PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas run 2010

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Who is interested in a Bahamas run in 2010?

The idea is to run to one of the close spots and possibly hop around. The 'best' in my opinion is West Palm area to West End (Grand Bahama) (60-ish miles). then we can run to Port Lucaya around the island from there. Even running a slow 25-35 MPH for the crossing it wouldn't take more than 2.5 hours in the open Ocean.

The other option is Miami to Bimini, that's a bit shorter, but there is less to do in Bimini than there is in Grand Bahama.

This would have to be a week trip because of the boat sizes. We'd plan to leave on Saturday and return on Friday. But if the weather does not cooperate, it might be Sunday or Monday with a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday return date.

Best times of year has nothing to do with winter... Wind from the North + Gulf stream = rough... So, I'm thinking May-August as the target time of year.

Sooo... who's interested? I figure 2010 gives us plenty of time to work out the details.

Last Real Texan
02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Who is interested in a Bahamas run in 2010?

The idea is to run to one of the close spots and possibly hop around. The 'best' in my opinion is West Palm area to West End (Grand Bahama) (60-ish miles). then we can run to Port Lucaya around the island from there. Even running a slow 25-35 MPH for the crossing it wouldn't take more than 2.5 hours in the open Ocean.

The other option is Miami to Bimini, that's a bit shorter, but there is less to do in Bimini than there is in Grand Bahama.

This would have to be a week trip because of the boat sizes. We'd plan to leave on Saturday and return on Friday. But if the weather does not cooperate, it might be Sunday or Monday with a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday return date.

Best times of year has nothing to do with winter... Wind from the North + Gulf stream = rough... So, I'm thinking May-August as the target time of year.

Sooo... who's interested? I figure 2010 gives us plenty of time to work out the details.
I'm in....

Tex

BUIZILLA
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
I need a bigger rowboat...

Air 22
02-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Sounds fun..:) its 58mi Miami to Bimini one way...:eek:

CJmike
02-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a blast.:boat:

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Sounds fun..:) its 58mi Miami to Bimini one way...:eek:

That's a realistic number. The Bimini folks with $$ on the line usually advertise less (48) but that's short. probably from the absolute east most rock that can still be counted Miami and the western most coral reef that Bimini has. LOL

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
I need a bigger rowboat...

what's wrong with the 22?

Sea Ray used to do this every year, they may still do it... if a 17 foot Sea Ray can do it I'd like to think we can.

fegettes
02-25-2009, 06:59 PM
I am very interested.

I think May or June would be the best timing to find the calmest weather.

Steve

sweet 16 1966
02-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Comments of caution are here somewhere. I would be like Noah- 2 of everything. I wonder about insurance?

sweet 16 1966
02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Steve, the Blackhawk??

donzi2287
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Russ.... don't be a chicken wing.. we know you can make it... and it is a great idea with all of us together...if the weather is bad in the afternoon, then spend a night in hotel and leave the next day. Also, it is a short ride even in rough weather. Bobby bring on the Minx and I'm with you or I'll bring the 22. :yes:

glashole
02-26-2009, 06:16 AM
would be interested

why not say f-it and go this may-aug?

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Comments of caution are here somewhere. I would be like Noah- 2 of everything. I wonder about insurance?

We'll have to take many precautions to run safe, including pre-made long length tow ropes. Rather be safe than sorry, and much safer as a group

Need a binder for the Bahamas added to your insurance.. Approx 300 bucks per boat to land. We used to run Bimini for lunch, but they started cracking down on folks who didn't check in a few years ago.. Passport required now also. High test iffy, and PRICEY. Weather is your biggest issue, it can be drop dead gorgeous flat calm in the AM, and all hell breaks lose in the PM...

If we get enough people interested I'll put together a document, or a post, that has all the information from insurance needs, safety equipment, documentation needs, costs etc.

I think the fee for under 35 feet is $150, 35 and over $300 but I'll re-check everything if it's a go.

Russ.... don't be a chicken wing.. we know you can make it... and it is a great idea with all of us together...if the weather is bad in the afternoon, then spend a night in hotel and leave the next day. Also, it is a short ride even in rough weather. Bobby bring on the Minx and I'm with you or I'll bring the 22. :yes:

Sounds good to me:)

would be interested

why not say f-it and go this may-aug?

Doesn't bother me, but I doubt I could make it this year. Watching the new baby July and August and I'm short on time as it is.

I'd also prefer a dozen (or more) boats signed up. this way even if a couple drop out we should have a minimum of 8. That's a minimum number to be safe.

As far as the seas, I also agree with Poodle. The best plan is to idling out of the marina as the sun comes up and get moving quick. That would put us in West End for Breakfast. Then we could take our sweet time running around from there.

BUIZILLA
02-26-2009, 06:57 AM
I have no interest in taking the Critter... whatsoever...

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I have no interest in taking the Critter... whatsoever...

Time to buy that honey + black 496 whipple boat!

Air 22
02-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Initially sounds really fun...:wink:...ALOT of planning, precautions, and back-up plans have to be in place...and most important the reality that such a trip may have to be cancelled last second due to the weather. Our boats have to be in optimum condtion and mechanically sound period...with everything perfect on paper...it can ugly fast...the sea can be very unforgiving as i've experienced in the USCG...

Done right...it can be a fantastic time:)

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Initially sounds really fun...:wink:...ALOT of planning, precautions, and back-up plans have to be in place...and most important the reality that such a trip may have to be cancelled last second due to the weather. Our boats have to be in optimum condtion and mechanically sound period...with everything perfect on paper...it can ugly fast...the sea can be very unforgiving as i've experienced in the USCG...
Done right...it can be a fantastic time:)

I'm thinking backup would be a run to the keys, we can take the inside route even if the weather is crappy.

Another backup could be to run the ditch to the west coast...

glashole
02-26-2009, 08:57 AM
I understand we are talking about the ocean but isn't it like 2 hrs across and 2 hours back if you are cruising at 30mph?

Lake Ontario is approx 60 miles across where i would generally run (trenton to Rochester)

obviously you need to make sure everything is mechanically sound and watch for weather but is there not places to hide once you are over there?

Don't think I am trying to generalize but this doesn't seem like a long trip

enlighten me if i am incorrect

when is the best time to go (calender wise)

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Biggest problem is the gulfstream and wind. If the wind is blowing from the North the seas get really nasty. I've been in HUGE seas out there. The 2 hour trip can easily be doubled if the seas kick up, and that is in a big boat.

Best time of year is anytime the wind is not coming from the North. So, Spring - Summer. Come Sept things start to turn and it is a crap shoot. One day might be glass calm... I'm talking literally lake flat. The next might be 15 footers.

With that said, shooting for a May-July date is best In my opinion... we could shoot a bit earlier or later if need be.

The good news is you almost always know what the weather will be like when you leave the dock, if you leave early enough and run straight across.

The other big issue compared to a big lake is if you break down. In the ocean you can break down and wind up in Africa a month later. On a lake it might take you a day but you'll hopefully wind up in a dry spot somewhere :bonk:

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
The other big issue compared to a big lake is if you break down. In the ocean you can break down and wind up in Africa a month later. On a lake it might take you a day but you'll hopefully wind up in a dry spot somewhere
Fortunately, you would not end up in Africa in a month...
Iceland... in two months. You would make landfall near Keflavik. A beautiful woman behind every tree.
But the fishing gets better the farther north you float.

I hear ya... just making sure everyone gets the drift of what I'm saying.

zelatore
02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Oh come on, how bad can it be? There are plenty of guys who've run their mouths about the 4 - 6 - 8 foot seas they run in their 16s. This should be a cake-walk for you guys.
:wink:

After you've done that, I'll invite you all out here to run to our west-coast islands. You just have to stop for fuel along the way a couple times...

VetteLT193
02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
A few years back, I HAD to be in Walkers for a tournament.. Wasn't blowing real bad, maybe 20 kts. Waves in the stream were taller than the tuna tower I was sitting 18' ABOVE the water in... :nilly: :nilly:
Coming back was worse.. 10 hrs to go 60 miles... :bonk: :bonk:

I had the same experience. waves taller than the top of the boat (16' in my case) slowed down up the wave, hit the crest, then haul azz down into the trough.

GPS went out, couldn't get a lock. Loran antenna broke off @ the hardtop mount. My azz was slinging on the side of the boat to get the antenna out of the water so we could tie it up with a rope. Thank God for that old Northstar unit, after tying the antenna up with a rope it got us home. The GPS plotter kicked back in as we ran through the jetties. :nilly:

Now, we knew it was rough going out that day. We were in a time crunch and either had to fly back or boat back that day. Under normal circumstances we would have waited. Still sucked though.

BUIZILLA
02-26-2009, 01:51 PM
10 second story..... back in summer of '88 I had just got a new 25' Contender with twin Yammi's.... didn't have 20 hours on it... we ran over to Cat Cay at 6am, it was a mirror, actually boring, took us less than hour and a half dock to dock... kicked up a little about 3pm after we did some diving, so we thought we would go back 3 hours early... about halfway back it started getting NASTY, real FAST.... few minutes later we were standing in ankle deep water behind the console as the waves were breaking 6-8" over the bow..... we couldn't get the water out of the cockpit fast enough with the 2 self bailing holes so I opened the floor hatch and let the water run in there and let the two 1500 gallon/hr bilge pumps do their thing.... the 2 pumps ran solid for about 2 hours or 20-25 miles until we got to Stiltsville, if we came off plane we were goner's.. I kissed the console when we got back... it may have been over 20 years ago but I remember that day like yesterday... I bought 2 more Contender's, and my brother has bought 2 more, after that, as a tribute... they sold us 4 more boats due to one day in bad sea's..

Air 22
02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
10 second story..... back in summer of '88 I had just got a new 25' Contender with twin Yammi's.... didn't have 20 hours on it... we ran over to Cat Cay at 6am, it was a mirror, actually boring, took us less than hour and a half dock to dock... kicked up a little about 3pm after we did some diving, so we thought we would go back 3 hours early... about halfway back it started getting NASTY, real FAST.... few minutes later we were standing in ankle deep water behind the console as the waves were breaking 6-8" over the bow..... we couldn't get the water out of the cockpit fast enough with the 2 self bailing holes so I opened the floor hatch and let the water run in there and let the two 1500 gallon/hr bilge pumps do their thing.... the 2 pumps ran solid for about 2 hours or 20-25 miles until we got to Stiltsville, if we came off plane we were goner's.. I kissed the console when we got back... it may have been over 20 years ago but I remember that day like yesterday... I bought 2 more Contender's, and my brother has bought 2 more, after that, as a tribute... they sold us 4 more boats due to one day in bad sea's..

Jim...Thats just the type story I'm talking about...I can't tell u how many times folks were not so lucky and hailed "Coast Guard, Coast Guard vessel..."

RedDog
02-28-2009, 09:36 AM
1...it started getting NASTY, real FAST.... few minutes later we were standing in ankle deep water behind the console as the waves were breaking 6-8" over the bow.....

I had that happen to me as a teenager one beautiful early Spring day - on a lake in TN. 16' tri-hull bow rider. Had to turn around and run with the wind. Couldn't get back to the ramp I used on the west side of the lake (Percy Priest in Nashville). And then it started to snow and the water in the boat turned hard. Can you say cold!

RedDog
02-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Iceland... in two months. You would make landfall near Keflavik. A beautiful woman behind every tree.
But the fishing gets better the farther north you float.

That happened to a one-armed* roofer that works for my brother. He was tuna fishing the canyons off of Maryland / Jersey (?) and broke down. I think he took on water and shorted his batteries so no radio. A week or so later a freighter picked him up somewhere way north and east (I forget the details). Had to abandon the boat.

* His boat ran him over - way prior to the break-down drift event. This guy has some bad boating luck.

VetteLT193
02-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Jim...Thats just the type story I'm talking about...I can't tell u how many times folks were not so lucky and hailed "Coast Guard, Coast Guard vessel..."

That's why we'd run early in the AM and not chance anything. Running back and forth in the same day is not a great idea based on how the seas kick up.

Safety 1st, fun 2nd.

Magicallbill
03-20-2009, 02:20 AM
I'm pretty sure it's 85-90 miles across to West End.

VetteLT193
03-20-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm pretty sure it's 85-90 miles across to West End.

The State is long and curvy... it's 85-ish miles from Miami. 60-ish miles from Palm Beach. 70-ish miles from Lauderdale.

The idea is to give us every benefit to minimize any potential problems... i.e., leave from West Palm.

Magicallbill
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
West Palm is certainly the straightest shot..

I read in some cruising guide that it was 90 to West End, and I can't remember the departure point.
That was 10 years ago, and I may have read it wrong.
Anyway, what a great trip..You probably won't want to come back...

gcarter
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Oh come on, how bad can it be? There are plenty of guys who've run their mouths about the 4 - 6 - 8 foot seas they run in their 16s. This should be a cake-walk for you guys.
:wink:

After you've done that, I'll invite you all out here to run to our west-coast islands. You just have to stop for fuel along the way a couple times...

About three years ago Elaine and I took the Fast Cat from Long Beach to Catalina for several days. It's supposed to be 26 miles to Avalon (at least that's what the song says), but it is the Pacific Ocean.
I was surprised how many boats in the 20'-24' range were making the trip.
I suppose you have to make arrangements as everyone uses mooring bouys and there's only so many of them.

donzi2287
03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
If we go, which we will, and the weather turns a little unfavorable, then stay in a hotel, go to the beach,:yes: and put your toes in the sand with an umbrella drink!!!:yes:

Dads Thunder
04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Sounds great !! I have been dreaming about this trip. I am sure Last tango will pilot this trip with me . Mark is like a human GPS. All I have ever heard was the 28 Sportsman was made for trips like this . I have had the 28 in 8-10 ft seas on Lake Erie . I will be ready ! Last Tango mark your calander.

VetteLT193
04-22-2009, 06:09 PM
I'll throw tentative dates of May 20-24 2010.

That is the weekend BEFORE memorial day so the rates should be lower and we shouldn't have to compete with a ton of other boats. The weather should be a nice break for all you Northern guys and still great for the crossing.

So... who's in???????

donzi2287
04-22-2009, 06:35 PM
This is a three hour boat ride there and back. I'm going to the Bahamas! Disney World tried to pay me but the Bahamas won.:bighug:

BUIZILLA
04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
This is a three hour boat ride there and back. I'm going to the Bahamas! Disney World tried to pay me but the Bahamas won.:bighug: uhhhhh, I don't think so.. :wink:

donzi2287
04-22-2009, 07:03 PM
130 miles! sorry I'll make it four hours overall. remember were going in nice flat weather, I've seen it so flat they don't make a boat fast enough!:yes:

VetteLT193
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
And I have seen it so rough they don't make a boat big enough.. Left a 54 Hatt in Bimin one day, flew home.. Not sure May is a good choice, july/aug it lays down..

Later is fine too. I have been all through the year... July Aug is very nice for sure.

May is on the early end... Trying to keep the numbers up. It seems like it would be harder to get a bunch of boats if it is hot everywhere.

donzi2287
04-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Make it anytime we all think it's flat and run with it. This is a future annual event if we can all stop having panic problems.!!! We ALL maintain the crap out of our boats, do the regular thing and go on a boat trip...... period. :boat:

glashole
04-23-2009, 06:26 AM
some of us do some trailering in may (kentucky) so a little later for that reason would be good

or earlier like april

what time is the ice out generally there?

VetteLT193
04-23-2009, 07:10 AM
some of us do some trailering in may (kentucky) so a little later for that reason would be good

or earlier like april

what time is the ice out generally there?

April is out for me, Legislature in session...

Let's do it later then. June? July? I don't care. The only ice we deal with keeps our Margaritas cold.

Northern & western guys can use my house as a stopping point on the way down. I'm right off I-10 and can pack in 4-5 boats overnight

Dads Thunder
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
August would be good. How many are going ao far?

glashole
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
june or july would be perfect

VetteLT193
04-23-2009, 02:27 PM
Ok... July 14-17th 2010. That is a Wednesday - Saturday.

For the guys from up North that want to take a full week we'll plan something in North Florida for the prior Sunday.

We'll meet at a hotel in West Palm on Tuesday night and plan for a Wednesday crack of dawn run. If it's rough, we'll postpone to Thursday and run around West Palm for the day.

We'll plan on coming back on the 17th, if it is rough, postpone to Sunday the 18th.

We can also make this just a full week run, go on Sunday, return Friday or Saturday. Depends on peoples work and time off schedules.

Budmann
04-23-2009, 06:04 PM
WE ARE IN!!!! Just pick a date! Weather is iffy all those months!

sweet 16 1966
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
At 2mpg, I am guessing more gas will be required in a 22 than it will hold...
And if there was a problem, the longest tow would be only ...what 65 miles?
We need a big tow boat just in case.

Found this on the internet- guess it still applies.

When arriving in port, boaters should observe the following:

Visiting boaters must clear Customs and Immigration at the nearest designated Port of Entry.
As you enter port, fly the yellow quarantine flag and notify Customs of your arrival. Customs and Immigration will come to your vessel.
No one other than the captain is permitted to leave the boat until your vessel has been cleared.
Everyone on board must have proof of citizenship and fill out an immigration card. U.S. citizens can present a passport or birth certificate (original or certified copy) and an official photo ID, such as a driver's license or voter registration card.
You must declare all onboard firearms with Customs. You must provide the firearm serial number and manufacturer, plus an exact count of ammunition. Though you are allowed to have a firearm on your vessel, you cannot take it off the vessel unless you obtain a permit from the Bahamian police ahead of time. Weapons must be under lock and key at all times. Any infraction of this law is dealt with severely.

Entry Fees:
Vessels up to 35 feet: $150.00*
Valid for two entries during a 90-day period.

Vessels over 35 feet: $300.00*
Valid for two entries during a 90-day period.

*Listed entry fees apply to vessels with four persons or less. The fee covers a cruising permit, a fishing permit, Customs and Immigration charges, and the $15.00 per person departure tax for up to four persons. Each additional person above four will be charged a $15.00 departure tax. If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Regular hours for Bahamas Customs and Immigration Officers are 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on-call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.

donzi2287
05-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Let's go. Howabout this year!:yes:

VetteLT193
05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
At 2mpg, I am guessing more gas will be required in a 22 than it will hold...
And if there was a problem, the longest tow would be only ...what 65 miles?
We need a big tow boat just in case.

55 gallons X 2 = 110 miles X 80 % (to be safe) = 88 miles. Even if we figure high on the west end run, we are talking 75 miles. We'll fill up at west end and move forward.

Another option all together is to run from the keys to Bimini.

We will need gas in the Bahamas. it isn't cheap there, but we'll it's "fun tickets" for the ride.

sweet 16 1966
05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Who has done this ?

donzi2287
05-04-2009, 09:42 PM
You can't put a price tag on fun tickets!:yes: Russ...we look forward to seeing you again at AOTH!
Eddie

Last Real Texan
05-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Again...I am in whenever anyone wants to go.....weather permitting. Hell I have done this run in a 13 foot whaler with a compass and no GPS to west end ......I do not take this run lightly but it is very doable with good weather.

donzi2287
05-04-2009, 10:47 PM
yes it is doable. It is a short run. It's like Key Largo to Marathon. No big deal. We will run on a nice day early in the morning and it's all good!:boat:

VetteLT193
05-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Who has done this ?

I've done the trip more times than I can count... just not in my Donzi if that is what you are asking specifically.

Sea Ray does a trip every year, we saw a bunch of small guys over there, 17 footers for sure... and they don't exactly have a 24 degree deadrise to take the waves with.

For this trip: We wake up, make a judgment call on the weather. if it isn't good enough we are going on a quick inside run then sipping mojito's by the pool until the next day. We've even gone out, hit the ocean, turned around and tied back up. Not a big deal, especially in West Palm where things are close and open.

glashole
05-05-2009, 06:32 AM
so

no this year right? :confused:

RickyR
05-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Russ,
I have made this trip lots of times in the 10 years I was running boats for a living. We usually spent 3 months in the summer and 1-2 weeks for Christmas and New Years. So I know it pretty well, but anything can pop up anywhere.
I would be interested in doing a trip over there, but may do it this June or July. Maybe next year too?
We have use of a condo in Treasure Cay, so the plan would be to clear in West End, fuel up and run to the Abacos. Stay for about 4 days and come home. We will probably stay in the area since Nipper's, Wally's, Abaco Inn, Green Turtle, and Marsh Harbor are so close. If we have to, maybe try to fish???:nilly:
Right now, we are just going by ourselves, since we can't nail down an exact time. We are open for others to run, but can't commit a specific time yet.
I suggest anyone going to have Sea Tow or Towboat US. You never know what can happen, and either company has pretty inexpensive coverage considering what it would cost to be towed home from the Bahamas.
Ricky

sweet 16 1966
05-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Ricky-
I remember your towing story with a 23' behind the big boat. Thats the insurance preferred! Sea Tow would be a good investment. Heck, a 22 would be just a little crazy to point it east from Lauderdale for 90 miles or so but imagine if you hit it just right. Your 35 would be a good ride. This june-july- can't do it if i am still working!

donzi2287
05-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Ricky, I would love to run with you over. Let me know what your plans are!!!!

Eddie

picklesmcd
05-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I am new to this forum but I would interested in making the run and spending a week there. I am from Massachusetts but my plan is to bring my boat down to Lauderdale from Oct 09 to May of 2010 so May of 2010 would be best for me. Keep me in mind.

Thanks,

Michael McDonald

robkassab
05-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I'm in.....

Cuda
05-22-2009, 05:04 AM
And I have seen it so rough they don't make a boat big enough.. Left a 54 Hatt in Bimin one day, flew home.. Not sure May is a good choice, july/aug it lays down..
I've heard the same stories. Guy taking big battlewagons to the Bahama's for a fishing tournament, then after wating a week for the stream to settle down, leave thier big boats there and fly back.

Reserve me a seat right beside Buiz. I've done some crazy things in my day, but there is no way in hell I'd take a Donzi across the stream.

Remeber: Mother Nature ain't no Lady! :eek:

Cuda
05-22-2009, 05:08 AM
WE ARE IN!!!! Just pick a date! Weather is iffy all those months!
You better bring your dad's 65 foot Donzi! :eek:

Cuda
05-22-2009, 05:18 AM
I've live on or near a sea my entire life, and those that think the weather can't piss in the flintlock of the best planned musket, have never seen what the sea can do at a moments notice.

By all means do what you think is right, but I've seen the bar at the Columbia River so rough, I didn't see how a giant freighter would pass. Dad was startioned in Astoria, Oregon in the 50's. I asked him how freighters made it over the bar. He said, "They don't". Said there may be dozens of freighter laying off the bar to come in, and as mane stacked up from Astoria to Portland waiting to go out.

I've seen and heard too much of what CAN happen. Remember, it doesn't always happen to the other guy. That is flat out too dangerous, but what do I know?

donzi2287
05-22-2009, 08:09 AM
If the weather is bad we don't go. If it's good we go. Remember, It's only a couple hour run. We all know what mother nature can do, however we go early and on a nice day.:yes:

MOP
05-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Hmmm no mention of the entry fee, dockage etc! I know a few that have stopped going there not because they can't afford it but feel ripped off in many ways.

Cuda
05-22-2009, 08:31 AM
If the weather is bad we don't go. If it's good we go. Remember, It's only a couple hour run. We all know what mother nature can do, however we go early and on a nice day.:yes:
It can, and has gotten very bad, very quickly. By then it's too late to say you were kidding. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying for a fact that I won't be taking a 22 over. I was just talking to my mom on the phone this am, she said she'd gotten seasick on a cruise ship the same distance, and that ship is HUGE with stabilizers built in it, but other than that, have a ball.

VetteLT193
05-22-2009, 08:41 AM
It can, and has gotten very bad, very quickly. By then it's too late to say you were kidding. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm saying for a fact that I won't be taking a 22 over. I was just talking to my mom on the phone this am, she said she'd gotten seasick on a cruise ship the same distance, and that ship is HUGE with stabilizers built in it, but other than that, have a ball.

The cruise goes rain or shine, crappy seas or not. That's comparing apples to oranges.

If you don't like the thought of this run just stay out of the ocean all together because it's really not much different than running anywhere in the ocean.

Can the seas kick up? yes, but they aren't going to kick up in a matter of seconds. The way we want to do this run we'll leave early enough to eat breakfast in the Bahamas.

donzi2287
05-22-2009, 12:19 PM
As far as the money goes.......I didn't realize there was a cost associated with fun tickets!!!:bonk:

Cuda
05-22-2009, 04:34 PM
The cruise goes rain or shine, crappy seas or not. That's comparing apples to oranges.
If you don't like the thought of this run just stay out of the ocean all together because it's really not much different than running anywhere in the ocean.
Can the seas kick up? yes, but they aren't going to kick up in a matter of seconds. The way we want to do this run we'll leave early enough to eat breakfast in the Bahamas.
Bet me gambler! I've been on the sea my entire life. To say the water can't kick up in a matter of minutes is pure lunacy in my book. I'm speaking from my own personal history, your mileage may vary.

The very best day I've ever spend on the water was a run from Blackpoint Marina to Islamorada and back. The worse seas were exposed to was running inside Biscayne Bay. and that was as much as I care to ride out in a 22 Donzi, and it wasn't even rough that day. That being said, I've been 41 miles out in my fishboat, had a wind shift and had to fight our way all the way to the dock. By the time we got there, I was pissing blood from the trashing we took, and from banging my bladder against the steering wheel. That broke me of challenging Mother Nature, even though I was young and imortal at the time. If you've ever experienced the icy hand of death upon you, you'd think twice too. The closer you come to the end than the beginning of the journey through life, the more you tend to treasure every single breath you take above ground. I know I do. I've been in more chit than you could ever imagine, it's fun when you live to laugh about it. I don't imagine the ones you may leave behind will think it was worth the risk. I've said my piece, I'll be right next to Buiz and others who know what can happen in the stream at the blink of an eye.

Death doesn't care if it's on a cruise line or not.
Death only knows that it is better to be alive.

VetteLT193
05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Bet me gambler! I've been on the sea my entire life. To say the water can't kick up in a matter of minutes is pure lunacy in my book. I'm speaking from my own personal history, your mileage may vary.
The very best day I've ever spend on the water was a run from Blackpoint Marina to Islamorada and back. The worse seas were exposed to was running inside Biscayne Bay. and that was as much as I care to ride out in a 22 Donzi, and it wasn't even rough that day. That being said, I've been 41 miles out in my fishboat, had a wind shift and had to fight our way all the way to the dock. By the time we got there, I was pissing blood from the trashing we took, and from banging my bladder against the steering wheel. That broke me of challenging Mother Nature, even though I was young and imortal at the time. If you've ever experienced the icy hand of death upon you, you'd think twice too. The closer you come to the end than the beginning of the journey through life, the more you tend to treasure every single breath you take above ground. I know I do. I've been in more chit than you could ever imagine, it's fun when you live to laugh about it. I don't imagine the ones you may leave behind will think it was worth the risk. I've said my piece, I'll be right next to Buiz and others who know what can happen in the stream at the blink of an eye.
Death doesn't care if it's on a cruise line or not.
Death only knows that it is better to be alive.

Been in rough seas in the gulf stream, I made that abundantly clear.

We have this crazy technology thing that helps with the weather now. I've never been out where it kicks up crazy large unless we expected some kind of bad weather before hand. Maybe it's simply a research issue. I don't leave the dock to go to the Bahamas without being super well informed. And that is from the times we spent running 6 hours, from Sebastian inlet to Port Lucaya or Walkers in a much slower boat. I did those trips more times than I can count, if you can research 6 hours and be fine every time, you can handle 2 hours.

The roughest of days we knew it would be rough, it got rougher... we had already planned to run straight across, we made the choice based on timing, normally we would have never left. In a Donzi we would not have left.

I've spent months of my life in the Bahamas, and running it around in a 14 foot Sea Doo jet boat. I don't need an education here, Thanks anyway.

Seems to me the guys that have all the problems are the ones who are close, that take things for granted. I never took jack for granted, and never will.

I'll say again that Sea Ray runs over every year with boats smaller than ours. They manage to do that safely too. It's in the planning and schedule flexibility.

Cuda
05-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Been in rough seas in the gulf stream, I made that abundantly clear.
We have this crazy technology thing that helps with the weather now. I've never been out where it kicks up crazy large unless we expected some kind of bad weather before hand. Maybe it's simply a research issue. I don't leave the dock to go to the Bahamas without being super well informed. And that is from the times we spent running 6 hours, from Sebastian inlet to Port Lucaya or Walkers in a much slower boat. I did those trips more times than I can count, if you can research 6 hours and be fine every time, you can handle 2 hours.
The roughest of days we knew it would be rough, it got rougher... we had already planned to run straight across, we made the choice based on timing, normally we would have never left. In a Donzi we would not have left.
I've spent months of my life in the Bahamas, and running it around in a 14 foot Sea Doo jet boat. I don't need an education here, Thanks anyway.
Seems to me the guys that have all the problems are the ones who are close, that take things for granted. I never took jack for granted, and never will.
I'll say again that Sea Ray runs over every year with boats smaller than ours. They manage to do that safely too. It's in the planning and schedule flexibility.

All it takes is once for luck to run bad, then there is no tomorrow. Believe that!

I'm not scared of anything, but I don't play Russian Roulette with a 44 mag either.

You say you spent months running around the Bahamas, but I bet that was inside the reef. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but I think you DO need an education here. Better here than halfway across the stream.

Marlin275
05-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I sailed to the Bahamas many times as a kid
and that's a slow passage I know.
The Stream is a monster at times.

I agree with good timing and patience you could find the time to get over
but that might take days to get the right conditions
and what about getting back
who has a week to wait for that?

Cuda
05-22-2009, 06:43 PM
I sailed to the Bahamas many times as a kid
and that's a slow passage I know.
The Stream is a monster at times.
I agree with good timing and patience you could find the time to get over
but that might take days to get the right conditions
and what about getting back
who has a week to wait for that?

Exactly, especially with all the water to run, like the time we took 7 Donzis to Islamorad for lunch and back. The best part of the day was that nobody broke down. You have no idea how rare of an occurance that is. At least land was always within sight. It's a long azz wait for Seatow to get there and get back. You may be off the coast of North Carolina by then. Yesterday morning, a bouy off Canaveral was registering 16 foot swells.

Budmann
05-25-2009, 09:11 AM
We have been to the Bahamas my entire life! Ask Fish about when we ran his 23 Donzi over. Awesome trip and it was alittle ruff so "we slowed down"!

It's less than 40 miles over and if we watch the weather reports it shouldn't be that big a deal!

I guess what I'm sayin is LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Cuda
05-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Fish don't love us anymore. :(

Last time I saw him was on SR 19, coming back from Palatka. He was stopped on the side of the road at the junction with SR 40. He was pulling his STD. :eek:

donzi2287
05-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Buddy, are you taking yours? You can hop in with me, or my bro is looking to buy a 28. Believe if or not his wife said don't sell the Minx either. He has to be using Viagra or something......... what a wife.:bonk: