PDA

View Full Version : The donzi 24 hull

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
ok I have pretty much decided that I need at 24 foot deep Vee and i keep coming back to the spirit,doral,spitfire. leaning more to a doral or spirit as they are more sit in boats and will take a drop out bolster. i have seen many variations on the models it seems they had a loaded one with all the bells and whistles and a standard model

the spitfire came with capt kirk seats and a padded dash and a rear swim railing or regular buckets and no padding or rail seems the doral had the same type setup they had the fiberglass fold up seats or buckets

here is a boat i saw a pic of from the side without seeing the interior and thought it was a hornetIII cause of the swim rail

i have not ruled out a 24 splash like a sonic either or a superboat or pantera 24

the ultimate plan would be to modernized a doral with twin sbc loose the windshield and replace with a V shaped raised fairing drop out bolsters and a redone back seat

there was a 24 on my lake and i am trying to track it down a spitfire with twin 327's and e drives

this is nice

http://www.mackinacseaplanes.com/rcsyacht-3/24_donzi.htm

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 07:40 AM
you could probably pick up a brand new 24 Banana for less money than re-doing one of the old ones. they will custom do anything you want... just food for thought.

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 07:47 AM
i did see that black and white one from the miami show not out of the question but would mean dealing with pearson :eek: I would do an old 24 in stages a little at a time or well until the kids are out of college and the resources are back to normal

to clarify my splash statement the sonic is a splash the pantera and superboat are not

glashole
02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
doesn't baja make a reasonably priced 24ft deep v

if you could find one with the nice pink and green colours you'd be styling

:)

mjw930
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM

Are any of them around that haven't delaminated??????

Sorry, not a big fan of Baja, never have been.

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
i did see that black and white one from the miami show not out of the question but would mean dealing with pearson :eek: I would do an old 24 in stages a little at a time or well until the kids are out of college and the resources are back to normal

to clarify my splash statement the sonic is a splash the pantera and superboat are not

What's the story on Pearson?

One of the things I like about Banana is you can have them do a basic boat, no cabin, smaller power, and upgrade it later.

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 08:44 AM
well see as i am the lake george pirate and the senator and the editor in chief of the LAKE GEORGE DONZI CLASSIC CLUB NEWS LETTER AND HE IS EL PRESIDENTE OF THE CLUB AND MY FRIEND IF I DON'T GO DONZI CLASSIC ( WHICH THE 24 IS) I AM IN FOR A RASH OF TUNA CAN DELIVERIES AND 3 AM DRUNK PHONE CALLS PLUS THAT WOULD LEAVE ME A WEEKEND OPEN IN JUNE WITH NOTHING TO DO .

so to avoid that my first choice is a donzi 24 ;)

just picture that blue one in red and white that would be sweet ( not that the blue is not great looking but red is my color)

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 08:46 AM

no i didn't say the B word

the early sonic was a splash of the donzi 24 hull the donzi 24 are great hulls

Trueser
02-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Matty

I will keep you posted on the one I found. Waiting for the call.

mjw930
02-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Here's one with twin outboards.

http://sanantonio.backpage.com/BoatsForSale/_30_000_donzi_24_foot/classifieds/ViewAd?oid=736260

http://imagesb.backpage.com/centralimages/sat/4a/4a7f99248cf96e14d70f291652c76906--1--HPIM02421JPG--large.jpg

Same boat: http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1012478682.html

olredalert
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
-------Matty,,,I know that blue "Spitfire" well. The hull was restored in the same shop that my Spit is in right now. The shop owner is one of the most talented guys I have ever seen. Oh, and he has learned a lot since he did that particular Spit. I have never seen the blue boat in the water but have heard that it runs well with a 540/500 or so Bravo combo.-------There are a bunch of things that are just too lengthy to get into here when you are considering a 24 DONZI. We are going to have to talk. The Doral you sent me pics of looked like a really good start. Probably useable for several years with minimum work, if you choose, and restore on "your" schedule. I wasnt that lucky with my Spit as it sat in the water on Georgian Bay all summer for several years and had TRS drives. Unfortunatly, that is a recipe for water intrusion as TRS drives in those days were sealed to the transom with a cork gasket and the cork absorbed water, eventually compromising the transom wood. We have replaced all the wood in the whole boat with HD closed-cell foam and have run the stringers five feet further forward, very similar to the pics of this blue Spit. We vacuum-bagged the transom and the inside is as pretty as the outside. With that said, my El Pescador had virtually no hull issues except a tiny bit of softness around one motor mount which I addressed.
-------Call me at 810-434-9663 (day) when you have the time, and I can fill you in a bit more........Bill S

-------PS,,,,Talked to the owner of that Doral 3 years ago while he was building it. Nice guy, who owned a Mercedes dealership. He also was very close with a certain company that popped several different DONZI models. Im relatively sure that the boat was restored there.....

chappy
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM

Right on, you should be rockin' this one Senator.............different colors, but it'll get you the ladies...................:lookaroun:
http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/35/6c/8ef0_12.JPG

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 09:33 AM
Bill sounds good I am going to look at that doral in a few days maybe this weekend the weather is warming up here. I call you after i go look

the boat in the link had a single trs and the transom looked shot

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
wonder if there is enuff room for a pair of these staggered ???:nilly: might need a bigger wallet

http://www.ilmor.com/marine/index.html

BigGrizzly
02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
I was just re reading this. If you did buy brand X you would be in deep Do Do let alone the B word. I can hear the phone call now, Boxy and I heard one of them when he was sober to a paying cuctomer.

olredalert
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM
------My God, What a package.:cool: Bad time to come out with it but what are ya gonna do??? I really hope that Ilmor has staying power!!!.......Bill S

Lenny
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Matty, I believe Trueser knows where a 24' Magnum is, a project, and you gotta look at this as it would cost you twice as much to get close to this yourself. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1973-Magnum-27-Sport-93719866

olredalert
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
-------Lenny,,,I hope Im not talking out of school, but I remember there being a history to either this orange 27 Magnum or the other orange one in this area. I constantly get the two mixed up. Either Smidgen2 or Mark (Who I think comes on this sight as well) knew. Mark is on OSO as H20boater, I believe........Bill S

mattyboy
02-26-2009, 08:03 AM
lenny that mag is AWESOME just a tad to big budget wise and tow wise right now ;)

just a few questions on the donzi 24's i know the bottoms are all the same with different decks were the deck all different molds or were they modular sections like the dash pod in a spitfire?
the reason i ask is seems all the spitfires are port helm (that i have seen) and besides the windshield the spirit and doral look very similar

the blue spitfire looked to have the rear seat removed was it just unscrewed and taken out or was it cut out??

Lenny
02-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I believe modular Matty. (with the exception of the El Pescador)

mattyboy
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
just spitballing here

looks to be a raised fairing on the spirit is it in the mold or a bolt on but the helm and dash with the entry to the cuddy seems to be the same as the doral

the doral has a back seat like the spitfire with a sun pad hatch and optional railing

the spirit has jump seats next to the doghouse for the motor the el pesc has a padded dog house but no jump seats

here are the the 4 models i think the spit is olred's

and looking at the spit there is more freeboard or depth to the cockpit then i thought judging by the height of the seat pedistals maybe a taller back shorter height bolster would work the throttle placement looks awkward for a short guy like me

olredalert
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
-------Matty,,,All will be revealed in that phone call.........Bill S

CJmike
02-26-2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/swap-shop/203883-24-monza-trailer-see-pics-make-reasonable-offer.html

Donziweasel
02-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Matty, I am a big fan of the Spitfires. While heavy, they will give you a nice ride and you don't see many of them. Good luck on the search.....:wink:

MR MAGOO
02-26-2009, 05:05 PM
A buddy of mine has a 24 Spitfire that he's contemplating selling. It was re-powered 15 years ago w/ Merc 320 EFI's and Alpha SS drives. I'll get more info this weekend.

Kurt

mattyboy
02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
yes please do

BUIZILLA
02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :yes:

Donziweasel
02-26-2009, 07:48 PM
A buddy of mine has a 24 Spitfire that he's contemplating selling. It was re-powered 15 years ago w/ Merc 320 EFI's and Alpha SS drives. I'll get more info this weekend.

:):):):):)

Go Matty!