PDA

View Full Version : best 10....

BUIZILLA
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
don't shoot the messenger, but they may be right on this time...

I like the Ford quality comments, same thing i've said for a while now..

Consumer Reports: 10 best cars - Best in class (1) - CNNMoney.com (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/autos/0902/gallery.consumer_reports_top_picks/index.html)

zelatore
02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
uh....no.

BTW, I'm sure there are people here who like the Avalanche, but I just don't get it. If I can't haul a motorcycle in the back or a sheet of plywood, is it really a 'functional' truck?

HOWARD O
02-26-2009, 04:04 PM
If I were to buy an American car tomorrow, it would be a Ford all the way. Not only for quality reasons, but simply because I am confident they're going to still be around for the full length of the warranty!

I have to admit the Avalanche looks a lot better than when they were first introduced. When it first came out, I thought they forgot to take the disguise cladding off! Fugly as could be. I agree with Zelatore, I still don't see the function of this vehicle at all?

HOWARD O
02-26-2009, 04:06 PM
It's the ten best cars report..

Avalance is listed as the best pickup in the same report. Way off the mark in my opinion.....I wouldn't classify it as a pickup. A car maybe.......

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
If I were to buy a car tomorrow, you can bet it would be American

zelatore
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I think the early versions of the Avalanche were perhaps supposed to be badged as Pontiac's. Hence the special body cladding for that family resemblance. :wink:

As for buying an American car - yeah, Ford would be at the top of the list with a few exceptions. The CTS-V for example. But in terms of cars every day Joe's might actually buy in any volume, Ford's got it going on right now.

Now if they'd just find about 50 hp for the F150...:nilly:
(and where's the diesel they promised?)

Air 22
02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
American all the way:wink:...I hope Cadillac makes it:crossfing: We luv ours...and I'd take the CTS or CTS-V over the G37 anyday...How do they come up with UPSCALE as $32k-37K??:boggled: ...I see UPSCALE cars everyday....and the G37 isnt one of them..:bonk:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/reviews.aspx?year=2009&make=Cadillac&model=CTS&trimid=-1

zelatore
02-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Of course, we have to remember this is CONSUMER REPORTS! These are the same idiots who ranked the Wrangler as one of the worst vehicles on the market due to 'poor ride quality'. uh....yeah, but I bet it rides better than YOUR pick in that class on say, the Rubicon...:bonk:

DonziJon
02-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Of course, we have to remember this is CONSUMER REPORTS! These are the same idiots who ranked the Wrangler as one of the worst vehicles on the market due to 'poor ride quality'. uh....yeah, but I bet it rides better than YOUR pick in that class on say, the Rubicon...:bonk:

Mr. Zelatore: We agree again. I've subscribed to Consumer Reports for maybe 40 years. They have definately had a sea change in the last few years. They used to actually TEST Stuff. NOW....I think they have a new cadre of fresh college grads without ANY life experience...who probably drive Volvos. No offence intended. The difference in attitudes at the Mag has definately changed over the years. John

Donziweasel
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Now if they'd just find about 50 hp for the F150...

Put on hold for right now.

I would like to see the diesel end up in the Expedition too.....

Hmmm......Ford doesn't need bailout money and builds cars equal in quality to the Japanese.....by George, I think the got it.....

Now, when will Chrysler and GM figure out how to do that??????

handfulz28
02-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Seeing as how Honda and toyota's quality has been coming down, is it really saying anything that great about Ford? And unless I missed it, I didn't see a Ford on their 10 Best list?

Somebody share their rationality behind quality ratings. Are they relying on JDPower data? NTSB recalls, factory bulletins? I hope they aren't relying on their own surveys or subjective opinion.

Was it here or another forum that rightly pointed out the only reason Ford hasn't taken any gov't money (yet) is because they already leveraged themselves to the hilt when credit was still easy AND they started retructuring before the sh!t really hit the fan. 4 years ago Ford was at risk of bankruptcy. Stock hasn't traded above $10 since 2005; they quit paying a dividend in 2006. They're burning cash just as bad as the others.

CTS-V, STS-V, Pontiac G8...not bad out of GM. I hope someone can take over when Lutz leaves. Ford's Taurus SHO looks cool. I've used Ford trucks, I've rented Ford cars. There's just something about them that unless you get the top of the line, it just feels a little cheap.

Cuda
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
If I were to buy an American car tomorrow, it would be a Ford all the way. Not only for quality reasons, but simply because I am confident they're going to still be around for the full length of the warranty!
I have to admit the Avalanche looks a lot better than when they were first introduced. When it first came out, I thought they forgot to take the disguise cladding off! Fugly as could be. I agree with Zelatore, I still don't see the function of this vehicle at all?
I'd rather walk than drive an Avalanche. :)

Cuda
02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
My point exactly... :yes::yes:

Or a station wagon with the top cut off! :eek:

Cuda
02-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Now if they'd just find about 50 hp for the F150...:nilly:

Umm, the hp doesn't give it towing power, torque does. The reason you don't see a diesel in a half ton truck is simply that any decent diesel weighs too much.

Cuda
02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Seeing as how Honda and toyota's quality has been coming down, is it really saying anything that great about Ford? And unless I missed it, I didn't see a Ford on their 10 Best list?

Somebody share their rationality behind quality ratings. Are they relying on JDPower data? NTSB recalls, factory bulletins? I hope they aren't relying on their own surveys or subjective opinion.

Was it here or another forum that rightly pointed out the only reason Ford hasn't taken any gov't money (yet) is because they already leveraged themselves to the hilt when credit was still easy AND they started retructuring before the sh!t really hit the fan. 4 years ago Ford was at risk of bankruptcy. Stock hasn't traded above $10 since 2005; they quit paying a dividend in 2006. They're burning cash just as bad as the others.

CTS-V, STS-V, Pontiac G8...not bad out of GM. I hope someone can take over when Lutz leaves. Ford's Taurus SHO looks cool. I've used Ford trucks, I've rented Ford cars. There's just something about them that unless you get the top of the line, it just feels a little cheap.

Stop at any construction site and count the Ford vs all other brands. A guy that depends on his truck is driving a Ford. The rest are good if you are hauling post holes. This isn't based on JD Powers, bulletin recalls or anything else, other than my experience.

RedDog
02-27-2009, 09:03 AM
uh....no.
BTW, I'm sure there are people here who like the Avalanche, but I just don't get it. If I can't haul a motorcycle in the back or a sheet of plywood, is it really a 'functional' truck?

I have one - And I can carry sheets of plywood and / or sheetrock AND keep them dry in a rainstorm.

No problem carrying a motorcycle other than the bed is pretty high. The bed panels come off in about 30 seconds total

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54136

Ghost
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
I figured there'd be some reactions to this--where's FishinSucks on this issue I wonder? :)

VetteLT193
02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
uh....no.

Have you ever driven or used one?

My father in-law has one. He has no problem hauling around a Harley Davidson Heritage Softail in the back.

As far as plywood, the avalanche was designed around a 4x8 sheet of plywood and is designed to carry sheets with the tailgate closed....... so, you totally lost me there.

The Avalanche is the most functional truck I have ever used. It's what made me want to get one... I wound up with an SUV, but I still look at them because I'd one to replace my Lincoln Town Car.

The Hedgehog
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I figured there'd be some reactions to this--where's FishinSucks on this issue I wonder? :)

Actually he is out in his Avalanche!:popcorn:

VetteLT193
02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
V, if thats the most functional "truck" you have ever used, you've never used a truck...

I guess they did make a class of their own. I guess it's not a truck, a supertruck maybe? What class does Ford put it in so no one compares the F150 to it? :popcorn:

Don't forget, this is coming from a guy who currently drives two Ford products. I also have a '67 Mustang that I don't drive, and I haven't owned a GM product in years. (Sold my last Corvette at least 3 years ago).

The avalanche rides better, gets better gas mileage, has a sealed or open bed, carries anything you need it to... for the average Joe anyway. If I was in construction I probably wouldn't like it. If I needed an open truck for my job every single day, I probably wouldn't like it.

But for the guy like me, who needs to haul wood one day, groceries the next, and the boat the next, it is perfect. better than an SUV because the bed can get dirty and be hosed out. Better than a truck because the bed isn't constantly wet so you get a real dry 'trunk' that locks when you need it... all that while still being able to haul a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate UP. Something that the F150 super-crew can't do.

Donziweasel
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
The reason you don't see a diesel in a half ton truck is simply that any decent diesel weighs too much.

Cuda, they were developing a 4.4L Turbo Diesel for the F-150 due out in 2010. It has 350 hp and 440 ft pounds of torque. It is a Land Rover diesel that Ford bored and stroked. Already a proven power plant. Still might happen.....

zelatore
02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
OK, I confess I've never owned an Avalanche or even looked at them very closely. I always figured the bed was way to short to haul anything. Heck, most (all?) 1/2 ton quad cabs don't even have a long enough bed to haul anything. My Dodge 1500 has a short bed that won't fit a full 8' sheet without the tailgate down (what good is that?) just like even my sport bike won't fit with the tailgate up (you can get away with it, but be sure to secure the ramp!)

Perhaps I'm mistaken and there's some magic that lets me get this stuff into what appears to be a shorted bed than a regular truck? Or is this only with the 'midgate' dropped so you actually have the back of the cab open to the bed?

I get it - 90% of the time it would work just fine for what I do with my truck. But then again, the only reason I have a truck is for the 10% of the time I really NEED a truck.

Cuda - have you noticed the weight of the latest F150s? The things are heading toward 6000 lbs! I'd think even the current diesels could be stuck in there without causing a major balance problem given the porky nature of the beast.

Don't matter no how....I'm in the poor house for the moment as Michele just got laid-off about 30 minutes ago...:garfield:

Ghost
02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
...Michele just got laid-off about 30 minutes ago...:garfield:

$hit dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

VetteLT193
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about Michele. This is really starting to hit a LOT of folks I know...

Me too, hang in there. Hopefully she will find a new job quickly

Donziweasel
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Don, really sorry to here about Michelle. Tell her to keep her chin up, this won't last forever.....

handfulz28
02-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Michele just got laid-off about 30 minutes ago...:garfield:

Keep her in good spirits. You had an inkling this might happen so look at it as an opportunity to do something different. Plus, it's Friday so she can start drinking early! :party:

I don't know what I'd do without my Yukon XL. I can carry everything from 2 adults+7 rowdy kids+the dog, 30 sheets of 4x8x3/4 ply, 27 boxes of 16" tile (while pulling my 24' enclosed trailer)...all out of the weather. AND I can hose out the back since I replaced the carpet with the "GOV'T issue" factory vinyl flooring...for those times I forget to tighten the cap on the Roll Off..:garfield: For those times when it just won't fit in the back, the 5x8 utility trailer saves the day.

roadtrip se
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Sorry to hear about Michelle. We got the news at Thanksgiving. Happy Holidays. I get a hot lunch every day (SCORE!), but I know that it is a mightly expensive sandwich. Just keep laughing, we are, sometimes with a little help from something in a glass, but we're still laughing any ways!

zelatore
02-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the support with Michele guys. I'm sure she'll find something as she's very well respected in her area. Just maybe not quite as nice a salary.

BigGrizzly
02-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Can't say much, but I hope that cloud has a silver lining.

Cuda
02-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Out in his Miata??
V, if thats the most functional "truck" you have ever used, you've never used a truck...
Can't argue that logic.

Cuda
02-28-2009, 02:24 AM
I guess they did make a class of their own. I guess it's not a truck, a supertruck maybe? What class does Ford put it in so no one compares the F150 to it? :popcorn:
Don't forget, this is coming from a guy who currently drives two Ford products. I also have a '67 Mustang that I don't drive, and I haven't owned a GM product in years. (Sold my last Corvette at least 3 years ago).
The avalanche rides better, gets better gas mileage, has a sealed or open bed, carries anything you need it to... for the average Joe anyway. If I was in construction I probably wouldn't like it. If I needed an open truck for my job every single day, I probably wouldn't like it.
But for the guy like me, who needs to haul wood one day, groceries the next, and the boat the next, it is perfect. better than an SUV because the bed can get dirty and be hosed out. Better than a truck because the bed isn't constantly wet so you get a real dry 'trunk' that locks when you need it... all that while still being able to haul a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate UP. Something that the F150 super-crew can't do.
Not a damn thing the F-150 can't do, other than being ugly!

Cuda
02-28-2009, 02:27 AM
Cuda, they were developing a 4.4L Turbo Diesel for the F-150 due out in 2010. It has 350 hp and 440 ft pounds of torque. It is a Land Rover diesel that Ford bored and stroked. Already a proven power plant. Still might happen.....

That may work, but I doubt we will ever see a Detroit Diesel in an F 150. :)

Cuda
02-28-2009, 02:40 AM
OK, I confess I've never owned an Avalanche or even looked at them very closely. I always figured the bed was way to short to haul anything. Heck, most (all?) 1/2 ton quad cabs don't even have a long enough bed to haul anything. My Dodge 1500 has a short bed that won't fit a full 8' sheet without the tailgate down (what good is that?) just like even my sport bike won't fit with the tailgate up (you can get away with it, but be sure to secure the ramp!)
Perhaps I'm mistaken and there's some magic that lets me get this stuff into what appears to be a shorted bed than a regular truck? Or is this only with the 'midgate' dropped so you actually have the back of the cab open to the bed?
I get it - 90% of the time it would work just fine for what I do with my truck. But then again, the only reason I have a truck is for the 10% of the time I really NEED a truck.
Cuda - have you noticed the weight of the latest F150s? The things are heading toward 6000 lbs! I'd think even the current diesels could be stuck in there without causing a major balance problem given the porky nature of the beast.
Don't matter no how....I'm in the poor house for the moment as Michele just got laid-off about 30 minutes ago...:garfield:

My 350 SRW PSD weighed in a 9.900 pounds.

Cuda
02-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Keep her in good spirits. You had an inkling this might happen so look at it as an opportunity to do something different. Plus, it's Friday so she can start drinking early! :party:

I don't know what I'd do without my Yukon XL. I can carry everything from 2 adults+7 rowdy kids+the dog, 30 sheets of 4x8x3/4 ply, 27 boxes of 16" tile (while pulling my 24' enclosed trailer)...all out of the weather. AND I can hose out the back since I replaced the carpet with the "GOV'T issue" factory vinyl flooring...for those times I forget to tighten the cap on the Roll Off..:garfield: For those times when it just won't fit in the back, the 5x8 utility trailer saves the day.

30 sheets of 3/4 plywood??????????????

BUIZILLA
02-28-2009, 06:21 AM
My 350 SRW PSD weighed in a 9.900 pounds. my F350 SRW 4wd PSD only weighed 7400, my F350 DRW 2wd PSD only weighed 7500.... and that was on a certified NHRA scale at Bristol Dragway.... you musta had a LOT of mulch in yours... :)

zelatore
02-28-2009, 11:26 AM
30 sheets of 3/4 plywood??????????????

My thought as well....

handfulz28
02-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Wondered how long it would take to be called on that...:angel: Busy hurricane season we put about 15 sheets in there and it looked like we could double that. There's almost 36" of vertical capacity although the top 10" might be hitting the driver/passenger in the head. The Avalanche/Suburban/Yukon XL are all on the same platform; design spec mandates being able to fit 4x8 sheets with the back seats folded down. Unfortunately, 10' gutters have to stick out the glass liftgate.