #'s and info for ya.

rr1048
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
These fire suppression units are great! I have on installed in my 20' Cigarette. If I recall they need to have the idiot light installed to be Coast Guard approved. "The green warning lamp provides constant monitoring of the system to comply with U.S. Coast Guard requirements for system approval." this is information from the Fireboy website.

It might be worth checking out to be safe and legal. Safe boating!

fogducker III
03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
These fire suppression units are great! I have on installed in my 20' Cigarette. If I recall they need to have the idiot light installed to be Coast Guard approved. "The green warning lamp provides constant monitoring of the system to comply with U.S. Coast Guard requirements for system approval." this is information from the Fireboy website.

It might be worth checking out to be safe and legal. Safe boating!

We Canucks are a little behind I guess, if less rules means behind........I believe, I am Googling this as we speak, as long as you have a fire extinquisher or fire suppression system on board that covers the appropriate area you are good to go........... I will update and eat crow if I find out different........

osur866
03-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes mine is wired in and I have a green light on dash.

gold-n-rod
03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
My understanding is that if you have a CG approved automatic system (monitor light inc) that you don't need another device (handheld). If you don't mind carrying both, then you can do without the monitor light.