PDA

View Full Version : Defrag programs

MOP
02-28-2009, 10:23 AM
What are the thoughts on defrag programs such as Ultimate defrager and JkDfrag, Microsofts defrag is rated so so.

Phil

Ghost
02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Can't speak to the differences amongst them. I bet the dedicated packages are probably better than the base MSFT in some ways. But I strongly suspect that, like wax, the most important factor is regular use rather than what you use.

txtaz
02-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Ghost nailed it...

Set up a scheduled task to run in the middle of the night depending on how many file deletes and program install/uninstalls you do.

I would imagine once a month would be good for you. My server time shifts live TV so I defrag daily. I use the M$ defrag which is good enough. I've noticed no difference over Norton.

Da Taz

MOP
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree I do regular maintenance, defrag and scan disk once a month also full virus deep scan once a week. I have read some very good reports on Ultimate Defrag and have been checking into JkDfrag also, a local tech I know swears by Ultimate. He says load speeds are reduces dramatically by the way it rearranges the programs, I have down loaded it but like to do a little more sluething before I jump into things. I have been using Auslogics defrag and reg cleaner for awhile they seem to do a decent job.

Phil

boxy
03-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Can't speak to the differences amongst them. I bet the dedicated packages are probably better than the base MSFT in some ways. But I strongly suspect that, like wax, the most important factor is regular use rather than what you use.

I agree with Howard, setting up a regular waxxing appointment is very important for a harmonious household...... :D

DonziJon
03-16-2009, 07:03 PM
I recently evaluated O&O Defrag (Free). O&O seems to be highly regarded by those in the know. I guess I am NOT in the Know. After I fooled around with it for maybe six months.....This program can't SUCK enough. And... I should BUY the better version??.. I don't think so. On my system it takes WELL over an hour to run.

SO: I went back to the "Stock" Defrag that comes with XP-Pro. I run it about once a week.....after running CCleaner. I run the defrag twice in a row. It takes about TWO Minutes the first time and imediately afterward I run it again and it takes under a minute.

Just my experience. John.

EDIT: Oh Wait: WTF do I KNOW. I don't even have a Cell Phone. Call me Backward. Can you imagine my general attitude if I had to deal with a Cell Phone? Just Sayin.

Ghost
03-16-2009, 07:25 PM

I agree with Howard, setting up a regular waxxing appointment is very important for a harmonious household...... :D

I agree with Howard a lot too.

Mike :biggrin.:

justleft
03-18-2009, 03:59 PM
DirMS (Do it right Micro Soft)

The best. But, no pretty graphics. http://www.dirms.com/

Haven't tried the Compact feature but some said can take days.