PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter fleet...

Tony
02-24-2009, 03:00 PM
I've searched and cannot seem to find the thread about the new fleet of presidential helicopters. The topic is back in the news because Obama cancelled the order. And...the order was apparently placed by the previous administration.
I don't recall that detail in our thread...

:beer:

Trueser
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
I've searched and cannot seem to find the thread about the new fleet of presidential helicopters. The topic is back in the news because Obama cancelled the order. And...the order was apparently placed by the previous administration.
I don't recall that detail in our thread...

:beer:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_helicopter

fogducker III
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Who cares? So far he's managed to put more miles on AF-1 than any other president in history did in their first three weeks in office, why does he need a helicopter?

Of course, the flip side of that is how far along was the order, and what kind of economic havoc did he wreak on the company that they were ordered from?

But hey, the stock market is on it's way to 7,000... All's good :nilly: :kingme: :nilly:

I thought I saw Mrs.Clinton get off AF 1 on her trip to China, that is one long flight...........just saying............

Trueser
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090224/Obama.Helicopter/

Another look.

fogducker III
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
She's not the President...

Yet....

No, I realize that, but don't her "air miles" count on "his" bill....?

zelatore
02-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Wait a minute, I'm confused. We were mad because we thought O ordered a fleet of helicopters, but it turns out W. ordered them and O canceled the order so now we're mad at O for canceling?

I'm just trying to keep it all straight.

BUIZILLA
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
if you have one President, why do we need 28 'copter's?

didn't Digger tell us all they had in the old fleet was 6 of them?

just sayin'

BUIZILLA
02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
and BTW.........

try and divide 11.2 BILLION by 28 on your desk calculator and tell me what you get.... and that's just the cost OVERRUN.... :nilly:

mine won't accept that many digits..

that in itself should tell you something

Donziweasel
02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Don't care who ordered them or who cancelled them. The fact is that they are 400 million a piece. That is more than AF-1 was built for even adjusted for inflation. It is a frickin helicopter.

If George W. ordered them and Obama cancelled them, then I will say that is the first thing he has done I approve of.

Why does this sound remarkably like the Bradley Fighting Vehicle? Don't know the history of it, look it up. You might be surprised at the cost of developing it and producing it, on top of it never reaching anywhere near it's designed potential. One of the biggest blunders in military production history.

Obama, Hilary, and the rest of em can take the bus like everyone else.....

zelatore
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
and BTW.........

try and divide 11.2 BILLION by 28 on your desk calculator and tell me what you get.... and that's just the cost OVERRUN.... :nilly:

mine won't accept that many digits..

that in itself should tell you something

To paraphrase Chief Brody:
We're gonna need a bigger calculator

Donziweasel
02-24-2009, 04:13 PM
From what I read, he needs (or wants) 16. They are stationed in pairs around the country at stategic places for him to utilize when he is in that area. For example, two in Fuzzy's and Jims backyard, Miami, would service all of south and central Florida.

Not only that, he has to have two on the ground in any foreign country he is visiting. These are transported via cargo plane (C-5A?).

When POTUS goes on a road trip, it ain't cheap......:bonk:

Tony, the initail article I read was about the cost overruns, delays, etc... and did not mention who ordered them. Didn't intentianaly try and mislead anyone.

BUIZILLA
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
maybe he shouldn't have sold his 300 Chiseler

Donziweasel
02-24-2009, 04:32 PM
BTW, I have actually been in AF-1. Clinton came to JH on vacation to visit twice. I was contracted to do a bunch of transportation, including having two vans in his motorcade. I removed the graphics and made them white. I also imported a dozen other vans on a tractor trailers for the secret service. Also, had busses moving press corp, etc.... Made a bunch of dough on that one. It was a pain in the ass though. Had secret service all over me, my company, etc.... Everyday they used my shop for vehicle inspections, not just mine, but every vehicle they used, including the Suburbans and any other support vehicles.

Anyway, I told them I would do whatever they wanted but I wanted two things in return. I wanted a pic of me, my partner at the time and Ole' Bill next to one of my busses. Second, I wanted a tour of AF-1. Anywho, I got my tour of AF-1 and was scheduled to get my pic the day before he left. Never did get it. My bill for the whole deal was something like 150,000.00. The White House paid on time and didn't gripe a bit. I did meet Bill, and my father was visiting at the time, so he got to meet him also. I did get a signed photograph of AF-1 flying over the Tetons.

AF-1 was, well, amazing.

Oh yeah, on his second visit, one of my vans broke down. Man, did I get my ass chewed.......

He was supposed to come for a third visit, but cancelled.

You know, I had forgotten all about that stuff. I think I will put something on my website and literature to the effect "Transportation company of the Presidents When In Jackson Hole".

Been on AF-2 (737) also, a bunch. Cheney did a bunch of stuff with me, was here every couple of months while VP. Got to actually get to know him, and despite what the press and everyone said about him, I really liked him. Very down to earth guy and LOVED to fly fish.

Donziweasel
02-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Order for new Marine One's has not been cancelled, it has been temporarily put on hold.....

Tony
02-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Tony, the initail article I read was about the cost overruns, delays, etc... and did not mention who ordered them. Didn't intentianaly try and mislead anyone.

No problem, DW. Like I said I looked for the thread, but did not find it. All I remember is a bunch of guys jumpin' all over BO for wastful spending.

:beer: