PDA

View Full Version : How "GREEN" is my world?

gcarter
02-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Last night I attended a local "GREEN CLUB" meeting in support of one of our sales people who has joined in order to sell the environmental features of Kinetico water treatment systems.
There was a speaker, a sort of "green lobbyist" from Tallahassee. She spent 45 minutes explaining to us how, in the past, she had been successful in suing every state agency dealing w/the environment. Then she went on to tell us about every success in suing every paper plant that had ever ever exceeded a discharge limit, no matter by how small an amount.
This was followed by a Q&A session in which one attendee asked if he could bring suit against his next door neighbor because the neighbor doesn't recycle.
I'm not making this up.
It was a disturbing evening.
There was no talk of helping educate the neighborhood of the importance of recycling, just suing.
This club concists of about 400 people and seem to be highly motivated. What really bothered me was thier willingness to attempt to make the world around them, in the courts, exactly in their own image.

Really scary stuff.

mjw930
02-26-2009, 07:16 AM
Being in Lake county I have to ask what the median age of the audience was?

When my father lived in Tavares (in a house I owned so I attended many "community" sessions) I found that the "oldies" community there is very close minded. They get it in their heads what they want and you can't make them see reason. It's like when you were a kid and your parents told you to do something and no matter what logic you offered the best you could expect was a slap up side the head for talking back.

I tried to make the little community (Fox Run) see the error of their ways with a repurchase program they were about to embark on. I ran the spreadsheets and showed them how they could save over $1M by buying the land in question outright with a special assessment vs. getting a 30 year mortgage and paying it out monthly through association dues but they shut me down. One blue hair even went so far as to call me a shill saying I was an absentee owner and had no business in the meeting.

3 months earlier I attended a meeting of the marina committee and pushed for improvements that would have plumbed water and electricity down the docks instead of having 200' extension cords strung from the rafters and having to move your boat to a common dock to wash it down and they wouldn't give me the time of day.

When my father passed away in '05 I sold that property so fast it made the neighbors heads spin.

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Hey Lawyers need jobs too:wink: The problem is everyone says they want to help, but they want to get paid for it. Then they want the punishment to exceed the crime-"I will Show you" attitude. 930,At a sub division meeting in my former neighbor hood we were trying to make a pool lock out thing and do a roof picnic area thing. I suggested they weld a lock ing gate and I would do it with a little physical help- no takers, every one had a bad BACK. then a lady said her husband had all the tools,saws and stuff and he would help, he immediately took her outside and talked to her. The older generation is complaining about the younger generation. Do as I say not do as I do thing. After I got done that night I was asked not to participate anymore, color me gone.