PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something???

techspecial
02-21-2009, 02:59 PM
New SBC Alpha One coupler...New one comes with this bushing that the old one didn't have...Bushing doesn't fit into the driveshaft...Vendor says that it's Mercruiser's new and improved model...Does it go back or am I missing something? Thanks, Mike

MOP
02-21-2009, 04:49 PM
We are looking at the engine side here, the flip side should be fine.

techspecial
02-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Phil,
It's the motor side I'm talking about...
That bushing doesn't fit in the cutout in the drive shaft.
Thanks, Mike

farmer tx
02-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Do you mean CRANKSHAFT.:wink:

smokediver
02-21-2009, 08:10 PM
i am sure that you mean it doesnt fit where the bellhousing is ... need to take that off ... I think that newer couplers wont work on older models .. not sure of the years but once you take off the bellhousing you can check the bolt pattern .. hope this helps

techspecial
02-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes, Crankshaft...Sorry...DUH!!!

BigGrizzly
02-22-2009, 10:24 AM
What has happened starting with the MercTrans it is the pilot bushing in the flywheel. The Merc trans takes out the oil pump if it isn't there. In the others the shaft wobbles and hurts the coupler or the shaft, so I am told. I never took the chance and put the bushing in. BTW the velvet drive doesn't use a piolot bushing because the way the shaft is supported in the trans.

techspecial
02-22-2009, 11:21 AM
I have no transmission. The bushing is supposed to fit in an opening in the crankshaft. It's too tight though. The flywheel doesn't come into play. It's cut so it's clear of the crankshaft opening. Thanks, Mike

techspecial
02-22-2009, 01:58 PM
First of all thanks!!!
Turns out that I was confused because they look so different.
The new model comes with rubber vibration dampers that also
act as spacers. When you torque down the three bolts the
bushing is pressed against a taper on the driveshaft but never
actually enters it. The new style coupler also has a zerk fitting
on the bushing for lubrication. I don't know if I'll be able to get
to the zerk fitting once I drop the motor but at least I'll know
it's not dry when it goes in.. Thanks Again, Mike

gcarter
02-22-2009, 02:42 PM
You can get to the fitting.
Merc makes some spline grease that is just phenominal....if you get it on you, it don't come off.
Really great stuff for highly loaded areas like splines.

harbormaster
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
George are you talking about the green 101 grease? If so you are right. I end up wearing that crap home after trying to use just a little.