PDA

View Full Version : Do K&N air filters deliver?

FISHIN SUCKS
02-25-2009, 08:36 PM
My flame arrestors are kinda cruddy, and I could clean them, or buy some K&N's to replace them. I run one on the race car (old Corvette) and one in my truck and I guess they do okay, but do they really improve performance? A guy I raced with a few years ago, which had a much higher perfomance engine in his Corvette (faster class than me), said he had his motor on the dyno and tested a regular paper element and a K&N and said he found no difference. Told me to save my money. Well, maybe it was just me, but I felt I noticed a difference.

I did a search on here before I posted this thread, just to make sure I was not being repetitive, but found nothing like my question.

I appreciate your help for my twin 350 mags,

tom

MOP
02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
I have not heard any real benefit over a regular filter.

HOWARD O
02-25-2009, 08:52 PM
I've had K&N on several completely different vehicles, dirtbikes, diesel trucks, etc.

Save your money..... :cool:

gero1
02-25-2009, 09:03 PM
years ago car craft did a test, no diff from paper to the kn filter....untill they started to clog up with the same amount of dirt (10000 miles) and the kn flowed a little better

fogducker III
02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Due to a moisture enviorment, K & N is crap for boats in my opinion....:garfield:

On top of that, the filter is soaked in oil and if you think what a "spark arrestor" does.... fire and oil are not good..........

HOWARD O
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Due to a moisture enviorment, K & N is crap for boats in my opinion....:garfield:

On top of that, the filter is soaked in oil and if you think what a "spark arrestor" does.... fire and oil are not good..........

Great point! Almost like a lesson in NOT WHAT TO PUT ON TOP OF YOUR CARBURETOR! :shocking:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-25-2009, 11:11 PM
I was under the impression that a flame arrestor had to be Coast Guard approved to be legal if inspected. Are they? Even so, it is hard to believe that any filter could beat a good wire or finned Coast Guard approved flame arrestor that has almost no resistance to air flow. Bill

DC18
02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
My flame arrestors are kinda cruddy, and I could clean them, or buy some K&N's to replace them. I run one on the race car (old Corvette) and one in my truck and I guess they do okay, but do they really improve performance? A guy I raced with a few years ago, which had a much higher perfomance engine in his Corvette (faster class than me), said he had his motor on the dyno and tested a regular paper element and a K&N and said he found no difference. Told me to save my money. Well, maybe it was just me, but I felt I noticed a difference.

I did a search on here before I posted this thread, just to make sure I was not being repetitive, but found nothing like my question.

I appreciate your help for my twin 350 mags,

tom
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Ther's a couple of shops in the Chi-Town area that did dyno test and.............:toiletpap no difference. The stock filters actually filter better.

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 01:07 AM
Ah man, a new set of filters will get you in the 80's.

Filters are great. Let's see, you can take a regular 502 Mag that makes 425 hp. Add Filters - 15 hp, new manifolds - 25 hp, reprogram ECU - 20 hp, go with Amsoil oil - 5 hp, remove exhaust baffles - 5 hp, expensive coil and wires - 5 hp. Before you know it you have the power of a 500 EFI! I wish it worked that way

Oh the other hand, if you have to replace it or its ugly, well some extra pimpin aint bad.

RedDog
02-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Well you have to think the bling-factor has to be worth a few mpg...

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 07:18 AM
It depends on the application.

One of the Corvette magazines did an article a few years ago, the K&N had made more power than no filter at all. It also made more power than stock paper.

They theorized that it had something to do with the way that filter straightened the air.

Who knows. Even in that case it was only worth a couple of HP.

I run them in my cars because it is one less thing I have to deal with, not because of the power.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-26-2009, 07:37 AM
They theorized that it had something to do with the way that filter straightened the air.

Straightened the air:eek:??? Isn't there that thing they sell twists the air:nilly:? I don't know that that works either.

Hey Bill, I heard those Checker board graphics add another 20 mph.......in a photograph!

Thanx everyone for the info. As originally stated, this is what I heard as well. Guess I will get out some gas and clean up the original flame arrestors, unless anyone has any other better tips. At a $1.66/gallon (compared to $4+ last summer), it's cheap cleaning solution:).

Air 22
02-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Well you have to think the bling-factor has to be worth a few mpg...

Red...who makes the filter u posted in pic? Arizona Speed+Marine?
How much $?
Teague makes a nice unit as well for my HP500EFI im considering:yes:

http://teaguecustommarine.com//store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1439

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Straightened the air:eek:??? Isn't there that thing they sell twists the air:nilly:?

The theory included the Mass air sensor. Basically, the sensor got a better reading of what was going on so the computer could tune the engine more effectively.

That probably varies from car to car, even corvette to corvette.

If you really want a few more HP, put a new cam in :bonk:

BUIZILLA
02-26-2009, 07:46 AM
the Teague unit is about $200 over priced....

FISHIN SUCKS
02-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Maybe I'll put a flame arrestor on the corvette:kingme:!

CJmike
02-26-2009, 07:52 AM
A friend and myself booth lost Turbo's on diesel truck due to K&N filters. They let in way to many particulants. I run them on my off road rig but thats only becuase a paper filter wouldn't last very long in that application. There was one in the boat when I got it so it has stayed. But I wouldn't buy one by choice anymore.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-26-2009, 07:57 AM
I work in the dump truck industry, and I don't know of any of my customers that use them either. I don't know that they had the problem you had, I think it's just too much money for them. Now my over the road dump guys I don't believe run them either.

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Been there done that. That tbolator swirl thing is a joke, the mule lost power with it and another engine remained the same. The filter straightens out the air turbulence that is had without a filter. As for the restriction, its only less because the K&N is actually bigger in area. I use one because it fits on the procharger. As for the oil and a fire. A loaded up spark arrester is not good. Remember only gaseous ignites are suppose to be prevented and the K&N will do that even if not USGC approved. As for water The oiled K&N is much better in a whet environment than paper. The reason motorcycles use them is really for that reason and serviceability. Also remember the best off road filters (NOT talking off road race cars)were oil bathed air cleaners. Such things as tillers generators and farm stuff. The spark arrester does not filter anything it prevents spark ingestion. A filter protects the engine. A spark arrester doesn't. If you don't believe me pull it off and look. The arrester must be maintained. I have been known to run a oversize arrester inside an air cleaner for USGC inspections. This confuses the heck out of them. You should see my K&N after my blower belt came apart:eek::eek::yes: nothing in side at all. Could you see what that shredded Kevlar belt could have done inside. If HP is what your looking for the K&N will not give this, Just filtration. However the bigger size is a plus. Most stock arresters use to be too small. Now they are getting better, not good but better. So the choice is really yours. All my engines run air cleaners, one also also has an arrester inside the air cleaner for legal reasons. Well that s all folks.

Pismo
02-26-2009, 08:33 AM
502 Magnum, I switch to KN and gained 0.0mph and 0 rpms. Looks cool tho...

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Straightened the air:eek:??? Isn't there that thing they sell twists the air:nilly:? I don't know that that works either.
Hey Bill, I heard those Checker board graphics add another 20 mph.......in a photograph!
Thanx everyone for the info. As originally stated, this is what I heard as well. Guess I will get out some gas and clean up the original flame arrestors, unless anyone has any other better tips. At a $1.66/gallon (compared to $4+ last summer), it's cheap cleaning solution:).

Man, the graphics are worth exactly 19.8 mph. You are good!

I just realized that I gave pimpin advice to you. That is kind of like the devil giving religous advice to the Pope!:pimp:

hot shot
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
The k & N filter is a filter and a flame arrestor is just that it is not a filter like a paper one or K & N according to wayne from sunsation the flame arrestor in most cases makes more power than a filter.... whether its a K & N or paper... boats normally don't have the dirty air like road vehicals Mick

BUIZILLA
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
A friend and myself booth lost Turbo's on diesel truck due to K&N filters. They let in way to many particulants. I run them on my off road rig but thats only becuase a paper filter wouldn't last very long in that application. There was one in the boat when I got it so it has stayed. But I wouldn't buy one by choice anymore.
I believe Ford will NOT honor a turbo failure warranty with a K&N filter, in fact it's out there in a service bulletin in writing somewhere.... the Green filter and the AFI do a MUCH better job than with the oil spray method...

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 09:01 AM
I need a monster filter for my 850. I put a K&N on that is HUGE and my motor did not like it at all.

Any ideas?

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Put a longer tube on the blower between it and the filter. Mine needs the tube and filter. That is how we set it up on the dyno. Do not forget to oil the filter and let it drain over night. sure there are better filters out there but if it is the only one that fits that is the one you use.

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Put a longer tube on the blower between it and the filter. Mine needs the tube and filter. That is how we set it up on the dyno. Do not forget to oil the filter and let it drain over night. sure there are better filters out there but if it is the only one that fits that is the one you use.

Mine has a tube. I think it a combo of the hard 90 and the filter that is hurting it.

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 09:33 AM
mine is the same but you have more power and a bigger procharger and more boost, at this time:wink:

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 09:53 AM
mine is the same but you have more power and a bigger procharger and more boost, at this time:wink:

At this time! I heard about that.

I probably should have tuned mine on the dyno with a filter. That MEFI 4 is sort of finicky to subtle changes in boost. Not to worry, I will get it licked this spring.

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I was just thinking and that engine should not know or care what is before the procharger and especially after the inter cooler unless the tubes have been modified. Of course Eddy could have dynoed it so critically without the air filter and hose. and set up the injection up that way. Mine had it all when it was done including the same type of exhaust on it, except mine is silent choice. As for the at this time comment yes I am changing things. I was going to keep it exactly the same, but what the hey. What I will say is there is a very good possibility that a M1 polished procharger and TRS out drive may be for sale soon:yes: We are trying something different. I am trying for 87 octane and more ponies with better fuel economy. Yes I want it all, but I don't want to give up the economy I have now for more speed, maybe.:nilly: Nothing wrong with my current setup, just a new challenge to face. BTW Wipple is NOT in my future. No more information and no more hijacking. I will start a thread when it is time.:yes::yes::yes:

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
I was just thinking and that engine should not know or care what is before the procharger and especially after the inter cooler unless the tubes have been modified. Of course Eddy could have dynoed it so critically without the air filter and hose. and set up the injection up that way. Mine had it all when it was done including the same type of exhaust on it, except mine is silent choice. As for the at this time comment yes I am changing things. I was going to keep it exactly the same, but what the hey. What I will say is there is a very good possibility that a M1 polished procharger and TRS out drive may be for sale soon:yes: We are trying something different. I am trying for 87 octane and more ponies with better fuel economy. Yes I want it all, but I don't want to give up the economy I have now for more speed, maybe.:nilly: Nothing wrong with my current setup, just a new challenge to face. BTW Wipple is NOT in my future. No more information and no more hijacking. I will start a thread when it is time.:yes::yes::yes:

I was thinking the same thing about the engine not knowing that the filter was there. I did get a first hand look at how difficult it is to tune one of those MEFI's with the non-linear boost on a centrifigul blower. Until it is totally dialed in you can change boost by 0.5 lbs and it will fall on its face. This is why boat tuning is critical too. The day I tried my filter it was 95 degrees so I had two factors working against me. It did not get rough until 85 or so and we have not spent as much time tuning at those speeds. A little more dialing in and I will be fine.

I will be waiting to start that thread. I like your line of thinking though.