PDA

View Full Version : Last ditch attempt

Cuda
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't like to put my troubles out there, like a friend of mine say, "Don't tell your friends your problems, tell your enemies.

Be that as it may, if there is anyone who can pull a couple strings to help me to get into Shand's Hospital at the University of Florida, I could use the help.

The problem is I have a brain tumor, it's not cancerous of anything, but has affected my ability to walk, and my memory is fading fast. It's called acoustic neuroma. I've about exhausted every avenue I know to be admitted there. I need what they call a "gamma knife" for the surgery to remove the tumor. The problem is that I live in the wong county. I live in Volusia County, and Shands is in Alachua County. I contacted Shands, and sent them the MRI reports. The head of neurosurgery said I was a perfect candidate for the gamma knife. The doctor's office manager said she could get me right in, but that's where the trouble started. She then asked about medical coverage. Since I live in the wrong county, they can't get me in. There is still a lady named Sherry, trying to get me admitted.

http://www.shands.org/hospitals/UF/service/neurosurgery/radiosurgery.asp

Shands gets most of it's funding through the state, and federal government. My cousin is a doctor in an ER in New Orleans. My aunt called him, and he called Shands. I've contacted the governor, and my US senator (Mel Martinez). I don't know if they have the time, or the willingness to help. It's crunch time. If it takes much longer, I'll be a total invalid. I'm not much of a proponent of socialized medicine, but I see no reason to not be treated based on the sole fact I live in the wrong county
http://www.anausa.org/what_is_an.html

gcarter
02-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Joe, could you rent an apartment in Gainsville or something?
It isn't all that far from where you live.

Ghost
03-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Joe, could you rent an apartment in Gainsville or something?
It isn't all that far from where you live.

George beat me to it--seems like it might be a way to go.

BUIZILLA
03-01-2009, 05:48 AM
what county do you NEED to live in?

gcarter
03-01-2009, 06:45 AM

Gainsville and UF/Shands is in Alachua County.
I think all you would need to prove residency is some utility bills.

McGary911
03-01-2009, 09:04 AM
The apartment is a great idea. When I moved to JAX, I had something fall through. First place I called had an apartment ready for me in 1 day. I was moved in 3 days later, so this is something you can get done very quickly. Good luck.

boxy
03-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Cuda, I can't offer much help from way up here, but I hope everything works out.
Good luck.

Cuda
03-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Alachua

Cuda
03-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Gainsville and UF/Shands is in Alachua County.
I think all you would need to prove residency is some utility bills.

Yup.

Cuda
03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Split an appt with your cuz, neighborhood doesn't matter, have mail forwarded, use the deposit for the utilities as proof of residency..
I'll drive past Shands tomorrow, going to a jobsite. Have been for a few weeks.

Cuda
03-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Cuda, I can't offer much help from way up here, but I hope everything works out.
Good luck.
Thanks, it will. I have yet to fail at anything due to a lack of effort on my part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg&feature=related

Tony
03-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Hate to put a crimp in the apartment idea, but I'm guessing they have a minimum requirement for residency status. Years ago college tuition in California was free for residents, but you had to live there one year to qualify.

Sad state of affairs that a necessary medical procedure is withheld due to affordability...

Good luck, hope something works out.

gcarter
03-01-2009, 03:30 PM
Hate to put a crimp in the apartment idea, but I'm guessing they have a minimum requirement for residency status. Years ago college tuition in California was free for residents, but you had to live there one year to qualify.

Sad state of affairs that a necessary medical procedure is withheld due to affordability...

Good luck, hope something works out.
Joe already lives in Florida, it's just a matter in what county.

Tony
03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Joe already lives in Florida, it's just a matter in what county.

I understand that. The CA example was to show that, if something special is offered to residents (city, county, state, etc.), there will usually be a certain time period that you have to be a resident to qualify.

MOP
03-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Joe my heart is with you it will work out!

Cuda
03-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Joe my heart is with you it will work out!

Thanks, Phil.

Ed Donnelly
03-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Joe; Sent you a P.M. ...............Ed

VetteLT193
03-02-2009, 09:22 AM
hang in there Joe. A guy I work with just had brain surgery at Shands. He's living in an apartment provided by the American Cancer Society.

That might be an avenue worth looking at.

mattyboy
03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Joe,

we pulling for ya here, contact all your representatives leave no stone unturned, this might sound hokey but call the local news station, if they have a problem solver, or consumer affairs reporter. plus any other organization who might belong to or support a VFW or Elks or Moose lodge, Church or trade organization.

I had a good friend a iron worker in the city, with terminal cancer, the treatment to ease his pain and give him some more time was a $2000 pill twice a day, the insurance company wouldn't pay for it a call to the union, then a call to the insurance company from the local that the local was changing insurance companies
he got the treatment he needed.

hang in there, someone out there will see the injustice here and lend a hand

Cuda
03-02-2009, 10:29 PM
hang in there Joe. A guy I work with just had brain surgery at Shands. He's living in an apartment provided by the American Cancer Society.
That might be an avenue worth looking at.
My tumor is non cancerous. They say in most cases you go home the say day, often as good as new.

Cuda
03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Joe,
we pulling for ya here, contact all your representatives leave no stone unturned, this might sound hokey but call the local news station, if they have a problem solver, or consumer affairs reporter. plus any other organization who might belong to or support a VFW or Elks or Moose lodge, Church or trade organization.
I had a good friend a iron worker in the city, with terminal cancer, the treatment to ease his pain and give him some more time was a $2000 pill twice a day, the insurance company wouldn't pay for it a call to the union, then a call to the insurance company from the local that the local was changing insurance companies
he got the treatment he needed.
hang in there, someone out there will see the injustice here and lend a hand
I sent this letter to Senator Mel Martinez earlier tonight. I'm taking a pro-active approach. It is my life they are playing politic with.

I writing in regards to getting admitted to Shands in Gaineville. I know they receive a lot of funing through the state and US governent. I need to be admitted quickly into Shands Neurosurgery Department. I have a medical card that covers distict seven, which does not include Alachua. I have a cousin that graduted from UF as a doctor, and his brother graduated aa a lawyer. My cousin who is a doctor told me that Shands is a "terceraty" hospital, which basically means they have to take in anyone, because of the state and federal funding. I have been paying state and federal taxes for 38 years, and see no reason why I should be denied medical help based soley on the fact I llive in Volusia, instead of Alachua County.
Shands is one of a handful of hospitals that do "gamma knife" surgery, which is only available at a handful of hosptials in the state.
I contacted Shands, and was ask to fax my MRi, and MRI report. The head of neurosurger looked at them and said I would be a perfect candidate. His office manager said they could get me right in, but when she discoverd I live in the wrong county, there has been no movement since. A girl in his office said she knew a woman that could get it pushed through, but I've called back several times, and she said the woman hadn't gotten back to her yet, but she is still trying.

Bottom line is, the tumor is still growing (acousti nearoma) and I can barely walk with a cane. When I was first diagnose in September, I just walked a little funny. Now it's affecting my memory also. If I don't get in soon, I will be a total invalid.
My business is just this month thriving, after being nearly non-existant when the housing market crashed. If I don't get help soon, not only will I be without a source of income, so will the employees and spouses of them who are dependant on my work.
I've called Charlie Christ's office, and have gotten no results.
I am not schedule for even a neurologist until April 30th. The he will have to make me an appointment to go to a neauronsurgeon, which may take another six months that I don't have.
Thanks you for you attention to my dilema.
Joseph A Griffith

RedDog
03-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Good luck Joe. Hopefully that letter will get results.

Cuda
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Just read where several gangstas had a shoot out in Lake City. They were airlifted to Shands, and I can limp there? I'm going to call the guv again tomorrow.:banghead:

Ghost
03-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Ditto Reddog's thought--I hope that letter will get some results. -Mike

Cuda
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
I just sent this message to Governor Charlie Crist.

His number is 850 488 4441

http://www.flgov.com/contact_governor

I'd like to know how some gangsters in a shoot out got airlifted to Shands, when I can't get in for some neurosugery I deparately need, for the simple fact that I live in the wrong county. I'm going to die in the wrong county unless I can get someone to cut through the red tape to have me admitted. The head of neurosurgery said I was a perfect candidate for the "gamma knife" and could get me right in. Instead, I get progressively worse. It sickens me to know that some low life gun toting hoodlums are treated better than I am

Can someone explain that to me?

MOP
03-03-2009, 08:13 PM
DAAMN Now your talking Joe keep giving he hell!

Phil

Cuda
03-03-2009, 09:40 PM
DAAMN Now your talking Joe keep giving he hell!

Phil

I will be on a mission next week.

chappy
03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
Good luck Joe. Keep pushing, someone will answer the call and do the right thing. This needs to happen, and it will.

MOP
03-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Joe I would call your state and local news media, maybe you have something like what is up here. We have 7 on our side, maybe they broad cast down by you. Bureaucracy sucks!

Cuda
03-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Joe I would call your state and local news media, maybe you have something like what is up here. We have 7 on our side, maybe they broad cast down by you. Bureaucracy sucks!

Call the govenor's office. I'k sre they don't have the voting rles there.

Lenny
03-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Joe, this is of NO help. I am sorry.

What I want to convey to "folks" is that,

A) you need immediate medical attention

B) you should get it

C) what the $uck does it matter where you live in the USA ?

I know there are no proponents to socialized Medicine there, (except the poor and lazy) but I can tell you this. :yes: Here, that is NOT elective surgery. It is required and required NOW. You could have it ANYWHERE in Canada and get it done, now, for free.

I don't like this post. It saddens me. :(

I can NOT believe it is a "where you live" County ,...thingy.

Hence why I have my coverage from here when I go there (for free) and an easy million up front to your surgeons without costing me a penny.

Some of the Left is obviously not right, but, truly, some of it is.

I hope you get better and don't have to jump through any more hoops. :)

Ghost
03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Joe,

(Your mailbox is full, so I am posting this here.) I just sent a letter electronically to Governor Crist's office. Still thinking about other things that might help, but I can't say that I'm having a lot of good ideas yet. Have you looked into any other places, like Johns Hopkins and the Cleveland Clinics of the world? Further away sure, but potentially capable of the needed procedure?

Regards, and keep fighting. I have tremendous faith in you, and will keep trying to think of anything I might do to help.

Mike

txtaz
03-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Everyone, please post contact information for Representatives, news, Governor etc. Maybe a mass barrage from us will help things along.

I've tried from my end to no luck.

Thanks,

Da Taz

Cuda
03-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Joe,

(Your mailbox is full, so I am posting this here.) I just sent a letter electronically to Governor Crist's office. Still thinking about other things that might help, but I can't say that I'm having a lot of good ideas yet. Have you looked into any other places, like Johns Hopkins and the Cleveland Clinics of the world? Further away sure, but potentially capable of the needed procedure?

Regards, and keep fighting. I have tremendous faith in you, and will keep trying to think of anything I might do to help.

Mike

There is a Shands, and a Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. I've tried them both.

Cuda
03-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Jackson's Sylvester Center (http://www.jhsmiami.org/body.cfm?id=1717) has one also, and I can tell you from experience they are one of the best in the country.. Nose around their website a bit Joe.
I'll have my dad call there today. Mom and dad came over yesterday. I'll be on a job in Gainesville right by Shands.
I might have to get some Green and Orange gear.
Thanks Scott.

Cuda
03-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Joe, this is of NO help. I am sorry.

What I want to convey to "folks" is that,

A) you need immediate medical attention

B) you should get it

C) what the $uck does it matter where you live in the USA ?

I know there are no proponents to socialized Medicine there, (except the poor and lazy) but I can tell you this. :yes: Here, that is NOT elective surgery. It is required and required NOW. You could have it ANYWHERE in Canada and get it done, now, for free.

I don't like this post. It saddens me. :(

I can NOT believe it is a "where you live" County ,...thingy.

Hence why I have my coverage from here when I go there (for free) and an easy million up front to your surgeons without costing me a penny.

Some of the Left is obviously not right, but, truly, some of it is.

I hope you get better and don't have to jump through any more hoops. :)
I'd go anywhere in the world to have it done. It's my own fault for not getting health insurance. My best friend is in insurance, and a few years ago, I checked into getting catastrophic health insurance, but never did.

txtaz
03-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Have you tried the Blue Foundation?

http://www.forfloridashealth.com/info/about.do

Da Taz

VetteLT193
03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Joe, I used to work for Medicaid. It might be worth applying. Considering your line of work you might be able to get in by massaging the numbers a bit. you didn't hear that from me though.

If you get in, don't pick an HMO. go with Medipass. assuming it hasn't changed much, you can go anywhere you want with Medipass.

Carl C
03-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't have health insurance. When I needed double hernia surgery the hospitals in the USA wanted over $10,000 for an outpatient procedure with a 10% failure rate. I did some internet research and found the Shouldice Hernia Hospital in Toronto. I had to wait a few months but I got in and got it done for $4,500 USA. That included a week stay and two separate surgerys a day apart and they use a more effective procedure with a 1% failure rate. I would do more research on the procedure you need. It must be available elsewhere and maybe you can get it done in Canada. American hospitals will eat you alive. They have to write off a lot of indigent care, insurance costs etc. If you can find a clinic that can do it outside of a hospital, that would save you a bundle too. Good luck.

Cuda
03-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I'll have my dad call there today. Mom and dad came over yesterday. I'll be on a job in Gainesville right by Shands.
I might have to get some Green and Orange gear.
Thanks Scott.
Dad called there today while I was at work. He asked what it took to be admitted, and the person said to make an appointemt, and come a little early to fill out paper work. I have the direct line to the person I need to speak to in admitting. Dad said he had to wade through 30 minutes of phone maze to get there.

I wonder how I look in orange and green?
Thanks again, Scott.

Cuda
03-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I don't have health insurance. When I needed double hernia surgery the hospitals in the USA wanted over $10,000 for an outpatient procedure with a 10% failure rate. I did some internet research and found the Shouldice Hernia Hospital in Toronto. I had to wait a few months but I got in and got it done for $4,500 USA. That included a week stay and two separate surgerys a day apart and they use a more effective procedure with a 1% failure rate. I would do more research on the procedure you need. It must be available elsewhere and maybe you can get it done in Canada. American hospitals will eat you alive. They have to write off a lot of indigent care, insurance costs etc. If you can find a clinic that can do it outside of a hospital, that would save you a bundle too. Good luck.

The county is supposed to take care of my medical, through state and federal funding (read taxes), that I have been paying since I was 15.

Cuda
03-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Have you tried the Blue Foundation?
http://www.forfloridashealth.com/info/about.do
Da Taz
I'm not sure, but I think that is what I have. There are 7 districts in Florida, and Volusia is not in the same district as Shands.
I'll double check though, thanks!

Cuda
03-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Joe, I used to work for Medicaid. It might be worth applying. Considering your line of work you might be able to get in by massaging the numbers a bit. you didn't hear that from me though.
If you get in, don't pick an HMO. go with Medipass. assuming it hasn't changed much, you can go anywhere you want with Medipass.

I have a girl I'm seeing, checking into that. Her best friend (25+ years), runs a ministry, and has a book with different things for people to get help.

Cuda
03-06-2009, 11:59 PM
I have plenty of orange n green stuff for your visit Joe..
All I ask is for one picture :) :)

Hell, I dance a jig in orange and green, though my cuz will have fit. He's going about four blocks north of the home of orange and blue tomorrow to button up a job. :)