PDA

View Full Version : Alpha transom seal kit

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
I want to replace all the seals, etc. on my Alpha when I switch over to the new drive.

Is the 'standard' way of doing this to just buy the transom seal kit and toss the exhaust bellows? Mine has a block off plate so I don't need it, but I don't see a kit that doesn't come with it.

Seems like Sterndrive engineering has a good price, $80. Anyone sell it for less?

gcarter
02-23-2009, 08:59 AM
I want to replace all the seals, etc. on my Alpha when I switch over to the new drive.

Is the 'standard' way of doing this to just buy the transom seal kit and toss the exhaust bellows? Mine has a block off plate so I don't need it, but I don't see a kit that doesn't come with it.

Seems like Sterndrive engineering has a good price, $80. Anyone sell it for less?

That's a fair price.

rustnrot
02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
When I rebuilt the Alpha Gen One for the F14 I used the Sterndrive kit (also new upper and lowers and tilt arms, etc.). The kit is a good value and comes with a new gimbal bearing. It does NOT come with the thick transom seal itself.

I would look on the bright side, getting the exhaust bellows on is harder than getting the bigger one on. I also changed out the shift cable, shift arm, misc. bearings and seals, etc. that I had to get from Mercury direct. Spent several hundred dollars but now it is like new. (I wish Sterndrive sold new gimbal assemblies also!).

Be careful when pressing in bearing and be sure lined up correctly. I would rate the job 3 wrenches (first time I have done it), a velvet drive trans rebuild I give a 4.

Best site I found for lots of info http://www.mercstuff.com/

VetteLT193
02-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys... I'll order it up then.

I figure this job will take me a day to do, assuming I'm running around the house and doing other stuff at the same time.