PDA

View Full Version : A chip in the boat

dolens
02-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Just had a quick question about a chip in the boat. When we were test driving the boat, the Marina salesman was driving the boat onto the trailer and I believe he hit the roller to hard. I noticed a chip out of the gel coat taken out of the front of the boat. Its about 2 inches in length and maybe a half an inch wide. How easy or hard is this to repair. Ive put a red square around the part that got damaged. This happened on the white part, not the blue, however it looks like it might be blue underneath.

Thanks

Ill post a pic as soon as I can .

MOP
02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Fairly easy fix that they should take care of, also lower the winch stand down until it comes in contact with the roller when winched in tight. that help to stop the boat from trying to shift forward on the trailer.

Phil

dolens
02-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks. They would have taken care of it, but I would have had to leave the boat in Massachusetts and I was bringing it back that day. I live in New Jersey, so Ill have to find someone here to fix it. I was just curious how hard that is to repair, and if it would be noticeable after its fixed.

CHACHI
02-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Get a hold of Mini craft in Florida. G. Carter can hook you up with an address or do a serch on the boards.
They make a gel paste that works very well. Tell them the color and you are good to go.

If the chip involves the bow eye, crawl under the deck to remove it and fill the chip.

Ken

gcarter
02-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Get a hold of Mini craft in Florida. G. Carter can hook you up with an address or do a serch on the boards.
They make a gel paste that works very well. Tell them the color and you are good to go.

If the chip involves the bow eye, crawl under the deck to remove it and fill the chip.

Ken
Yep, it's a way you can do it yourself.
Here's the link;
https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm
What you're looking for is the "Patch Paste" to match your color. Get it w/wax already mixed in.
The key to doing this repair is to over fill the chipped area as the paste shrinks alot. After giving the paste plenty of time to harden, wash it with acetone to remove the wax and inhibited gel (paste).
Cut a piece of a wooden stir stick about 1" long. Tear a long strip of course paper and wrap it around the small piece of stir stick. Very carefully start sanding the paste until it at or near the surface. Do not allow the course paper to touch the original surface, only the paste.
After you've cut the paste to the original surface, use ever finer paper until you can polish the surface.
It's amazing how well this product works.

dolens
02-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks, gcarter & MINXGUY, Ill check them out. It doesn't sound too difficult to do.

On the front and sides of the boat where the big blue stripe and the little blue stripe are, there's a white stripe in the middle, is that white stripe all gel coat or is it vinyl? I will get a picture taken this weekend of the area and post it.

Air 22
02-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Here's the link;
What you're looking for is the "Patch Paste" to match your color. Get it w/wax already mixed in.
The key to doing this repair is to over fill the chipped area as the paste shrinks alot. After giving the paste plenty of time to harden, wash it with acetone to remove the wax and inhibited gel (paste).
Cut a piece of a wooden stir stick about 1" long. Tear a long strip of course paper and wrap it around the small piece of stir stick. Very carefully start sanding the paste until it at or near the surface. Do not allow the course paper to touch the original surface, only the paste.
After you've cut the paste to the original surface, use ever finer paper until you can polish the surface.

George..that's great info....:wink::yes:

CHACHI
02-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Here's the link;

I have also used artificial fingernail files/sanding boards. They come in different grits and are already bonded to a board. When a portion of the board gets full you and cut it off with a pair of good scissors and start new.

Ken

chappy
02-20-2009, 08:37 AM
George..that's great info....:wink::yes:

Agreed. I've got a couple of small chips I'd like to fill in, now I know how.

Christian
02-21-2009, 10:15 AM
We are in South NJ and can accomplish any size repair and we own donzis

brwn234
05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
How well does the color match? I've got a few screw holes in my bilge and a couple nicks on the deck and hull I want to fix them myself but am worried about mixing the gel to match. Will this work below the waterline? What product should i get from Minicraft, the paste or the aeresol spray? Should I fill the holes with resin first?

dolens
05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
I still haven't tried this yet. Ive been lasy since I got in the water.