PDA

View Full Version : aluminum finishes

brwn234
02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm making some aluminum fender holders out of flat stock. I could polish it but upkeep would be a pain. What other options do I have for finishing bare aluminum to keep it from oxidizing and getting stained and dirty. Preferably something I can do myself. Powder coating requires alot of equipment but what about anodizing? I'm gonna post some pics as soon as soon as I'm done.

knots2u
02-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Try clear anodizing.

Planetwarmer
02-28-2009, 11:08 PM
You more than likely can not anodize yourself. That requires equipment and acids. To powder coat, you need an oven large enough to bake your peice and a powder coating gun.

Powder coating will help to retain (actually add) a nice shine.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm making some aluminum fender holders out of flat stock. I could polish it but upkeep would be a pain. What other options do I have for finishing bare aluminum to keep it from oxidizing and getting stained and dirty. Preferably something I can do myself. Powder coating requires alot of equipment but what about anodizing? I'm gonna post some pics as soon as soon as I'm done.

It is easy to just clear coat the aluminum with an automotive clear after wiping it down with a prepsolve wax, grease, and silicon remover. I have cleared quite a few aluminum pieces with no adverse problems. You can polish it before clearing, but make sure to clean it before painting with the clear coat. Some people will tell you it will not stick or it will fracture with the expansion of the aluminum when it gets hot, but that is not my experience. Polishing aluminum is easy with compound and a buffer, but expect a black pad as you do it - same as polishing SS. Bill

gcarter
03-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Maybe your best result will be paying someone else to powdercoat the parts. I think polished motorcycle engine parts are clear pawdercoat. They seem to hold up quite well.

BlownCrewCab
03-01-2009, 07:36 AM
When I worked at Cougar we built boats from aluminum, the way to stop corosion is to "Alodine" the metal. it is a chemical you spray on. It kinda leaves a goldish hue to the metal. Big CB & TV antennas are usually alodined and they last for years and years.

BigGrizzly
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Soap and water cure a lot of the problem- I am learning from my mistakes.

hot shot
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
clear them with a good autumotive clear or if you are looking for chip resistance use a product called armor coat....amy@armorauto.com and you'll have a clear finish that is very chip resistant... its used for fronts of motor homes, lower areas on sports cars and you can use it as a spray on bra... just my 2 cents

DC18
03-01-2009, 05:35 PM

Try GLISTEN PC by POR15inc. We replaced the roof on our house six years ago. The valleys have copper in them. I used this product on the copper as a test. The copper still looks like brand new and is still extreamily shiny!
If it works on the roof, being exposed to all the elements (I live in ILL),
it will work on any polished metals you would have on your boat. I'm going to use it when I bling :drool: the daylights :shocking: out of my boat. This stuff is incredible. BTW, it takes three days to cure. It is also flexible and incredibly durable.
A pic of my roof and the product.