PDA

View Full Version : Speedo Pitot Question

Carl C
02-23-2009, 12:45 PM
My Imco shorty cannot supply water to my stock speedo so I need to install a pitot. The only ones I can find are from Livorsi:
http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pitot_gaugeaccess.htm#recoil
The best one is the flip up model RBM 2A @ $223. Another candidate looks like the model GCRB1A @ $91. Do you guys think the cheaper one would be OK? Any other suggestions for a source for a pitot? I assume I should mount it right next to the drain plug.

I know that you guy's first thought will be to go with a gps speedo but I want to keep the stock gauge. I already have gps speed on my chartplotter and my back-up hand held.

Has anyone here installed a pitot on their boat? Any suggestions? Thanks.

gcarter
02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
My Imco shorty cannot supply water to my stock speedo so I need to install a pitot. The only ones I can find are from Livorsi:
The best one is the flip up model RBM 2A @ $223. Another candidate looks like the model GCRB1A @ $91. Do you guys think the cheaper one would be OK? Any other suggestions for a source for a pitot? I assume I should mount it right next to the drain plug.

I know that you guy's first thought will be to go with a gps speedo but I want to keep the stock gauge. I already have gps speed on my chartplotter and my back-up hand held.

You can find the fixed model on eBay frequently in the $50.00 range and the flip up model for about $100-$125.00 range. In fact, I think there's a fixed model for sale now.

Carl C
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
You can find the fixed model on eBay frequently in the $50.00 range and the flip up model for about $100-$125.00 range. In fact, I think there's a fixed model for sale now.

Thanks, George. It was your post a while back that pointed me to Livorsi or Gaffrig. I can't find any pitots on Gaffrig's site. I'm really a little paranoid about buying on e-bay. I wouldn't mind paying the $91 for the new one if it will suit my needs.

gcarter
02-23-2009, 01:19 PM
eBay' feedback is everything.
I don't know what I'd do w/o eBay.

gcarter
02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Here you go Carl.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gaffrig-Livorsi-Speedometer-Pickup-Assembly-7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ150325106973QQptZBoatQ5fP artsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Last Real Texan
02-23-2009, 01:43 PM

Simple....Get a GPS speedo and avoid any more holes in the boat....

Tex

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I got mine from cp performance, best prices I could find.

http://www.cpperformance.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=275

I got the hard mount. I figured if I ever got in a situation that would take off the pitot the drive would be gone and I'd be totally screwed anyway.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
as LRT said why drill holes in the transom for a gauge that isn't accurate anyway, plus have you considered the drag caused by the pickup?? or is this to impress the women on the boat so they can see the needle bouncing all over the place or if you disconnect the speedo are you afraid of letting them see your dead needle in your speedo????? :tongue: ;) LOL

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Simple....Get a GPS speedo and avoid any more holes in the boat....

Tex

This is actually not a bad plan if you already have a GPS/Plotter that is compatible. The gauge isn't that hard to swallow. the whole kit is though.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 02:02 PM
carl,
don't you have monster gauges in the boat they make a monster gps speedo

http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/product.php?productid=1291

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
as LRT said why drill holes in the transom for a gauge that isn't accurate anyway, plus have you considered the drag caused by the pickup?? or is this to impress the women on the boat so they can see the needle bouncing all over the place???

I'd personally rather have both a digital GPS speedo and a regular one. They mean different things and the regular ones are pretty accurate if installed correctly. Liquid filled stops the bouncing if that's a big concern.

It really depends on what the user wants from an information stand point.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd personally rather have both a digital GPS speedo and a regular one. They mean different things and the regular ones are pretty accurate if installed correctly. Liquid filled stops the bouncing if that's a big concern.
It really depends on what the user wants from an information stand point.

yeah but he would have to change the gauge to go liquid filled, i re did mine pick up and shortly disconnected it i got a handle bar bracket for my handheld gps and hooked it up to the grab rail

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM
yeah but he would have to change the gauge to go liquid filled, i re did mine pick up and shortly disconnected it i got a handle bar bracket for my handheld gps and hooked it up to the grab rail

I'm probably going to wind up doing something similar with GPS but I'll leave the old speedo. That's if I ever get the boat running again and buy a GPS :bonk:

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm probably going to wind up doing something similar with GPS but I'll leave the old speedo. That's if I ever get the boat running again and buy a GPS :bonk:

that's what i did the new buyer on his sea trial said the gauge doesn't work, i said i kicked up the pick up he said put it down i said hell no the water is like 40 degrees in april on my lake i said he could stick his arm in the lake and do it ;) he did and loves the bouncing

Carl C
02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
George, that is it. I would buy it right now but I'm not sure how. Do you use Pay-pal? It looks like I need to go through pay-pal.

Tex, I already have 2 gps speedos, want to keep the stock one.

RedDog
02-23-2009, 02:25 PM
It is my understanding that the IMCO lower can be drilled and then you have a water pick-up just like a standard Bravo lower. Call IMCO and they can tell you where to drill.

Seems I heard MP or Mr X make mention of this

Carl C
02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
OK now there are a bunch more replies while I was checking on the one George left. The Hardin Marine one is only $32. Maybe I will just go with that one. If it breaks off no big deal. The bracket will still be there. I don't have pay-pal. Matty, my stock gauge is liquid filled. I already have TWO gps speedos on board. Would like to keep the stock gauge and save 500 bucks. I guess I will look into the Hardin Marine one. brb

RedDog, yeah, I've heard that too but I called Imco and they said it can't be done.

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
OK now there are a bunch more replies while I was checking on the one George left. The Hardin Marine one is only $32. Maybe I will just go with that one. If it breaks off no big deal. The bracket will still be there. I don't have pay-pal. Matty, my stock gauge is liquid filled. I already have TWO gps speedos on board. Would like to keep the stock gauge and save 500 bucks. I guess I will look into the Hardin Marine one. brb

RedDog, yeah, I've heard that too but I called Imco and they said it can't be done.

It's a pretty nice unit too, I can take pics of it when I get home if you would like.

Just a note, you'll need to get hardware for it. it does not come with screws (no biggie). you'll also have to get the top fitting piece that covers the hole that the tube runs through above the water line.... you might need a new line if it isn't long enough to re-work the current one.

glashole
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
keeping the original speedo and adding a bigger pick-up hole will probably be the easiest way to show your passengers an 80mph boat too

Carl C
02-23-2009, 02:49 PM
It's a pretty nice unit too, I can take pics of it when I get home if you would like.

Just a note, you'll need to get hardware for it. it does not come with screws (no biggie). you'll also have to get the top fitting piece that covers the hole that the tube runs through above the water line.... you might need a new line if it isn't long enough to re-work the current one.

Thanks everybody for the quick replies. Vette, I ordered the Hardin Marine one for $32. The SS screws are no biggie and I plan to connect the stock hose so won't need the hose cover. George, I was ready to order that one for $50 but this one is cheaper and I didn't need to open a pay-pal account. I will mount the bracket with 5200 adhesive/sealer.

Glashole: :wink:

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 02:56 PM
keeping the original speedo and adding a bigger pick-up hole will probably be the easiest way to show your passengers an 80mph boat too

or have water squirting every where under the deck ;)

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks everybody for the quick replies. Vette, I ordered the Hardin Marine one for $32. The SS screws are no biggie and I plan to connect the stock hose so won't need the hose cover. George, I was ready to order that one for $50 but this one is cheaper and I didn't need to open a pay-pal account. I will mount the bracket with 5200 adhesive/sealer.

Glashole: :wink:

where you going to mount it? I thought the original one is inside the drive housing? I'm curious more than anything. I haven't mounted mine at all yet so if there is a way to do less holes and go through the drive somehow I'm going that route.

Carl C
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
where you going to mount it? I thought the original one is inside the drive housing? I'm curious more than anything. I haven't mounted mine at all yet so if there is a way to do less holes and go through the drive somehow I'm going that route.

The stock hose went to the front of the lower drive but the Imco has no provision for it. I will just connect the hose, which is still there, to the new pitot. I plan to install the pitot bracket near where I put the piece of blue tape.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
do you think it will disrupt the flow of water going to the prop at that location????

Carl C
02-23-2009, 04:21 PM
do you think it will disrupt the flow of water going to the prop at that location????

I wouldn't think that it would. Do you? Should I mount it further out?

Last Real Texan
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
The stock hose went to the front of the lower drive but the Imco has no provision for it. I will just connect the hose, which is still there, to the new pitot. I plan to install the pitot bracket near where I put the piece of blue tape.
Bad location....move it to where there is at least 12-15 inches of clearance to the drive centerline...I follow you on the save 500 bucks thing as well...just threw it out there cause it seemed to make sense...

Tex

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 04:34 PM
i am not sure, but isn't having clean water for the prop the point of the nose cone on the shorty???

Carl C
02-23-2009, 04:36 PM
I will look into this. Thanks for bringing it up before I drilled the holes. I can still use the stock hose I think but may need to lengthen it.

gcarter
02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
The pitot is nowhere near the prop. It's probably 3' away and way to the side. Not only that, but it's about 1/4 the size of a single side drive shower pickup.
I'd like someone to prove to me it does anything to the speed.
I could find more irregularities in anyones nasty old hull bottom than a pitot.
On this subject, I believe I have some experience.
Also, a good Livorsi liquid filled Bourdon tube type speedo will be within 1-2 MPH of a GPS.
There's that much variation between any two different GPS's.

Carl C
02-23-2009, 06:05 PM
The pitot is nowhere near the prop. It's probably 3' away and way to the side. Not only that, but it's about 1/4 the size of a single side drive shower pickup.
I'd like someone to prove to me it does anything to the speed.
I could find more irregularities in anyones nasty old hull bottom than a pitot.
On this subject, I believe I have some experience.
Also, a good Livorsi liquid filled Bourdon tube type speedo will be within 1-2 MPH of a GPS.
There's that much variation between any two different GPS's.

3' would put it hanging off the side:nilly:. The tab is about 18" from centerline so I think Tex's 12-15" will have to do. Yes, G, the speedo is no more than 2 mph optimistic. I just want it to work again. I have the true speed on my chartplotter screen. GPS units can really vary by 1-2 mph??? I also agree that such a small tube shouldn't cause a measurable speed loss. It's really small and it doesn't pump water, just maintains pressure.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
It's really small and it doesn't pump water, just maintains pressure.
until it doesn't maintain pressure don't ask me how i know that

Air 22
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Look no holes in the transom..and good for speeds 5-125mph.....lol.:kingme:
http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/Vortex_Wind_Sensor.asp

:popcorn::beer:

blackboat
02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Gaffrig speedo & stainless pickup was accurate for measuring speed changes,main problem was they kept bending .After about 4 of these.,I bought the flip up. No bounce of needle. Might cost 1 mph. I actually thought it was more accurate than a nose cone pickup.If you are looking for that last mph leave it off ,use gps and sharpen the point where bottom meets transom.

CHACHI
02-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Carl, can you mount the pick up on starboard side of the outdrive?

Shorter distance to the dash if your speedo hose runs on that side of the boat.

Ken

Carl C
02-23-2009, 06:56 PM
until it doesn't maintain pressure don't ask me how i know that

Prolly cause the hose came off the speedo like my Hydrostream used to do, gotta love that hose swinging around like a little firehouse spraying everybody down.

Look no holes in the transom..and good for speeds 5-125mph.....lol.:kingme:
http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/Vortex_Wind_Sensor.asp

:popcorn::beer:

You'd get some really good numbers running into the wind!

Gaffrig speedo & stainless pickup was accurate for measuring speed changes,main problem was they kept bending .After about 4 of these.,I bought the flip up. No bounce of needle. Might cost 1 mph. I actually thought it was more accurate than a nose cone pickup.If you are looking for that last mph leave it off ,use gps and sharpen the point where bottom meets transom.[/quot

1 mph loss will not be acceptable.

[quote=MINXGUY;496861]Carl, can you mount the pick up on starboard side of the outdrive?

Shorter distance to the dash if your speedo hose runs on that side of the boat.

Ken

I still plan to use the stock hose which runs through the transom assy. I was thinking of switching to the starboard side though because the port tab is down more often and making turbulence.

Would that be okay? Starboard side. About 14" from center. Use stock hose but lengthened w/coupler. I think it will catch seaweed and bend though if I have to run it hanging out of the bracket that far. I was planning to put it at the boat's center and have it barely protrude from the bracket. Would it really cause enough turbulence to affect performance if mounted in front of the drive? If mounted outboard 14" I think I will need the good flip-up pitot.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
carl

you're all over the place a kick up in front of the drive????

Carl C
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
carl

you're all over the place a kick up in front of the drive???? You're right. I should have clicked preview instead of submit. I edited the post. Would a small pitot barely protruding really cause a performance loss if mounted near the boat's center. And I think that if I have to mount it out 14" it will need to protrude so far out of the bracket that it will bend and maybe I should just get the good flip-up.:nilly:

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
if it is as close to the drive as your tape mark and not totally centered on the drive it will disturb the water on one side and not the other, think that could lead to an issue???

seriously i don't understand you, you have 2 gps sppedos for accuracy you just want this to work why even mount it in an area that might cause a problem , get a flip up and be done with it

if it is just protruding there is more above the bracket than below think that might be in the way of the drive or the transom housing??

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
poodle where is it on your transom??? outside of the transom housing??

gcarter
02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Here's a picture of the old Minx. As you can see, I had the SST pickup, transom water pickup and drive shower.
Notice the Alpha prop, which is smaller than a Bravo, is at least 3' from the pickup, not to mention the pickup is offset to the stbd about 15".

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24272&d=1159816499

Another note, I did a lot of work on this boat while I had it. Probably more work than many of you will ever do. Even to blueprinting the hull.
It was a 350, fairly stock, and on a good day would do 64 MPH. I have a hard time believing, after all my experience w/it, that it would have been 1 MPH faster removing the above listed items.

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 08:30 PM
I did a lot of work on this boat while I had it. Probably more work than many of you will ever do. Even to blueprinting the hull.
It was a 350, fairly stock, and on a good day would do 64 MPH. I have a hard time believing, after all my experience w/it, that it would have been 1 MPH faster removing the above listed items.

there ya have it george knows best

Carl C
02-23-2009, 08:31 PM
OK, I guess I will get the good flip-up and mount it about 14" on starboard side. Thanks, you guys saved me from screwing up. George, I will check e-bay and look into pay-pal.

gcarter
02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
there ya have it george knows best

Yep!
That's why they named the lake after me.:wink:

And I want to thank you for policing it of sail boats and light houses.

Keep up the good work.:cool!:

mattyboy
02-23-2009, 08:35 PM
perhaps you should come to lake george and show us your stuff:yes:

gcarter
02-23-2009, 08:39 PM
perhaps you should come to lake george and show us your stuff:yes:

As soon as I have some stuff to show you, I'll be there.

That's a promise.
Maybe next year.

Carl C
02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
One more question if you will bear with me. Should I mount it like drawing 1 or 2?

gcarter
02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
One more question if you will bear with me. Should I mount it like drawing 1 or 2?
Carl, I doubt if it makes a bit of difference to accuracy or efficiency, but you'll find virtually all boats are mounted vertically.

Carl C
02-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Carl, I doubt if it makes a bit of difference to accuracy or efficiency, but you'll find virtually all boats are mounted vertically.

OK, thanks.

boxy
02-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Yep!
That's why they named the lake after me.:wink:

And I want to thank you for policing it of sail boats and light houses.

Keep up the good work.:cool!:

I thought you named it after you discovered it on your travels in the New World.... :D

George, tow the Testa Rossa up for the Dust-Off, we'll get you secure storage, then come back up for the 1000 Islands event.

gcarter
02-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I thought you named it after you discovered it on your travels in the New World.... :D

George, tow the Testa Rossa up for the Dust-Off, we'll get you secure storage, then come back up for the 1000 Islands event.

That sounds like fun.
It's always better sittin' behind the wheel rather than the back seat.

gcarter
02-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Sorry, but 37,854 pages on how to mount a pitot plus 27,734,584 drawings has already cost ya more in time than the gps would.. :)

Because it just wouldn't be Carl and he would be frustrated w/o it.

MOP
02-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Surprised no one mentioned these disposable goodies!!

http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?M=SEA-DOG&ID=2880010&ref=GB

mattyboy
02-24-2009, 07:54 AM
just a note that won't effect george or poodle or anyone of our southern brothers. what happened to my speedo was it got kicked up on one of the last runs of the season and must have been plugged with some crap so there was trapped water in the line i gave it no thought did my ritual winterizing and the next season no problems at all except when i said oh i forgot to kick down the pickup, then there was the why do i have water in the bilge?? drained her and pulled her out bone dry dumped her back let sit over night no water go out for a ride come back water, rinse repeat took me about a week of this to finally figure out( actually it was my wife who said i thought you fixed the speedo why isn't it working) the tube ruptured from being frozen over the winter. so just a word of caution there to turn them down for the winter and make sure they drain.

George ,
actually a few years ago we had a historian come to the dustoff and recreated the the early days, how the lake and the fort got their names anyone who was in attendance won't soon forget it :bonk:

we'd love to have you and the testa we get a 22 testa faithfully every event and the minx testa and 18 testa drop in from time to time

Carl if you really want to impress your ladies pump your needle all the way up , plug the gauge so it stays up and reads burried and you can say you are so fast you broke the gauge. maybe you'll get to burry another needle :tongue:

( now that last paragraph is loaded with one liners, but i am tired this am. and have not had my 4th cup of coffee so I am setting you all up, no need for thanks least i could do ;) )

Carl C
02-24-2009, 08:23 AM
:nilly::nilly:I really thought this was going to be an easy one:nilly::nilly:. Now I get a pm that the flip ups can flip up on re-entry:nilly:, plus they are almost half the cost of a gps speedo:nilly:. I just want to plug in my stock speedo so that it works again:nilly:. Damn Imco:nilly:. I will think of something:nilly::nilly::nilly:. Didn't think this would turn into a novel:nilly:. Aaack:nilly:.

roadtrip se
02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Why not just use the money your spending on the pitot tube as a down payment on a gps speedo, then sell the stock one to recoup a tad more Carl? Sorry, but 37,854 pages on how to mount a pitot plus 27,734,584 drawings has already cost ya more in time than the gps would.. :) :)
Plus, it has recall...:yes::yes::bighug:

Not to mention the holes we get to drill in the transom, introducing more opportunities for water instrusion, for an obsolete device that will read five miles per hour off most of the time. And then there is the fun of snapping off the bent pitot tube, which gives you something else to check every time out.

Been there done that many times in the past.

mattyboy
02-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Carl,

if you were in the frat house during my college days your delta tau chi name would be PINBALL ;) :yes: :wink:

BUIZILLA
02-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Carl, if you were in the frat house during my college days your delta tau chi name would be PINBALL ;) :yes: :wink: and all this time I thought he was a ZBT alumni....

mattyboy
02-24-2009, 08:52 AM
:nilly::nilly:I really thought this was going to be an easy one:nilly::nilly:. Now I get a pm that the flip ups can flip up on re-entry:nilly:, plus they are almost half the cost of a gps speedo:nilly:. I just want to plug in my stock speedo so that it works again:nilly:. Damn Imco:nilly:. I will think of something:nilly::nilly::nilly:. Didn't think this would turn into a novel:nilly:. Aaack:nilly:.

carl

i had a flip up on the 16 and it never flipped up on re entry every time it flipped up i knew i had hit a floater( and that one time we ran thru the debris field of a floating memorial that had an encounter with a 26zx ;) ).
you have george's pic that is a good example move it outside of the transom housing like his buy the $4 pickup showed and be done with it

flip ups flip up
non flip ups bend and brake
to much sun can cause skin cancer
the economy is failing
we are all going to die some day
weigh the pros and cons and do it

how long does it take you to pick out your socks in the morning???:confused:

Carl C
02-24-2009, 08:53 AM
and all this time I thought he was a ZBT alumni....

They wouldn't let me in.......not Jewish. Where would you mount the antenna for a gps speedo? It's not really a money thing it is just that I've already got 2 gps speedos and the nice liquid filled Livorsi monster speedo is already in the dash, there is just nowhere to hook up the stupid hose.

roadtrip se
02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
I didn't want to drill a hole in the deck or the top of the dash, so I took the GPS puck and moved it around until I found a place that would work.

It now lives at the top of the passenger foot well. If you have enough left from the cuddy extraction, that is where I would put it. Small hole on the top of the well, pull the wire through, a little 4200, and you're done.

Out of site, out of mind.

Carl C
02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
I didn't want to drill a hole in the deck or the top of the dash, so I took the GPS puck and moved it around until I found a place that would work.

It now lives at the top of the passenger foot well. If you have enough left from the cuddy extraction, that is where I would put it. Small hole on the top of the well, pull the wire through, a little 4200, and you're done.

Out of site, out of mind.

OK, thanks. I will think this over a little more. I really thought this would be easy.

VetteLT193
02-24-2009, 09:32 AM
They wouldn't let me in.......not Jewish. Where would you mount the antenna for a gps speedo? It's not really a money thing it is just that I've already got 2 gps speedos and the nice liquid filled Livorsi monster speedo is already in the dash, there is just nowhere to hook up the stupid hose.

what kind of GPS do you have? the livorsi one is compatible with a number of other GPS units so you might just need a wire from your existing unit.

yeller
02-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Just mount it like is shown in gcarter's pic, extend the factory tube to the pick-up and be done. I understand why you want to keep the factory gauge.

I would use the flip-up type though. All it takes is a small piece of debris to bend the tube.

Carl C
02-24-2009, 05:34 PM
what kind of GPS do you have? the livorsi one is compatible with a number of other GPS units so you might just need a wire from your existing unit.

Just mount it like is shown in gcarter's pic, extend the factory tube to the pick-up and be done. I understand why you want to keep the factory gauge.

I would use the flip-up type though. All it takes is a small piece of debris to bend the tube.

These are two good possibilities. I'm going to have to think about this. Right now I'm leaning toward using the top of the line racing flip up pitot. Might be able to connect a gps speedo to my chartplotter. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. At least I learned some things. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and ordered the cheapy pitot, it will just bend.

boxy
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
i had a flip up on the 16 and it never flipped up on re entry every time it flipped up i knew i had hit a floater( and that one time we ran thru the debris field of a floating memorial that had an encounter with a 26zx ;) ).

That was a fun, and somewhat weird day ...... :nilly:

"Why are there flowers floating in the river?"

10 minutes later ....

"Frankie, what's the gray stuff on the side of your boat?'

Ohhhhhhhhhh :frown:

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 06:48 AM
These are two good possibilities. I'm going to have to think about this. Right now I'm leaning toward using the top of the line racing flip up pitot. Might be able to connect a gps speedo to my chartplotter. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. At least I learned some things. I shouldn't have jumped the gun and ordered the cheapy pitot, it will just bend.

I haven't ever seen one bend. The one I got from CP is heavy duty and it has a crease down side of the whole tube, centerline, to add strength. The only way I could see this thing bending is if I hit something at speed. Like a log. Which would do other damage anyway, like knock a hole in the boat.

My brother runs the same style, his is 9-ish years old, no problems.

mattyboy
02-25-2009, 07:06 AM
That was a fun, and somewhat weird day ...... :nilly:
"Why are there flowers floating in the river?"
10 minutes later ....
"Frankie, what's the gray stuff on the side of your boat?'
Ohhhhhhhhhh :frown:

marie and I were talking about that the other day we met a friend who" might be a boater" and was asking us about 1000 islands we raved about it and told them that story

we said , yeah his wishes were to be scattered amongst the clear water of 1000 islands but wound up going to the jersey shore

our friend said not a bad place either to spent eternity ;)

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I can tell ya a 4" x 20' mooring line WILL bend the pitot tube, get sucked into the freshly (as in picked up 1 hour earlier) refurbed/labbed cleaver, bend the blades, stall the engine, and send everything in the ski locker up where only 7 year olds dare to crawl.. :nilly: :nilly:
Without damaging the hull... :yes: :yes:

alright, you got me there :eek:

I should have said, I can't see it being bent under normal conditions. :bonk:

Carl C
02-25-2009, 10:43 AM
There is a lot of seaweed where I launch at Lake St. Clair. Vette, I appreciate your help but I can't see this thing dragging 50#s of weeds at speed and NOT bending. I'm really leaning toward just getting the top of the line Livorsi pitot for $233 and be done with it.

zelatore
02-25-2009, 10:44 AM
I can tell ya a 4" x 20' mooring line WILL bend the pitot tube, get sucked into the freshly (as in picked up 1 hour earlier) refurbed/labbed cleaver, bend the blades, stall the engine, and send everything in the ski locker up where only 7 year olds dare to crawl.. :nilly: :nilly:
Without damaging the hull... :yes: :yes:

4" ???

Sounds like a trip I took with my parents years ago from Nashville to Evansville, IN. Dad hit a piece of line from one of the tugs. Felt like hitting a log!

Luckily he had a spare prop with him, 'cause that was the end of that prop...

VetteLT193
02-25-2009, 11:40 AM
There is a lot of seaweed where I launch at Lake St. Clair. Vette, I appreciate your help but I can't see this thing dragging 50#s of weeds at speed and NOT bending. I'm really leaning toward just getting the top of the line Livorsi pitot for $233 and be done with it.

you aren't going to hurt my feelings, whatever you do won't affect me.

You'll tend to see the spring loaded one mounted center-line at the bottom of the V on twin engine boats. Likely to be a problem there because it's the lowest part of the boat and the pitot is the first thing to get there.... especially on notched transom boats. Think about beaching or going to a sand bar with the engines up.

Up and to the side on our boats, not a problem even floating on a sand bar. Also consider the installation. the spring loaded one is huge and needs some kind of slack in the line. it looks clunky compared to the fixed mount. If you already ordered the one from CP, I'd wait to see it with your own eyes before buying anything else.

yeller
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Carl, I just noticed you mentioned you already ordered the non-flip one. Seeing as you already paid for it, why not mount that one. I had a cheap plastic one on my 16 for 18yrs without a problem. Granted I couldn't do the speeds you can, but my point is, you've already paid for the cheap one, so why not save your $ for now and see how long this one will last. You never know, it could last for years.

Carl C
02-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I might try the one I've already ordered but my concern is that I don't think the screw pattern is the same as the flip-up and I'd rather not have to redrill any holes. BTW, this boat's never been beached and I hope to keep it that way! It's in pretty much perfect condition still. I will use removable 4200 sealer.

Carl C
03-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Got the Hardin Marine pitot today. The holes are big enough for 1/4" bolts. Are these things through bolted?

VetteLT193
03-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Send it back..

what's the problem with it?

Carl C
03-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Send it back..

what's the problem with it?

If there is any doubt, as there seems to be here, I'd rather play it safe. I thought maybe I'd take a chance with the Hardin pitot. It seems to be well made but if I need to drill 4 holes through the transom for a part that might fail I would rather pay the $230 for the top of the line racing flip-up. I don't think the bolt pattern is the same. Vette, I appreciate your help. I and I alone made the decision to order it and the $40 or so that it cost isn't going to hurt me. I will bite the bullet and order the best one, my boat deserves it. Thanks everybody.

roadtrip se
03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I am going to go with the black socks today...

mattyboy
03-03-2009, 10:30 AM
yes black socks and i will have the tuna on rye for lunch ;)

VetteLT193
03-03-2009, 11:01 AM
If there is any doubt, as there seems to be here, I'd rather play it safe. I thought maybe I'd take a chance with the Hardin pitot. It seems to be well made but if I need to drill 4 holes through the transom for a part that might fail I would rather pay the $230 for the top of the line racing flip-up. I don't think the bolt pattern is the same. Vette, I appreciate your help. I and I alone made the decision to order it and the $40 or so that it cost isn't going to hurt me. I will bite the bullet and order the best one, my boat deserves it. Thanks everybody.

I hear you loud and clear. I'd really like to know what the problem is though. I am 99% sure mine is exactly the same as the one you got and it sure seems beefy.

I don't mind spending extra money if it is necessary, but for the hell of it... I don't think so. If the problem is: there might be a chance at some point maybe possibly bending if some strange turn of events happens: then I'll stick with it. I can replace it 5 times and still be ahead of the game and that would be a whole lot of strange crap happening. But, if there is a real issue with that particular part I don't want to install it on my boat either.

Carl C
03-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I hear you loud and clear. I'd really like to know what the problem is though. I am 99% sure mine is exactly the same as the one you got and it sure seems beefy.

I don't mind spending extra money if it is necessary, but for the hell of it... I don't think so. If the problem is: there might be a chance at some point maybe possibly bending if some strange turn of events happens: then I'll stick with it. I can replace it 5 times and still be ahead of the game and that would be a whole lot of strange crap happening. But, if there is a real issue with that particular part I don't want to install it on my boat either.

I am sorry, Vette. It is nothing personal. People who's opinions I respect have advised me against it. It looks beefy to me too but if I have to drill 4 holes through my transom I have to be 100% sure that those holes will remain in use. I also like the versatility of the flip-up. I could flip it up deliberately if running in weeds or to get that extra .2 mph in a race. I do appreciate your help but I'm gonna have to stick with the black socks and tuna on rye.;)

boxy
03-03-2009, 11:53 AM
yes black socks and i will have the tuna on rye for lunch ;)

Are pickle slices, or pickle spears better with tuna on rye ???

mattyboy
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
i would imagine, the problem would be Carl's indecision about the flip up or not and then having to re drill fill holes that pitot Carl posted is going to put 4 pretty big holes in the transom, if this thing doesn't create that much drag and scrub any speed why such big holes and why 4 or them??? the flip up one i had had 3 screws like number 10 in a triangular pattern one on top and one on each bottom corner,

sorry Carl, but I would not drill 4 holes that big in my transom especially not clear thru to thru bolt them

mattyboy
03-03-2009, 12:03 PM
Are pickle slices, or pickle spears better with tuna on rye ???

tuna on rye ( good NY city rye bread not that wonder bread beefsteak rye crap) lettuce tomato and some black pepper, then a cream soda, and a half sour pickle quartered :yes:

VetteLT193
03-03-2009, 12:24 PM
I am sorry, Vette. It is nothing personal. People who's opinions I respect have advised me against it. It looks beefy to me too but if I have to drill 4 holes through my transom I have to be 100% sure that those holes will remain in use. I also like the versatility of the flip-up. I could flip it up deliberately if running in weeds or to get that extra .2 mph in a race. I do appreciate your help but I'm gonna have to stick with the black socks and tuna on rye.;)

I totally understand... I'm asking if that particular unit is a bad one or if we're back to the fixed mount thing. I haven't mounted it yet and would like to know if this particular unit has a problem over say, the Livorsi fixed mount.

On the flip up mount: If it is the one I'm thinking of you can't flip it up and leave it up, it's spring loaded. not that it really matters, just sayin'

BigGrizzly
03-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Carl, You love that boat and it deserves the best. Why do you even think about going cheap, you never do. This is your baby, treat it that way. I know what boat love is, follow your heart not your wallet. It does not matter what the others think, just that you are happy. This is why I do my engines, because there will be nobody to blame but myself.

Carl C
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I totally understand... I'm asking if that particular unit is a bad one or if we're back to the fixed mount thing. I haven't mounted it yet and would like to know if this particular unit has a problem over say, the Livorsi fixed mount.

On the flip up mount: If it is the one I'm thinking of you can't flip it up and leave it up, it's spring loaded. not that it really matters, just sayin'

All I know is what I've learned here and a little from a guy on Speedwake who said that his would gradually bend. I ordered the best one from Livorsi. Model #RBM2A. http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/pitot_gaugeaccess.htm#pitot_tubes They no longer make the racing version. Tech support said that they do stay up when they flip and you have to manually put it back down. It's on it's way. Case closed.

[quote=BigGrizzly;498435]Carl, You love that boat and it deserves the best. Why do you even think about going cheap, you never do. This is your baby, treat it that way. I know what boat love is, follow your heart not your wallet. It does not matter what the others think, just that you are happy. This is why I do my engines, because there will be nobody to blame but myself.[/quote

You are right. I just didn't know better. The best pitot I could find is on it's way. 'Poodle is sending my trim sender so all my gauges will be working again.

Carl C
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I got it. First off, Vette was right and Livorsi tech support was wrong, the pitot does not stay up when it flips up. It uses screws as pictured, not through bolted. Should I use 4200 sealer (removable) or 5200 (not removable)?

mattyboy
03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
my rule of thumb 4200 above the waterline 5200 below

Carl C
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
OK, that was what I was leaning toward. I'll use a generous amount on the screws and back of pitot. Thanks.

mattyboy
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Carl

i would also pre drill the holes and then wet some epoxy in there with a small paint brush and let that soak up into the raw wood

gcarter
03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Do what Matty said. Waterproof the wood.
Just a rule of thumb....you would want to seal the screws at the surface w/5200 or something, just behind the plate, not into the wood.
You do want to get it back apart again someday.

Matty's solution is very superior to anything else. If you use a thin penetrating epoxy and saturate the wood grain, it'll never absorb any water.
Well, it's an imperfect world, but that's the theory.

Carl C
03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
OK, will do the epoxy thing too.

Carl C
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Closure.

Did everything you guys said:

RedDog
03-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Looks good. You might be able to find some colored vinyl mesh sleeving to go over the back tubing. A stainless mesh would look best but it might mar your gel?