PDA

View Full Version : carpet snaps?

HOWARD O
02-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Got my new carpet today from Bilt-Rite. Looks beautiful, haven't "tried it on" yet, have to wait until the mechanicals are done to the boat first! Bummer was that Bob's embroiderer's machine was broken and couldn't afford to fix, so I went sans logo. Carpet looks beautiful though, got the pedestal slits and a seperate piece for the cooler hatch.

What about snaps? Old carpet had snaps and the bases are still in the cockpit floor, but given the tool is some big commercially expensive thing, I am wondering if I need the snaps at all? I guess I could line up to the bases and make holes in the carpet then take to an upholstery shop and let them do it.

So, snaps or no snaps?

Trueser
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Bring the carpet along to AOTH and I will bring the tool. And snaps.

:nilly:

HOWARD O
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Snaps for sure. All you need are a couple of these little snap kits that you get at Boater's World or other boating supply stores. It's real easy.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=376475&postcount=77

Oh yeah, I've seen those kits many times. Wasn't sure if it'd work on the thick carpet though. I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

HOWARD O
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Bring the carpet along to AOTH and I will bring the tool. And snaps.

:nilly:

I really can't go to AOTH without my boat! :confused:

Need to either do some work on the trailer or get a new one.....oh, and I need to GET THE BOAT RUNNING RIGHT first too! :lol9:

But ya never know......... :yes:

knots2u
02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Maybe one snap on the hatch piece, or use some of the velcro, you won't need anything on the main piece. I included the velcro for the flaps into the forward area.

Bob

Ranman
02-18-2009, 10:08 PM
The insxpensive snap kits suck azz. Don't waste your time. I have the commercial tool with dies for both regular snaps and lift-the-dots. I bought a replacement carpet from Bob as well and added snaps to the cooler cover and the ones in the back. I never put back the snaps in the front and all is well.

I could probably "rent" you the tool if you like. I'm sure Truesdale has the same one too. Let me know if you need it.

HOWARD O
02-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Bob, thank you........I thought that white strip was some kind of packing material! I get it now! I am going to give your way a whirl, it'll probably stay just fine.

Thanks Ranman!! Great offer and if it doesn't stay put, I just might take you up on that offer! :yes:

Carpet looks great, Bob. It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway.......you do very nice work! :worthy:

Oh, and finished much faster than promised too! Forgot to mention, I was so surprised that it arrived already!

MOP
02-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Bob made my new carpet, it fits so well it does not need snaps.

VetteLT193
02-19-2009, 07:37 AM
The cockpit floor is so tight, and I think you have the square based pedestals. The carpet won't go anywhere without the snaps.

I removed all the snap bases when I had my boat painted. One less thing to clean around and stub my toe on. :bonk:

jimishooch
02-19-2009, 07:48 AM
you won't need to snap.....

HOWARD O
02-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, no snaps then! I am going to put it in and take the 1st mate for her maiden voyage tomorrow! :eek:

HOWARD O
02-19-2009, 08:53 PM
The cockpit floor is so tight, and I think you have the square based pedestals. The carpet won't go anywhere without the snaps.
I removed all the snap bases when I had my boat painted. One less thing to clean around and stub my toe on. :bonk:

They are the square pedestals......I don't believe it'll go anywhere either.

Tim Morris
02-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, no snaps then! I am going to put it in and take the 1st mate for her maiden voyage tomorrow! :eek:

I got Bob's "60mph carpet" a couple of years back. At the time, when I asked him about quality choice he talked about this weight. Lay it on the deck and
take a run at 60mph and see if it moves.

Hell, if it won't move there, it surely is not gonna come flyin' out of the co_kpit!

I have the square pedestal seats in the Minx too, everything stays in place.

BigGrizzly
02-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Howard that is "The First and ONLY MATE" get it right will you:yes::yes::yes: