PDA

View Full Version : X18

72x2
02-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Does anyone know if there is someone making the raised rear hatch for the x18.
Thanks

chappy
02-18-2009, 02:50 PM
That's a tough one, possibly reach out to Lenny on the board, I believe he made (is making?) one. I think it's very time consuming to say the least. Good luck.

Lenny
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
I have the mold ( a mold) for it. BUT...

They all started out the same in the beginning, but at the same time, all these boats flex and settle and lose some deck crown and definately hatch crown. Be it a coring issue or heavy weight, whatever. The mold I have is from a boat that suffered from this as well so the "crown" will not be the same as yours. Close, but not shiny penny new X-18 1973 showroom floor "new". If you have your old one available it will look better on your hull if you pull a mold from it.

In my opinion.

72x2
02-18-2009, 04:57 PM
I wanted the raised hatch. I can repair mine but it will be alot of work. The core is shot about half way. It had a small vent I guess to get better air flow. That abortion trashed the balsa core in the front. I cut out the bad core but I was trying to save some time.
Any idea on how to make the raised hatch?

Lenny
02-18-2009, 09:11 PM
IF you want the original, it is available as a part (to be copied) from Poodle and Christian has them also. If you are talking X-18, and NOT a TRS boat which in '72 I believe was NOT, you don't need the scoop. Put a chunk of putty on top of the flame arrestor and close the hatch. Open it and see how thick it is. It will probably be about 5/8" at worst (transom end).

With stock X dimension there is no reason for all that stuff if you do not have the TRS.

IMO :D