PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Generator Question/Help

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Cleaning out my Mom's garage yesterday, I decided to fire off the generators that we used last after Hurricane Dennis came through Pensacola in 2005. My brother in law didn't shut the fuel valve to empty the carb for storage to one of them.. He did drain the fuel tank, but not the carb. I cleaned the carb, put in some fresh fuel and fired it off. Started second pull, but it is surging. the throttle is linked to a rod that attaches to another lever that goes inside the engine. The engine lever is pulling the throttle open and then closes it. Is this the governor that works this? The unit is a Tecumseh 10 HP for a 5000 watt generator.

What do I need to do to stop the surging?

The other two generators we have are bigger units 8500 with Briggs & Stratton engines, I ran the carbs dry on them, they started first pull, after sitting for 3 1/5 years.

Hopefully, they will not be needed anytime soon, but I don't want to have to work on them if we do.

VetteLT193
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM
is the carb gummed up? it could be running lean, which would send the RPM's up, which makes the engine roll back RPM, then cycles over again.

I'd check the carb, clean it out with carb cleaner.

If it still does it, put load on it, but use something that will be ok with a non-stable power source... the old C9 X-mas lights work good if you have a few strings of those laying around.

Adding the load may get the Genny to warm up all the way and burn more fuel to clear any junk out.

zelatore
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
hmmmm....that reminds me that I've got an old Colman genny sitting out in the shed that hasn't been started in over a year...:boggled:

Loud sucker, and heavy. But I'm too cheap to spring for a Honda.

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Pull carb, disassemble, soak in carb cleaner, reassemble, toss in trash, order new one..
Pretty much how it goes on them with todays fuels..
"If" there is a Tecumseh model/S-N on the engine, we might be able to locate a carb.. Coleman was notorious for having proprietary engine part numbers to prevetn the aftermarket tecumseh dealers fom getting parts, some of their carbs are impossible to decipher..

I disassembled yesterday, soaked in carb cleaner, reassembled, blew compressed air through all passages, put in fresh fuel, it started second pull.

Coleman Powermate 5000 ER

Model #PM0525202

Serial # 73011250

Tecumseh 10 HP

Trash pickup is Monday. :boggled::yes:

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 11:26 AM
hmmmm....that reminds me that I've got an old Colman genny sitting out in the shed that hasn't been started in over a year...:boggled:
Loud sucker, and heavy. But I'm too cheap to spring for a Honda.

I'm with you on the Honda Generators...$$$$$$$

Yes, the Tecumseh is almost as loud as my Donzi! especially at night when you need it for fans, refrigerators, window A/C for the bedroom on those HOT POST HURRICANE nights!!!

I own the house behind me that my mother lives in, adjoining properties, so for two households, 3 generators are good to have on hand.

The Donzi makes a great fuel storage facility for hurricane gas storage too.

Ghost
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Sounds like a lot of us aren't taking care of our generators. I have a Coleman as well, that I also neglected to start all last year. About two weeks ago I checked on where to dispose of the old gas (figured better to siphon off the quart or so still in it) and feed it new. Hope it isn't too gummed up...

BUIZILLA
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I have a Coleman, got a carb from a mower shop..

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
The coleman model/S-N is no use, they are out of business, or in reorg or something.. Look carefully at the tecumseh for model number info. A GOOD local lawnmower shop "might" be able to ID it for you, but from here I can't.

Thanks for looking. I'll check around some small engine repair shops too.

BlownCrewCab
02-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Just cause it's surging doesn't mean it's bad, Hook a bunch of stuff to it so it has a load on it and see if it runs better. when it's just free wheelin with no load the governer will make it "Hunt". Perfectly normal..(or my pressure washer is Fu*ked up and I didn't know it)

handfulz28
02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Is the fuel delivery just a hose direct to the carb or is the carb bolted to the fuel tank? My mower and psi washer use the same B&S engine with carb bolted to tank. Apparently the gaskets/spring/filter go bad and a $5 kit fixed 'em.

If it's been sitting for that long with fuel in it, it'll need more than just a soaking. You need to get at the low speed jet/passage and clean that out with carb cleaner/small wire/forced air. Or just take the carb to a shop and get a new/refurb.

The low speed passages are super tiny. Letting fuel sit turns to varnish and clogs the passage ruining the ability to idle.

One more thought: does the fuel line have an inline filter? Some do and that probably needs replacing also.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Just cause it's surging doesn't mean it's bad, Hook a bunch of stuff to it so it has a load on it and see if it runs better. when it's just free wheelin with no load the governer will make it "Hunt". Perfectly normal..(or my pressure washer is Fu*ked up and I didn't know it)

Exactly my thoughts. My Coleman 3500W generator will surge until it has a decent load - then it settles out. Bill

mrfixxall
02-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Yep! put a load on it and it should rev up, with the newer fuels now a days you may need to adjust the screw on the side of the carb,the one in the float bowl is for the higher rpms:wink:

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Is the fuel delivery just a hose direct to the carb or is the carb bolted to the fuel tank? My mower and psi washer use the same B&S engine with carb bolted to tank. Apparently the gaskets/spring/filter go bad and a $5 kit fixed 'em.

If it's been sitting for that long with fuel in it, it'll need more than just a soaking. You need to get at the low speed jet/passage and clean that out with carb cleaner/small wire/forced air. Or just take the carb to a shop and get a new/refurb.

The low speed passages are super tiny. Letting fuel sit turns to varnish and clogs the passage ruining the ability to idle.

One more thought: does the fuel line have an in line filter? Some do and that probably needs replacing also.

Carb is mounted to the Tecumseh engine, fuel line from tank to a clean fuel filter/screen to carb. I did take the carb apart, cleaned with carb cleaner, a "B" steel guitar string (I save old guitar strings for things like this), blew it out with compressed air. Took the needles out and used steel wool on them to remove varnish that carb cleaner wouldn't remove. All passages are clear.

I did put a load on it with my leaf blower, no difference, still surges.

Could the float level possibly cause this?

BUIZILLA
02-27-2009, 01:15 PM
set the gov tension spring jam nut to 125 volts measured at the receptacle outlet...

motorcity
02-27-2009, 03:40 PM
A mis-adjusted govenor will cause the rpms to hunt,up and down. You can probably google adjusting the govener adjustment procedure. Their are some good small engine forums out there.

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 04:14 PM
A mis-adjusted govenor will cause the rpms to hunt,up and down. You can probably google adjusting the govener adjustment procedure. Their are some good small engine forums out there.

Thanks Motorcity, I found this website...

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/governor_adjustment.html

I was thinking this might be my problem. When I removed the carb, I had to bend the linkage to get it off, so I'll follow these instructions and see what happens.

I'll get back on it tomorrow morning and post the results.

BigGrizzly
02-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Barry that linkage is the governor. If you fix it it should be fine as for a load a leaf blower isn't enough, use a 1500 watt electric heater.

Barry Eller
02-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Barry that linkage is the governor. If you fix it it should be fine as for a load a leaf blower isn't enough, use a 1500 watt electric heater.

Hey Randy, I don't have a electric heater, Poodle suggested a space heater, I don't have one of those either... will a refrigerator have enough of a load? Or maybe a coffee pot?

BigGrizzly
02-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Yes a big heat gun will work also.