PDA

View Full Version : It runs this weekend!

Speed Racer
02-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, I have been a bit too quiet of late.. Too much work and trying to get the V-drive ready to fire. BUT finally, It is ready!
My hope is to fire it in driveway this weekend, then take it to the launch ramp and slowly back it in, to check for leaks, then the deck goes on!
Any suggestions of things to look for?!? Things I might have missed?
Thanks!
Garry

HOWARD O
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Any suggestions of things to look for?!?

Yeah, me drooling all over your valve covers! :eek!:

That's beautiful, hope everything turns out perfect! :crossfing:

Trueser
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure I would put that in the water without the deck installed. The balance may be way off and once the water goes over the back your done.

Maybe someone has done this already....

good luck looks great.

DonziJon
02-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Don't be in a big hurry to stop the shaft log from dripping. Once it gets broken in it will run cool to the touch, but it will take awhile to get there. When it's new it will probably run warm to the touch and it's something you want to monitor every now and then until it's broken in, and you feel comfortable with it.

Once you are comfortable with the running temp, it should Drip maybe once every couple of seconds while the shaft is turning. Once the shaft stops turning, it should stop dripping after a few minutes of inactivity. The amount of dripping is controlled by tightening or loosening the big gland nut..By Hand.

I'm talking above about the old fashioned flax packing..I think it was. More modern shaft logs may run without dripping. I'm not up to date here. John

rustnrot
02-19-2009, 07:08 PM
DonziJon is right about the shaft packing except now you can get kevlar impregnated with teflon and reduce the controlled leakage further. Remember, it is better to be too loose than too tight.

How did you get those H-M manifolds so shiny, who polished them and how many $$ was it?

Speed Racer
02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
DonziJon is right about the shaft packing except now you can get kevlar impregnated with teflon and reduce the controlled leakage further. Remember, it is better to be too loose than too tight.

How did you get those H-M manifolds so shiny, who polished them and how many $$ was it?

I found a great guy about 5 minutes from my place here in Seattle that Polished the Manifolds, re-chromed the Rudder housing, as well as the emblems, lifting rings etc..
I think he charged me about 500 bucks for the manifolds and risers. They were in horrible shape. Two coats of paint on em, and really nasty looking.

MOP
02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
I have packed a few hundred shafts my rule of thumb is let it drip but no faster then one drop 30 seconds, Have to check into the stuff Tommy is talking about sounds very good. My preference has always been the white flax, the black graphite in salt water causes pitting of the shaft due to electrolysis. For a fast shaft you can't best "Last Drop" it causes no friction at all, and almost -0- maintenance.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Garry,
What a great looking engine package. Will the high rise intake with the carb clear the engine hatch after the breather is installed? Where did you end up putting the water intakes - I know the main engine pickup is in the strut. I presume those are two dumps at the transom? What type stuffing box did you install? We will probably be ready to run our boats at the same time since my upholstery man has drug his feet and azz so long - lol. Congrats on getting it done. Bill

rustnrot
02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Nice, the manifolds almost look chrome plated! Did you disassemble before polishing, and if so, I assume you cut your own gaskets.

MOP, with the advent of the teflon/kevlar stuff (and I agree I hate the graphite stuff it also grooves the shaft more) you can adjust the leak to nearly zero, however I still adjust like you so I know not too tight. IMO teflon/kevlar is better than Lasdrop since the shaft/shaft log alignment can be sloppier, with Lasdrop you have to be dead-on so the precision lapped bearing faces meet perfectly...

zelatore
02-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Wow. All this talk of how much your shaft log should drip. How retro....

http://www.shaftseal.com/

http://www.tidesmarine.com/

How much should your shaft seal drip?
(envelope please...)
And the answer is .... 0!

Thank you for playing! Michele has some nice parting gifts for you. Please exit stage right. :)

Speed Racer
02-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Garry,
What a great looking engine package. Will the high rise intake with the carb clear the engine hatch after the breather is installed? Where did you end up putting the water intakes - I know the main engine pickup is in the strut. I presume those are two dumps at the transom? What type stuffing box did you install? We will probably be ready to run our boats at the same time since my upholstery man has drug his feet and azz so long - lol. Congrats on getting it done. Bill

Hey Bill!
Actually, one dump in the transom for the bilge pump, the other is for fresh water flushing, it has a quick disconnect check valve that you plug the garden hose into. It goes to a T then to the water pump.

I did drill the bottom for the v-drive pick up.. Did not want to, but it was the easiest way to go.
Thanks for the kind words, and yes, I too hope the lid will fit on.. If not, I guess I will change the manifold...

Speed Racer
02-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow. All this talk of how much your shaft log should drip. How retro....

http://www.shaftseal.com/

http://www.tidesmarine.com/

How much should your shaft seal drip?
(envelope please...)
And the answer is .... 0!

Thank you for playing! Michele has some nice parting gifts for you. Please exit stage right. :)

We DO have a winner!! :) Dripless High horsepower job that has a bearing and a seal for the shaft. I did use the teflon on the 'other boat'.. But it never sees more than 2500 RPM, and 6 knots... :wink:

There are a couple of shots in the powerplant area of the photos of it just before it got all cinched down...

Planetwarmer
02-20-2009, 03:25 AM
I hate to be the one to break this to you after all of that beautiful work, but you mounted your motor backwards!:bonk::nilly:

I thought about not saying that I was kidding, but someone would think I am serious. Just kidding, looks great.:boat:

RedDog
02-20-2009, 07:56 AM
... Things I might have missed?
Thanks!
Garry

You're going to need a battery :wink::wink::wink:

Looks great!