PDA

View Full Version : you're kidding, right?

zelatore
02-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Sometimes you have to wonder exactly what people are thinking.

Today I got a call from somebody that just left me shaking my head.

Guy calls up and says 'my buddy has an old Carver, 30' I think, from around 1980; can you tell me if it will fit on my 25' Sea Ray trailer?'

(no, seriously - that's what he asked)

My response: Well no, I have no idea. We're not a trailer dealer. Carver hasn't built a trailerable boat in decades; the smallest thing they build these days is a 35' flybridge - and that's nowhere close to trailerable.

guy: So this boat is 35 feet?

me: (???) uh, I thought you just said it was 30 feet? I don't know what your buddy has...

guy: is it a flybridge then?

me: (suppressing anger/frustration) I really don't know what your friend's boat is since I've never seen it...

(this goes on for a few more rounds)

guy: do you rent trailers then?

me: no - like I said, we don't handle trailers

guy: do you know anybody who moves boats?

me: Sure - try Rio Linda Trucking in Sacramento.

guy: oh, can they move boats? Do you have their number?

me: yes, they can and do move boats, but you've called my cell number and I'm actually on a boat myself now so I don't have their number with me.

guy: oh, if I call your office can they look up the number for me?

me: They're in the phone book...

We then had 5 more minutes of me trying to explain how to spell Rio Linda so he could look it up.

That was 10 minutes I could have better used watching grass grow or staring at the sun....what's with people, anyway?

HOWARD O
02-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Sounds like one of those morning radio show's prank calls. That's unreal.....and think of how many out there just like him! :boggled:

Lenny
02-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Don, you can BET he voted for McCain/Palin :yes:

:D

Just Say N20
02-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Somebody's not playing nice. . . .:yes:

gcarter
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM

Lenny, Lenny, Lenny....... what does that say about all the mislead people who voted for the winner? :frown:

Do ya think they're gettin what they voted for?

Titan
02-26-2009, 08:50 PM
It's unreal, I'm not sure how some people make it through life. I got a call from a customer today that we serviced his car over a month ago. He accused one of my guys of stealing his cigarette light from his car. After a five minute conversation trying to assure him that I am possitive that this was not the case, I told him I would call the dealer and get him another one. When I called Acura with his serial # they informed me that his car never came with one and it was only a 12 volt power outlet. I took great pleasure in phoning him back to let him know, he has only been driving the car for two years. Some People!:nilly:

Donzi Vol
02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Don,

Did you not like my prank call today? Only kidding...or am I?

Ghost
02-26-2009, 10:12 PM
That's a great moron call! Would take genius to craft something that stupid.

Reminds me in that way of a commercial for the newly-formed GMAC back in the 80s, lampooning traditional lenders who don't understand cars and the car buyer. A customer is standing in front of two stuffed shirts at a bank. Can't recall exactly, but went something like:

Suit #1: May we help you?

Customer: Yeah, hi, you see I'm shopping for a car and-

Suit #1: <interrupts> We don't sell cars.

Customer: Right, I'm trying to get a LOAN for a car.

Suit #1: Well, what kind of car?

Customer: A Fiero.

Suit #2: Is that an Italian car?

Customer: No, it's a Pontiac. <shows Fiero brochure>

Suit #2: Oh, that's pretty!

Suit #3: <a scowling older woman with glasses down on her nose, walks past, stops momentarily, turns to customer in a snooty tone> It's none of my business, but that's NOT an Italian car. <walks away>

Customer: Right, it's a Pontiac, made by GM.

Suit #1: GM?

Customer: Yeah, you know, they're the people who make Pontiacs, Chevys, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Cadill-

Suit #2: <interrupting> You understand we're going to have to know what you intend to DO with all these cars...

Carl C
02-27-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm actually on a boat myself now

Lucky you, I'm still waiting for the ice to melt. Cleaned the cockpit and put the prop on yesterday. Come on spring...........

zelatore
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Nah, he 'thinks' he voted for Obama/Palin.

Perhaps the worst thought is that he voted at all!

The really scary part is, I have a trailer that would certainly be big enough to handle what he wants to tow - it's a triple-axle Eagle steel trailer we took in as a trade. It was under a 34' Sea Ray Sundancer. Freakin' BIG boat on a trailer!

But can you just imagine the liability if I let this brain surgeon use it???!!!:eek:

Maybe later I'll tell you about this call from earlier in the week:

'Hi Don? My harbor master just called and said my boat is sinking. Can you go take a look at it?'

(fwiw, it only sank a little)

apollo24
02-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Don,

Since we are in the same business, we have the same stories. I have no idea how these people get through life, and somehow stumble upon money to buy extremely expensive boats.

I can't tell you how many times in the past month I have heard "but I owe XXX, so I need to net XXX. I show these people hard data on what their boat is selling for but they just don't get it. I have to relate it to real estate and market pricing, and then, sometimes, they'll understand.

Good thing we Donzi folks are the cream, right? :wink:

Barry Eller
02-27-2009, 02:38 PM
I can't tell you how many times in the past month I have heard "but I owe XXX, so I need to net XXX. I show these people hard data on what their boat is selling for but they just don't get it. I have to relate it to real estate and market pricing, and then, sometimes, they'll understand.

It is the same in the Automobile business...they buy a car, no money down, even finance the sales tax, then want to trade it in a year and get what they owe on it. So I just Quit!!!:kingme: I love being a house husband...hummm, I need to think about what to cook for dinner before the Wife gets home...:pimp:

dfunde01
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
You guys will love this

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1389/saturday-night-live-dont-buy-stuff#s-p1-st-i0

dfunde01
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
You guys will love this.

Ghost
02-27-2009, 05:48 PM
You guys will love this

Very nice. :D

BigGrizzly
02-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks I needed that.

txtaz
02-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Along those lines:

When I first started programming as a consultant, I made the mistake of using my real data in a database. One night at home I get a call from someone who bought the program. He said his program wouldn't print. So I asked what kind of printer he had...

I'm not kidding here...

He said "You mean I have to buy something else to make this program print?"

That's up there with the built in computer coffee cup holder in my book.

Da Taz

Ghost
02-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Along those lines:

When I first started programming as a consultant, I made the mistake of using my real data in a database. One night at home I get a call from someone who bought the program. He said his program wouldn't print. So I asked what kind of printer he had...

I'm not kidding here...

He said "You mean I have to buy something else to make this program print?"

In the early 90s, a contractor I used to work with did computer HW support all over. Got a call once to go into the NSA (yes, THE NSA) because a guy had a mouse that wouldn't work. He was holding it like a remote and clicking it at the PC.

My friend explained it to him gently. I'd have sat down, run through some menus, banged some keys, stood up and pointed it just like he did. I'd have slipped my finger under, rolled the ball where I wanted, and pronounced it all fixed...and then bolted for the weekend.

BigGrizzly
02-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Ghost, you are bad to the bone:yes::yes::yes:

Cuda
02-28-2009, 01:23 PM
In the early 90s, a contractor I used to work with did computer HW support all over. Got a call once to go into the NSA (yes, THE NSA) because a guy had a mouse that wouldn't work. He was holding it like a remote and clicking it at the PC.

My friend explained it to him gently. I'd have sat down, run through some menus, banged some keys, stood up and pointed it just like he did. I'd have slipped my finger under, rolled the ball where I wanted, and pronounced it all fixed...and then bolted for the weekend.
Please don't tell me this guy was in any way asscciated with OUR national security.

Here's his sign!