PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Under Liner

donzi182003
02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey guys I have the black rubber under my carpet in my 03' 18 that is dry rotting and basically disintegrating at, and around all the snap locations. This baffles me as the carpet is in basically new condition, rarely gets wet, and I hang it in the garage after every use. Has this happened to anyone else? If so what have you done to repair it?

Thanks,
Ed

gcarter
02-27-2009, 03:25 PM
What's disintegrating, the carpet, or the cockpit floor?

CHACHI
02-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I am guessing the black rubber backing.

I had some of these issues in my Minx and I chalked it up to carpet quality.

Ken

MOP
02-28-2009, 09:39 AM
My 16 had the same thing happen from the snap out to about 3 inches, next is a guess that seems to prove out. The new carpet in my 22 (now 3 years old) shows no signs of the backing going bad, the new carpet has no snaps. I think the snaps are the culprit. I think the the off and on pressure/compaction of the backing in the area of the snaps is causing it.

BigGrizzly
02-28-2009, 09:55 AM
That is a common problem. I have not figured it out yet and neither have the carpet companies. I asked several. The pat answer is take the carpet out and hang after every use.:frown:

Ghost
02-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm speculating yet again, but if the backing material is actually some kind of rubber, I would think there were a number of possible issues, depending on its makeup and what it is exposed to.

Natural rubber and synthetic rubber age differently. (Hardening versus turning to mush, for one.) They also react differently to heat, water, salt (I think), etc. Not a materials engineer, but I gather blends of synthetic and natural rubber are engineered for for certain uses.

I wonder if somebody just bought the wrong rubber. <insert joke of your choice here>

Curious if the damaged areas exhibit either of the classic symptoms: turning to mush or losing pliability and crumbling. To be honest, I can imagine the possibiltiy that taking them in and out all the time might turn out to be the worst thing for them (lots of extra pulling and flexing), despite the effort, discipline, and best intentions. Especially if you don't normally get the carpet wet.

Again, just thinking out loud, I openly admit I don't know squat about it.

-Mike

knots2u
02-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Might have been a glue down backing or possibly automotive carpet used in a marine application. I don't know what type Donzi supplied as original but cost was certainly a factor. All rubber needs some type of integral or supplemental lubrication if it is going to rub on a dry surface. :wink: