PDA

View Full Version : One of my road toys

Conquistador_del_mar
02-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I know some of the Donzi guys here are into cars. Here is one where I did all the work - custom body work, suspension, engine, tranny, sidepipes, paint, and interior. I don't take it out much, but it is a fun car to drive. Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ife3PkxVCAA

Here is the car before I started on it.

Ed Donnelly
02-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Gotta love the air filter.. I have the same one on the Pantera. If I have clearance problems because of the new supercharger on the Criterion,it may go on there...........Ed

Conquistador_del_mar
02-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Ed,
Sweet Pantera! (one of my favorite cars) Do those baffled exhaust tips hurt your performance any? I doubt it, but I wanted to ask. Did you go with a high performance engine replacement? Any mods to the car? When those came out they were the second best cornering street cars made behind the Ferrari Dino. That aluminum Holley breather worked out great on my Vette with a low profile and the intakes are almost in line with the hood intakes. Bill

Ed Donnelly
02-21-2009, 02:01 AM
The exhausts are super traps Remove discs to increase low-rpm torque.
Add discs to improve hi-rpm torque

Too many things done to the engine to list

485 h.p. and 250 h.p. on the bottle..........Ed

BigGrizzly
02-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Del mar, don't you ever do anything half arsed. Come to Ga and I can teach you:wink: ED does that one have the Cleveland in it? My favorite cars are the Pantera, Ford GT. 66 289 Cobera and 62 vette. Don't ask why they just are

Conquistador_del_mar
02-21-2009, 10:16 AM
The exhausts are super traps Remove discs to increase low-rpm torque.
Add discs to improve hi-rpm torque

Too many things done to the engine to list

485 h.p. and 250 h.p. on the bottle..........Ed

Do you race the Pantera in any road race courses? I presume you meant it has an extra 250HP on NOS? I just noticed the Donnelly Ford dealership labels - did you buy it new at your dealership? Your Donzi 1 plates are cool - the man I bought my 1971 Donzi from has had Donzi 1 Texas plates since at least 1971. I wonder how many other country and state Donzi 1 plates there are.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Del mar, don't you ever do anything half arsed. Come to Ga and I can teach you:wink: ED does that one have the Cleveland in it? My favorite cars are the Pantera, Ford GT. 66 289 Cobera and 62 vette. Don't ask why they just are

Randy,
We have identical tastes in cars, and I could add a few more. As my father used to drill into me, if you are going to do something - do it right the first time - not half "heartedly" - lol. Too funny with the line "Come to GA and I can teach you". I am having to really slow it down on my work, but I still have quite a few projects I would like to complete. Bill

Just Say N20
02-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the quality of work people on this site turn out. And del Mar is at the top, and he has done about a zillion of them.

I too like to do a great job, but then there is the reality of $$$$$$$$$.

Just for kicks, I dug up this picture. Not sure what I was thinking, well, that's not true. I KNOW what I was thinking, but looking back. . . .

This was my set up in 1983. I was 27. 1975 Corvette (with a stick). 1976 Donzi X-18. This isn't photoshop. I went all over creation with this set up.
What a ma-roon!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/1976Donzi1975Vette.jpg

Ed Donnelly
02-21-2009, 01:32 PM
I towed my Mandella across country with my 72 Vette.

Grizz 351 Cleveland

mods 3" drop floor pan
rect headlights
leather interior
custom armrests
850 hp half shafts
air assist font grill
4 corner fully adjustable suspension
front and rear body support structures
Mariah Fans
P7 345 35 15 rears
etc. etc. etc.

250 hp nox is yum yum 485 + 250

Donnelly Ford very distant relations.. Ordered through Gateway Lincoln in Toronto
Flew to new York with Tim Horton of the Toronto Maple Leafs to pick up the cars............Ed

P.S. First year custom plates came out Donzi was gone had to get Donzi1 Met the guy with Donzi
plate on his M/B.. didn't even know what a Donzi was.. He had heard the name somewhere and liked it..Wouldn't sell me the plate.............

chappy
02-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Cool thread all around.

FWIW..........................N2O................. ..........

LOVE THE PIC OF THE 'VETTE TOWING THE X!

:pimp:

Ed Donnelly
02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
NO plus NO2 = NOX

I say TomAtoe you say Tomatoe lets call the whole thing off:wink:..Ed

Just Say N20
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Cool thread all around.

FWIW..........................N2O................. ..........

LOVE THE PIC OF THE 'VETTE TOWING THE X!

:pimp:

Thanks! Squatted out the Vette pretty good.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/1976X18portside.jpg

HOWARD O
02-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Wasn't it your boat up for sale again......and were you able to buy it back? :confused:

The Hedgehog
02-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Nice looking cars,

Bill, I have kicked around doing something very similar with a vette. What kind of tranny did you go with?

The Hedgehog
02-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Gotta love the air filter.. I have the same one on the Pantera. If I have clearance problems because of the new supercharger on the Criterion,it may go on there...........Ed

Ed, just let me know when you are tired of the Pantera.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I never cease to be amazed at the quality of work people on this site turn out. And del Mar is at the top, and he has done about a zillion of them.

I too like to do a great job, but then there is the reality of $$$$$$$$$.

Just for kicks, I dug up this picture. Not sure what I was thinking, well, that's not true. I KNOW what I was thinking, but looking back. . . .

This was my set up in 1983. I was 27. 1975 Corvette (with a stick). 1976 Donzi X-18. This isn't photoshop. I went all over creation with this set up.
What a ma-roon!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/1976Donzi1975Vette.jpg

Thanks so much for the compliment - maybe I am the moron for doing so many cars and boats where it is many times impossible to justify the expenses involved. I just like to restore things - that is my pleasure in life. Seeing your picture reminds me of the guy who bought my 1971 Donzi in about 1978 - he pulled it behind his wife's Vette until he had to make a hard stop one day - ouch! The hitch collapsed under the Vette. Cool picture! Thanks again, Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-21-2009, 06:34 PM
I towed my Mandella across country with my 72 Vette.

Grizz 351 Cleveland

mods 3" drop floor pan
rect headlights
leather interior
custom armrests
850 hp half shafts
air assist font grill
4 corner fully adjustable suspension
front and rear body support structures
Mariah Fans
P7 345 35 15 rears
etc. etc. etc.

250 hp nox is yum yum 485 + 250

Donnelly Ford very distant relations.. Ordered through Gateway Lincoln in Toronto
Flew to new York with Tim Horton of the Toronto Maple Leafs to pick up the cars............Ed

P.S. First year custom plates came out Donzi was gone had to get Donzi1 Met the guy with Donzi
plate on his M/B.. didn't even know what a Donzi was.. He had heard the name somewhere and liked it..Wouldn't sell me the plate.............

Ed,
Those are some great mods. Knowing Panteras, the floor pans probably needed to be replaced anyway. Did you also go with a radiator upgrade (undoubtedly)? I am not so sure that I don't personally like Donzi 1 better than just Donzi. I had a heck of a time here in Texas settling on a custom plate for my Cobra - the guy in Austin and I had to talk for at least 15 minutes for me to get Cobra S. He told me many plates are not even used on the cars, just registered and paid for by someone who wants to keep the name. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Nice looking cars,

Bill, I have kicked around doing something very similar with a vette. What kind of tranny did you go with?

Bill,
I used a local racer who was recommended to build a 700R-4 overdrive tranny. He got my parameters and made it according to my specs. He told me it would easily be good to 650HP the way he built it. When I told him I wanted a hard shift into second instead of a smooth and slow shift, he didn't mess around. It chirps the tires even on a slow acceleration. By the way, he bought a salvage 700, built it, painted it, and delivered it for $650 - a real bargain. I installed it along with all the other parts. I really like the Steeroid steering system which took the play out of the steering. I also went with a 3.55 rear end. Between the low first and second gears along with the rear end, it really accelerates awesome. The overdrive tranny keeps the RPMs to around 2400 at 70MPH, though. Bill

The Hedgehog
02-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Bill,
I used a local racer who was recommended to build a 700R-4 overdrive tranny. He got my parameters and made it according to my specs. He told me it would easily be good to 650HP the way he built it. When I told him I wanted a hard shift into second instead of a smooth and slow shift, he didn't mess around. It chirps the tires even on a slow acceleration. By the way, he bought a salvage 700, built it, painted it, and delivered it for $650 - a real bargain. I installed it along with all the other parts. I really like the Steeroid steering system which took the play out of the steering. I also went with a 3.55 rear end. Between the low first and second gears along with the rear end, it really accelerates awesome. The overdrive tranny keeps the RPMs to around 2400 at 70MPH, though. Bill

Nice. That's a cool setup

Ed Donnelly
02-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Bill; I did the floor pans for more headroom..

This is a high mileage Pantera Turned 30,000 MILES last year..

That is over 800 miles a year..

HMMMMMMM Cobra??????? West Coast, Unique....Please don't say original:nilly:

Tell me more....................Ed

Just Say N20
02-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Wasn't it your boat up for sale again......and were you able to buy it back? :confused:

Howard, Great memory.

Yes it did come up for sale. I spoke with the guy at length. He decided to keep it, but said could have first dibs if/when he decided to sell it.

With that information, we bought my wife a new car, and then about a month later he called me saying he changed his mind and wondered if I was interested. Yes, I was, but timing wasn't going to work.

I haven't seen it listed since then, so I don't know if he still has it or not.

When I sell my Reflexx Jet boat, I will be in a position to start looking again.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/videos/?action=view&current=1976X18Reving.flv

Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-22-2009, 02:13 AM
Bill; I did the floor pans for more headroom..

This is a high mileage Pantera Turned 30,000 MILES last year..

That is over 800 miles a year..

HMMMMMMM Cobra??????? West Coast, Unique....Please don't say original:nilly:

Tell me more....................Ed

Yep, I remember the only ride I got in a friend's Pantera was years ago and it was not built for a tall framed man. Only 30,000 miles seems incredible to me!
Mine is a Classic Roadster replica built with all new parts except the actual engine block. Here are some of the parts list that I can remember off the top of my head.
Race built 427CID stroked motor making 489HP on the dyno
Front mounted oil cooler
Aluminum jet coated headers and sidepipes
Griffin aluminum radiator
Tremec 5 speed TKO tranny
Currie geared rear end
Carrera adjustable coil over springs
SS Flaming River steering system - no power steering
Ididit SS tiltable steering column
Stewart Warner gauges with the reverse 180MPH speedo
Moto Lita steering wheel
SS headache bar
Corvette front disc brakes with Ford Excursion rear disc brakes
G Force 255/45 ZR17s in front
G Force 285/40 ZR17s in rear
Halibrand wheels
weight is 2300 lbs
This one is painted with Dupont Chroma One in Corvette millenium yellow.

It has 2300 miles on it now, and I rarely drive it. I mostly use it for car shows, parades, and taking out friends and relatives. It took me a while to feel confident driving it since it has such awesome acceleration. Hope you don't mind the large photobucket pictures I took a couple years ago. It is a real crowd drawing car, but I did not build this one up - I only did a few mods to it. Bill

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/Conquistador_del_mar/Cobra-backyard.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/Conquistador_del_mar/Cobra-rear.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/Conquistador_del_mar/Cobrainterior.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj316/Conquistador_del_mar/1965Cobraengine-427CID-489HP.jpg

Lenny
02-22-2009, 02:32 AM
WOW ... :yes:

Beautiful...

I just put my man-card away... :(

olredalert
02-22-2009, 08:14 AM
-------Bill,,,I am adoptable!!! You can just call me junior.........Bill S

BigGrizzly
02-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Funny, but in the mid 70s a guy use to come to the motorcycle races with a red vette with a trailer with his TZ250 in it with his blond, girl or wife. She worked hard keeping him and the bike clean and actually would help fixing stuff. what memories. Wonder what ever happened to them.

Ghost
02-22-2009, 10:02 AM
That Cobra is stunning. I know people will want to kill me when I say I've seen so many double-striped blue ones that they look kinda ho-hum to me (in pictures anyhow, I'm sure the real thing would be different), but that yellow really works with the car and shows off how great all the curves are. I love it.

BigGrizzly
02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
I had an original all blue 289 when they were new, Dad gave me a choice car or college. I may have made the wrong choice:garfield: I took college:yes::yes:. and a 16 classic. The Cobra was totaled two months after I sold it.:eek::eek::eek:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-22-2009, 11:16 AM
WOW ... :yes:

Beautiful...

I just put my man-card away... :(

Too funny, thanks.

-------Bill,,,I am adoptable!!! You can just call me junior.........Bill S

Bill Jr and Sr might be workable, but wouldn't you be calling me Jr? Don't know if I could handle that - lol

That Cobra is stunning. I know people will want to kill me when I say I've seen so many double-striped blue ones that they look kinda ho-hum to me (in pictures anyhow, I'm sure the real thing would be different), but that yellow really works with the car and shows off how great all the curves are. I love it.

When I was looking for one about 4 years ago, I probably looked at 500 or more online. This one stood out both in the look and all the custom work. He had built it exactly like I would have built one. When I asked him how he chose the color, he told me he had seen an advertisement in a magazine with one at the top of a mountain and told his wife - "I am going to build that car". The only reason he sold it was a heart surgery that went bad - great guy. Thanks, Bill

I had an original all blue 289 when they were new, Dad gave me a choice car or college. I may have made the wrong choice:garfield: I took college:yes::yes:. and a 16 classic. The Cobra was totaled two months after I sold it.:eek::eek::eek:

Randy,
I remember that you had one from another post. If anyone looks back, I imagine there are many things we might change. Not many of the originals survived. From what I have read, many were totaled soon after purchase. At least you don't have to look back with a memory like that - one of my best friends totaled his 1966 427 Vette during a night of drinking and showing what it would do - ouch! Bill

Just Say N20
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
del Mar - Phenominal AC. I love the yellow.

I went to the Grand Rapids Boat Show yesterday. I'm doing this tongue-in-cheek, because it seems like someone will mention some cool old boat, or car, and you will immediately start posting pictures of the one you restored!

I came across this Century. I have done my share of playing in the wooden boat arena, and I have never seen one like this, with the hard top with hinged T-tops, and the odd sides. When did you restore one like this? :cool!: :yes:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/CenturyHardTopBow.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/CenturyHardTopStern.jpg

Conquistador_del_mar
02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
del Mar - Phenominal AC. I love the yellow.

I went to the Grand Rapids Boat Show yesterday. I'm doing this tongue-in-cheek, because it seems like someone will mention some cool old boat, or car, and you will immediately start posting pictures of the one you restored!

I came across this Century. I have done my share of playing in the wooden boat arena, and I have never seen one like this, with the hard top with hinged T-tops, and the odd sides. When did you restore one like this? :cool!: :yes:

I really like that Century, but I don't know what model it is. I have only had one Century - a 1963 Coronado. I have a picture or two of it around my house, but I don't guess I have scanned it into my computer. I got really lucky with it, and I really liked it. I bought it at a nice discount from a wealthy man in Dallas who was tired of putting money into it - the engine was not running right when he decided to dump it. It had a Chrysler 413 which I found out only needed two new push rods (they were bent). I actually would like to buy another one after selling that one in about 1985. It had an aircraft push-pull throttle which you would then fine tune by turning it, and it drove beautifully with a real nice idle rumble through the dual waterline exhausts. If I find the pictures, I will scan and post them. Do you remember the model of the one at the boat show? Bill

Just Say N20
02-22-2009, 10:49 PM
I was thinking when I took the picture, I should really take a close up of the plaque. It was a 1965 model, but beyond that I don't remember.

I had a 1959 Chris*Craft Sportsman. It was a 17' Utility, looked like a ski boat. Had the big shift lever in the floor, and the throttle was in the center of the steering wheel. It had an arm that rotated. I didn't like it, because you could catch it with your forearm if you were spinning the wheel.

It originally had a big old Hercules 300 CID straight six. I didn't like it, and bought a 1961 Chris 23' Sea Skiff that was shot so I could get the Chris*Craft 283 V8. Ran and sounded much better with the SBC.

This was shot in 1985 on the Rock River, in Rockford, IL. I was much thinner then :) I had forgotten about the dog. That was my Sheltie, named DONZI!

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/videos/?action=view&current=1959ChrisCraft.flv

Ed Donnelly
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Thats likely his that he just restored last fall:kingme::kingme:...Ed

Conquistador_del_mar
02-23-2009, 12:59 AM
I was thinking when I took the picture, I should really take a close up of the plaque. It was a 1965 model, but beyond that I don't remember.

I had a 1959 Chris*Craft Sportsman. It was a 17' Utility, looked like a ski boat. Had the big shift lever in the floor, and the throttle was in the center of the steering wheel. It had an arm that rotated. I didn't like it, because you could catch it with your forearm if you were spinning the wheel.

It originally had a big old Hercules 300 CID straight six. I didn't like it, and bought a 1961 Chris 23' Sea Skiff that was shot so I could get the Chris*Craft 283 V8. Ran and sounded much better with the SBC.

This was shot in 1985 on the Rock River, in Rockford, IL. I was much thinner then :) I had forgotten about the dog. That was my Sheltie, named DONZI!

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c111/streb2005/videos/?action=view&current=1959ChrisCraft.flv

Cool video! How did you get the video from an old form from 1985 into digital? The sound and look of your Chris brings back some great memories. I did a total restoration of a 1939 Chris Craft 17' deluxe runabout with the dual cokpits and a 1953 Chris Craft Riviera 18', and they both had those steering column throttles, the floor shifters, and the Hercules engines with the single copper exhaust. The 1953 had a slightly larger engine, but they both ran around the same speed - maybe 35MPH. The Century Coronado ran about 45+MPH with the sweet Chrysler 413. The Century Coronado had Honduras mahoghany where the Chris Crafts had the Phillipine mahoghany - the two woods have very different grains and colors. I had a hard time finding the Phillipine mahoghany pieces that I needed for the restorations. I still have many wooden restoration books and quite a few books by Bob Speltz since I was really into the old woodies 25 years ago. It is probably bittersweet seeing your dog, Donzi. If you find out what model Century that was , please let me know. Bill

BigGrizzly
02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I had always wanted a Century Saber. One early morning after a majior discussion about the Cobra, Dad took us shopping for a Century and we came home with the 16 my sister still has. I have never regretted it. That afternoon my sister and I blew by that Century I was in love with. Maybe it was really the girl driving the Century.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-23-2009, 11:20 AM
I had always wanted a Century Saber. One early morning after a majior discussion about the Cobra, Dad took us shopping for a Century and we came home with the 16 my sister still has. I have never regretted it. That afternoon my sister and I blew by that Century I was in love with. Maybe it was really the girl driving the Century.

Randy,
I think you nailed it down. I checked and found a 1964 Century Sabre that looks like the picture of the one at the boat show - except the one at the boat show is a hard top version. Cool boat!! Thanks, Bill

Just Say N20
02-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Yup. Century Sabre.

Bill, regarding the conversion. I bought an ADS PYRO A/V Link. It is a device that has S-video in, the yelo RCA Video in along with the white/red audio in, and a 4 pin DV in.

I plugged the old vcr into the three RCA jacks, and the box did whatever it needed to let me import it into my MAC using iMovie HD.

I wanted to have video files on my computer of some of the boat stuff from the 70s and 80s that only existed on video tape. You can see the green line along the bottom of the Chris Craft video. That was actually on the tape. It is not a result of going through the conversion process.

There are lots of flavors. I think I paid around $200 for mine.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ADS+Pyro+A/V+Link&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=xuWiSYSqOpjeM6SswOIL&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

BigGrizzly
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
The Saber was a hard top that slid back Like a sun roof sort of on tracks. It was a beautiful boat

Just Say N20
02-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Bill! Looky-Looky-Looky

Here is one for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-Antique-Century-Sabre-Runabout-Gullwing-Top_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270346540288QQsspagenam eZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

Conquistador_del_mar
02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
The Saber was a hard top that slid back Like a sun roof sort of on tracks. It was a beautiful boat

Randy,
The one on ebay looks like it is a solid mounted top with canopy flip up roof panels. Did they make another version with a top that slid back? Bill

Bill! Looky-Looky-Looky

Here is one for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare-Antique-Century-Sabre-Runabout-Gullwing-Top_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ270346540288QQsspagenam eZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

Thanks for the link! I just wrote the seller with a few questions. It would be a bad time for me to take on another boat, but I really do like the unusual features - cool boat! Bill

BigGrizzly
02-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Yep that is the one. I could be thinking of the Cornado or something-I am just getting old and feeble.:confused:

Conquistador_del_mar
02-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Yup. Century Sabre.

Bill, regarding the conversion. I bought an ADS PYRO A/V Link. It is a device that has S-video in, the yelo RCA Video in along with the white/red audio in, and a 4 pin DV in.

I plugged the old vcr into the three RCA jacks, and the box did whatever it needed to let me import it into my MAC using iMovie HD.

I wanted to have video files on my computer of some of the boat stuff from the 70s and 80s that only existed on video tape. You can see the green line along the bottom of the Chris Craft video. That was actually on the tape. It is not a result of going through the conversion process.

There are lots of flavors. I think I paid around $200 for mine.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ADS+Pyro+A/V+Link&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=xuWiSYSqOpjeM6SswOIL&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I forgot to thank you for the information on the conversion process. I thought you might have gone even farther back than the video tape - before the VCR type camcorders. I ended up buying a Pinnacle system with the audio and video converter box that converts the signals to digital and into my computer. It is called Studio Plus 700-USB version 10. The actual program that installed in my computer is huge, but I finally figured it out enough to be dangerous - lol. If it weren't for my old tapes, I would have just bought a new digital camcorder. Thanks again, Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Yep that is the one. I could be thinking of the Cornado or something-I am just getting old and feeble.:confused:
Randy,
If you don't kick out the jams, someone might have to drive over and spank you. Just saying. :wink: Bill

Craig S
02-25-2009, 08:39 AM
The Sabre tops were fixed with t-tops. There were two versions, the 61-63(?) and the slightly larger '64 to '67.

Funny thing about the tops. When you think Coronado or Sabre, you always picture them with the tops. The brochures always showed tops. In fact, the tops were optional. Every once in a while you'll see a Sabre or Coronado without the top...'just ain't right!

Conquistador_del_mar
02-25-2009, 09:58 AM
The Sabre tops were fixed with t-tops. There were two versions, the 61-63(?) and the slightly larger '64 to '67.

Funny thing about the tops. When you think Coronado or Sabre, you always picture them with the tops. The brochures always showed tops. In fact, the tops were optional. Every once in a while you'll see a Sabre or Coronado without the top...'just ain't right!

Over the years, I have seen more Coronados without the tops than with them. My 1963 did not have the hardtop - just a bimini that snapped to the windshield. I am still trying to find some pictures of it.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-25-2009, 10:04 AM
In case anyone following this thread is interested in the Sabre on ebay, here is a reply I just received back from the seller:

Bill,
The upholstery has about 3 or 4 small places that need fixing the worst beeing a tear 1/2 the size of a dollar bill where someone drug their foot across the side getting in. The bottom is in good shape no woodwork needed, I would probably paint the bottom and lightly sand and varnish the sides. Everything worked perfect on the boat when it was parked about 4 years ago. The boat has been in the garage and covered, I see no reason that anything mechanicaly would be wrong with it now. This has always been an extremely reliable boat. My parents used this boat at their lake house for 12 or 14 years, and never had a problem with it. If I can answer anymore questions let me know. This is a great boat and I don't believe you would be disapointed.
Thanks
Heath

Craig S
02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Over the years, I have seen more Coronados without the tops than with them. My 1963 did not have the hardtop - just a bimini that snapped to the windshield. I am still trying to find some pictures of it.

When I'm in a Coronado, I realize I don't have that many friends! I guess they seat 8 or so.

You were probably better off without the top...the few times I've been in a Sabre or Coronado, I realize they are designed for looks. A buddy of mine has a '67 Sabre, and its just difficult to get around underneath it.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
When I'm in a Coronado, I realize I don't have that many friends! I guess they seat 8 or so.

You were probably better off without the top...the few times I've been in a Sabre or Coronado, I realize they are designed for looks. A buddy of mine has a '67 Sabre, and its just difficult to get around underneath it.

I think you nailed it. I personally think they are very nice looking from the outside, but they were not all that practical in terms of usage in my book. Yep, my Coronado had tons of seating room. Bill

The Hedgehog
03-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Yo Conquistador, got Cobra also.

This is my father's. He has a whole fleet of toys (you can see the others lurking around). I can only aspire.

I think that most of you guys would like him. He has lots of the same sicknesses. Oh yeah, he does have a Donzi.

BigGrizzly
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, Bil you came upon it honestly, it is in the blood. My grandfather handed it to me. Keep it up. If we are not making noise and going fast we are not having fun:D:D

Conquistador_del_mar
03-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Yo Conquistador, got Cobra also.

This is my father's. He has a whole fleet of toys (you can see the others lurking around). I can only aspire.

I think that most of you guys would like him. He has lots of the same sicknesses. Oh yeah, he does have a Donzi.

Bill,
Do you know what company made the kit (presuming it is a replica). His has the original looking "turkey pan" breather intake that mine does not. Is his a 427 engine? I am glad to see another yellow one out there - :smile: Thanks, Bill

Well, Bil you came upon it honestly, it is in the blood. My grandfather handed it to me. Keep it up. If we are not making noise and going fast we are not having fun:D:D

Randy,
You have that right - in my case, I was not able to afford toys like these when I was younger so I guess I am living my youth at 56 years of age - lol. Bill

The Hedgehog
03-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Well said.

The Hedgehog
03-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Bill,
Do you know what company made the kit (presuming it is a replica). His has the original looking "turkey pan" breather intake that mine does not. Is his a 427 engine? I am glad to see another yellow one out there - :smile: Thanks, Bill

Randy,
You have that right - in my case, I was not able to afford toys like these when I was younger so I guess I am living my youth at 56 years of age - lol. Bill

I will get the details of the kit. Its pretty tell turned out. The engine is a 351 C with big heads. I think it dynos at 420 hp.

It is a hand full as I am sure yours is. Something about 420hp in a little car like that.

BigGrizzly
03-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Bill, and Bill, Your never to old to have fun mentally the physical thing is an issue. Life is short, trust me I have been close to the other place. Just have fun with the toys.