PDA

View Full Version : Crane cams bites the dust

mjw930
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/crane022409.htm

February 24, 2009

Crane Cams shuts down, workers laid off

By JIM WITTERS
Senior Business Writer

DAYTONA BEACH — Crane Cams, a 56-year-old auto parts manufacturer, closed its doors this week and laid off its employees, a worker said today.

The news took Volusia County’s top economic development officer by surprise. City, county and state officials were working with Crane Cams and officials from its New Jersey parent, Mikronite Technologies, to keep the company open and in the community.

“We were trying to help them through this transition,” said Rick Michael, Volusia County economic development director. “They were considering a transfer of ownership. We were not expecting any closure.”

An automated voice mail system at Crane’s plant on Fentress Boulevard announced at midday today the company was closed and suggested calling back during business hours, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A call to Mikronite’s New Jersey offices produced similar results. Six cars sat in the parking lot early this afternoon at the local plant, which employed 220 just three years ago.

Inside the lobby, a reception desk sat empty. A call from the lobby phone got an answer from Dennis Burgess, who declined to comment and said no one at the plant could provide information.

In the parking lot, 14-year employee Ronald Dorn was leaving the plant for what he believed was the last time

He said workers were told during the past week that layoffs were likely, but he didn’t expect the plant to close.

Mikronite received approval in 2006 to receive tax rebates from the state and the county amid discussion about moving its New Jersey operations here. But the company ended its contract with the state in 2008 due to nonperformance, Michael said.

“Crane has gone through a series of small layoffs recently,” he said.

Crane Cams and Crane Technologies Group were founded by Harvey J. Crane Jr. in 1953 as Crane Engineering Inc. in Hallandale. The company is well known in high-performance and racing circles for its line of camshafts and engine valve train components.

In 1979, Crane Cams became an employee-owned company. Some operations moved to Daytona Beach in 1981, with the remainder of the operation and employees relocating here in 1985.

Mikronite, an industrial technology firm, bought Crane in 2006.

In March 2007, Mikronite sold its property on Fentress to STAG Capital Partners of Boston, then signed a 10-year lease.

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 08:25 AM
holy crap. aren't they the merc supplier for a ton of parts? cams, rockers, etc?

mjw930
02-25-2009, 08:32 AM
If you click on the link and read the comments there seems to be a group of people trying to save the company but nothing has been made public. It would seem that under the proper management the company could be saved, especially considering their brand recognition. The name alone is worth a pretty good chunk of change.

HallJ
02-25-2009, 11:22 AM
Looks like I won't be getting my pionts coversion module back anytime soon:frown:

Jeff

Ed Donnelly
02-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Looks like the employees thought they were getting a better deal by selling the company.... Hindsight is a wonderful thing........Ed

Donziweasel
02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
I think Comp Cams was their biggest competitor. Should benefit them.

BlownCrewCab
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I worked right across the street from them when they where in Hallendale, used to have lunch with some of the guys. Saw Darryll Gwynn in there all the time getting parts. Sad to see such an Iconic company not able to get through the rough times.

mjw930
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
I worked right across the street from them when they where in Hallendale, used to have lunch with some of the guys. Saw Darryll Gwynn in there all the time getting parts. Sad to see such an Iconic company not able to get through the rough times.

I really don't think is is as much a matter of getting through rough times as really really bad management. I know someone who was the VP of engineering that left the company because, as he put it, "The company was being run by thieves".

BlownCrewCab
02-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I really don't think is is as much a matter of getting through rough times as really really bad management. I know someone who was the VP of engineering that left the company because, as he put it, "The company was being run by thieves".

Then maybe I shoud say...Sorry to see such an Iconic Company torn to sh*t by a bunch of Fu*kups.... either way, sad to see...

mjw930
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Then maybe I shoud say...Sorry to see such an Iconic Company torn to sh*t by a bunch of Fu*kups.... either way, sad to see...

Yep, it's really sad, especially for the 220 people that don't have jobs now.

BUIZILLA
02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
ya gotta wonder when they buy a COMPLETE company and then sell off the real estate portion the next year in a sale/leaseback if they really aren't short terms *milk the coffer's* thieves... IOW, plunder it and sell the shell later...

looks like their plan backfired..

f_inscreenname
02-25-2009, 05:05 PM
I knew something was up this time last year.
I was looking for a “420” cam for my 454. After months and months of excuses and back orders and trying every distributor on the web I was about to give up. I couldn’t believe what should have been an off the shelf cam was no where to be found from Oct 07 to Feb of 08. I started asking what was the hang up with these cams and finally a Northern Auto Parts guy told me, “for some reason Crane cant get the billets they make their cams out of.” I thought it was a shortage or something but looking back it must have been a credit issue. It was definitely a slow time of year for them. Just like now.
I was lucky enough to find one from a guy on OSO brand new in a vintage box. Now that they are gone I’m glad I kept the box. I have a feeling soon that’s all we will have left of a lot a companies that we have all used. :garfield:
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/7757/17028006.jpg

CHACHI
02-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I ordered a hyd roller cam and lifters back in December for my 428CJ. They said they had the cam, no lifters. Couldn't even give me a production date as they said that they manufacture the lifters. Spke to a real person last Thurs. and this past Tues I received the "recording"

Crane wanted to ship complete, so now I am SOL.

Ken

mrfixxall
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I ordered a hyd roller cam and lifters back in December for my 428CJ. They said they had the cam, no lifters. Couldn't even give me a production date as they said that they manufacture the lifters. Spke to a real person last Thurs. and this past Tues I received the "recording"

Crane wanted to ship complete, so now I am SOL.

Ken

Call isky, i think they are the main supplier for the hyd roller lifter mfg,besides i think their stuff is better then most..

donzi2287
02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Wow !! Crane offered great parts... I had the same problem with no inventory with two different motors... lack of supply and production dates, however I did get them. Sorry about the employees.... it is probably a management problem which stinks.:bonk: