PDA

View Full Version : Another Speedo Question

Choprpilot
02-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Is there anyone out there that would know of a company or persons that If possible could convert an older VDO speedo to GPS!! Only because I would like to keep it looking stock and I don't want to replace and update all of my gauges.

yeller
02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Just a couple few days ago I contacted Livorsi and asked if they could convert my stock gauge to GPS. Here's the response.

We do not have that 40th Anniversary logo on file. At the time when we did those gauges we outsourced the dials. So a screen would have to be made for that logo. The cost for a screen in $275. The cost of the GPS gauge itself would be $621. so you're looking at $896 to get this done. There is no way to convert the liquid gauge to GPS. Also, the liquid gauge dial would not line up with the GPS pointer sweep.

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Is there anyone out there that would know of a company or persons that If possible could convert an older VDO speedo to GPS!! Only because I would like to keep it looking stock and I don't want to replace and update all of my gauges.

I doubt it. I don't think VDO does GPS speedos and I don't think Livorsi would even want to do it. It's really a specialty market thing to make an analog GPS gauge. Even in most of the marine market it doesn't make sense.

Pismo
02-26-2009, 09:05 AM
Put a second GPS speedo somewhere else like under the dash on the far right if you want it fairly out of sight or on top of the dash on the right if you don't care about the look.

mattyboy
02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
buy a handheld gps and get a handlebar bracket and clamp it onto a grab rail

Conquistador_del_mar
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM

I can try to check my records from last year when I had a company custom build a VDO tach for me to match my old style in my Eliminator. I remember that I was referred to them from someone else and it sounded like they could do about anything. If I don't come back with another response, it means I could not find it in my records. Try calling these guys as a start to see if they can do it or refer you. I remember they were very helpful. Bill

http://www.lspeedo.com/

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Don't put a GPS speedo on it then you can go as fast as you want:nilly:

mattyboy
02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
if you are only worried about accuracy and want to keep the stock look don't cut and holes and buy a handheld it will be more verstile than a hard mounted gps speedo, it will give you more features and can be taken with you

gcarter
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
if you are only worried about accuracy and want to keep the stock look don't cut and holes and buy a handheld it will be more verstile than a hard mounted gps speedo, it will give you more features and can be taken with you
I agree!
Fior instance you can take it w/you the next time you fly somewhere and have a recorded high speed of 560 MPH!:nilly::nilly:

Choprpilot
02-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Everybody for all the helpful info lots of good ideas too. Its most appreciated.