PDA

View Full Version : Not happy

osur866
02-25-2009, 04:28 PM
So was going to be a nice 70* day thought I'd spend the day on the Donzi and while putting the the drain plugs back in crack Mercs "easy 3-point drain system" broke so I got to spend the day crawling around in the bilge getting this POS off and in the process managed to break the nipple off the the drive resivour tank :mad:, so all in all not a good day. Ordered parts, which should be in in a week or 10 days, probably be snowing when they show up, to the tune of $160.00! I think this has been cracked for some time last outing I noticed it trickling water off of it. Steve

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 05:13 PM
stinks... I have figured out every time I climb in the bilge to fix <fill in blank here> I wind up breaking something else so I have to get at least 2 parts.

Lenny
02-25-2009, 05:20 PM
So was going to be a nice 70* day

Like I want to hear about your weather. :rolleyes:

Other than that I have to agree. Last time I went into the bilge I $ucked up the interupt switch for the shifter :bonk:

JustMercMe
02-25-2009, 05:25 PM
stinks... I have figured out every time I climb in the bilge to fix <fill in blank here> I wind up breaking something else so I have to get at least 2 parts.

Ditto here! Replacing water pump a couple of weeks ago and ended up snapping one of my mini air pressure lines for the quick drain system on the 496.....Still haven't replaced it...Played hell getting the water pump on and off so said the hell with it. :nilly: I'm gonna wait till next water pump change.

The Hedgehog
02-25-2009, 05:34 PM
So was going to be a nice 70* day thought I'd spend the day on the Donzi and while putting the the drain plugs back in crack Mercs "easy 3-point drain system" broke so I got to spend the day crawling around in the bilge getting this POS off and in the process managed to break the nipple off the the drive resivour tank :mad:, so all in all not a good day. Ordered parts, which should be in in a week or 10 days, probably be snowing when they show up, to the tune of $160.00! I think this has been cracked for some time last outing I noticed it trickling water off of it. Steve

At risk of sounding stupid, what is that? I am pretty sure I don't have it on my 383 mag but who knows. Last year was 26ZX year. That's done now so I will probably crawl around in the X some more this year.

Oh yeah, I fried my water pump while winterizing:bonk: It looks like it is going to be a major PITA to replace it but it is time. Any pointers other than hang upside down and suffer?

The 26 will spoil you. I can sit down in the engine compartment and change my water pump impeller in about 20 min.

osur866
02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Bill do you have the "Easy 3-point drain system" on your 383 mag? If so you have one of them, its on the port side way down low under the power steering pump did I mention its way down there!!!! :garfield:

The Hedgehog
02-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Bill do you have the "Easy 3-point drain system" on your 383 mag? If so you have one of them, its on the port side way down low under the power steering pump did I mention its way down there!!!! :garfield:

I have drains on each side of the block and manifold. Typical stuff. Is there anything I missed?

osur866
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Bill the easy 3-point drain system is just that only 3 drains, 2 on the water pump impeller and 1 on that wicked POS plastic piece that I show above, the drains for the block are tied to tees then run into this thing. There are 3 hoses that run into that plastic tee which are a blast to get off in the bottom of the bilge!! Needless to I'm sore now

MOP
02-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I am old and old fashioned!!! A few bucks worth of non toxic antifreeze the stuff with the corrosion inhibitor, sure would save a bunch of time and dollars and remove ALL sweat of anything freezing.

fogducker III
02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Bill the easy 3-point drain system is just that only 3 drains, 2 on the water pump impeller and 1 on that wicked POS plastic piece that I show above, the drains for the block are tied to tees then run into this thing. There are 3 hoses that run into that plastic tee which are a blast to get off in the bottom of the bilge!! Needless to I'm sore now

So basically what you are saying is the standard/old system of draining is about as easy as the 3 way and the old way doesn't have a breakable plastic fittting...? just saying..........:wink:

osur866
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
So basically what you are saying is the standard/old system of draining is about as easy as the 3 way and the old way doesn't have a breakable plastic fittting...? just saying..........:wink: Yes exactly right IMO

fogducker III
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Yes exactly right IMO

After all the climbing around the bilge, cursing and busting stuff, are you out of Crown Royal.........? :nilly::eek::drunk::canada:

osur866
02-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes yes and yes, need one of them northern bros. to send me a gift. :wink:

donzi2287
02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Bilge = BEER+ = 3-4 trips to the closest parts supplier.... which means it's a 2 day job for a 1 hour fix..... Then you just realized you need to fix something else... this is after everything has been fixed.....????? :bonk:

fogducker III
02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes yes and yes, need one of them northern bros. to send me a gift. :wink:

PM me your address and I will see what I can do........hate to see a grown man cry........:rolleyes::thumbsup:

osur866
02-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah only problem is the local parts store doesn't stock it and had to be ordered so I get to spend another day putting it back together and hope I dont manage to break something else while putting it back on!! We usually dont get nice days like this in Feb. so I guess I'll have time to wait on the parts and put it back in.

DC18
02-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Yeah only problem is the local parts store doesn't stock it and had to be ordered so I get to spend another day putting it back together and hope I dont manage to break something else while putting it back on!! We usually dont get nice days like this in Feb. so I guess I'll have time to wait on the parts and put it back in.
Have the same setup on my boat. Had fun winterizing last year. :bonk: This year I'm going to remove the flippin:nilly: setup and do it the old way:beer::drunk::smash:

The Hedgehog
02-26-2009, 12:59 AM
Bilge = BEER+ = 3-4 trips to the closest parts supplier.... which means it's a 2 day job for a 1 hour fix..... Then you just realized you need to fix something else... this is after everything has been fixed.....????? :bonk:

That is so true.:nilly::nilly:

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Steve, If you install a ball valve on a nipple then only that will be turned or even a capped nipple. Just so you know the older Mercs had plastic plugs that would break off too. I got rid of them and did the old radiator valves in the block , even with Closed cooling. I will say that when it is fixed and the first warm day hits this will just be a faint memory.

osur866
02-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Yes Grizz, I know what you mean about the plastic plugs had one break off in an exhaust manifold once. I'm more upset that I'm getting cabin fever and had a great day to get a Donzi fix in and spent most of it in the bilge, its one of those things I have to get in the right mind set to do, acting like a monkey in the bilge that is!!!

BigGrizzly
02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
When you get old like me you learn to streamline everything. find easier ways to fix the things that you break, so it doesn't happen again. Like trying to get rid of every belt on the engine. It is going to be hard to get a crank/ flywheel drive everything:yes::yes: