PDA

View Full Version : WTH Weasel...

Rootsy
02-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Don't you Wyomingites like the rest of us anymore? So much for seeing Yellowstone anytime soon...

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous
statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.
Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.

http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/CWP.html

Ghost
02-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Don't you Wyomingites like the rest of us anymore? So much for seeing Yellowstone anytime soon...

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous
statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.
Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts and Utah.

Nice. BTW, MD concealed carry permits are a lot like unicorns.

Donziweasel
02-18-2009, 10:57 AM
Damn, had no idea. Just wait. Wyomingites are very partial to thier guns and the agreements we have with other states. People here will be PISSED! I am betting the law doesn't hold up for very long once it gets out.

BTW, Yellowstone is a different animal. Federal lands. I believe, even concealed permit holders, have to have the gun unloaded and cased in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. Bummer, kinda screws up the Grizzly Bear and Bald Eagle Hunting.:bonk:

Rootsy
02-18-2009, 11:08 AM
BTW, Yellowstone is a different animal. Federal lands. I believe, even concealed permit holders, have to have the gun unloaded and cased in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park. Bummer, kinda screws up the Grizzly Bear and Bald Eagle Hunting.:bonk:

Not anymore... As of 1/9/2009 the concealed carry ban in national parks reversal officially went into effect after more than a year of work to rescind the ban. Bush signed it into law in October, 90 days later it went into effect... Thus, If you are a concealed weapons permit holder and the state you happen to be in, recognizes your permit as legitimate within that state, you may carry concealed in any federal (National) park within that state.

zelatore
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM

I heard they were going to allow you to carry for hunting Grizzlys and Bald Eagles, but you were only allowed a max of .22 for the bears/.177 for the birds, single shot, and no more than a 3" barrel.

They sorta figured if you were stupid enough to take on a grizzly like that you deserved what you got, and if you were good enough to get the bird you deserve some sort of trophy.

gcarter
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I heard they were going to allow you to carry for hunting Grizzlys and Bald Eagles, but you were only allowed a max of .22 for the bears/.177 for the birds, single shot, and no more than a 3" barrel.

They sorta figured if you were stupid enough to take on a grizzly like that you deserved what you got, and if you were good enough to get the bird you deserve some sort of trophy.

Yeah Don, ya wait till the Grizzley's breath is about to knock ya over then shoot between the eyes. LOL

boxy
02-18-2009, 12:24 PM
statutes do not.

Rootsy, this seems to be more of a problem with the way your State issues permits as opposed to how Wyoming recognizes them.

Rootsy
02-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Rootsy, this seems to be more of a problem with the way your State issues permits as opposed to how Wyoming recognizes them.

Yes, I understand that... Wyoming is taking the Kalifornia road. They have effectively told 40 other states to pound sand on reciprocity. 48 states have concealed carry laws... Only Illinois and Wisconsin do not.

Donziweasel
02-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I wonder if Wyoming is only accepting other states that have similar laws. What if a State has stricter laws?

Jamie, I looked at Michigan Laws and from what I remember, they were pretty damn close to Wyoming. It was a reciprical state until this new law. I wonder what the major difference is?

Funny thing about Wyoming. You need a concealed permit if your gun is concealed. That being said, anyone can walk around with a six shooter on thier hip in plain view. Many cowboys actually do, although not as many as when i first moved here. This is still the wild west.....

So, when you are here visiting Yellowstone Jamie with Patti, just wear it on your hip. Hell, I can even lend you one.......:bonk:

Rootsy
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
OC is perfectly legal in Michigan also. Just not widely done because of the hassle from the frightened sheeple. It is gaining traction though and some municipalities have had to choke on their wool. Pre-emption can be a wonderful thing.

The reason for the change in Wyoming law, as I understand it, is because many states will grant a CPL even if you have had past drug related offenses... (ie being busted with some pot 20 years ago in college). Wyoming is a one strike and you're out state on this issue as far as concealed carry is concerned.

List of Michigan's CPL disqualifiers... which apparently are not stringent enough for Wyoming...

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-012_7736_7.pdf

available at your local library or on the Internet at: http://www.michigan.gov/msp. A copy of the firearms laws of this state shall be furnished upon filing an application.

REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE

State Requirements

1. 21 years of age or older
2. Citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States
3. Resident of Michigan for not less than six months
4. Successful completion of a pistol safety training course
5. Not subject to an order or disposition for any of the following:

Mental health order
Legally incapacitated
Involuntary hospitalization
Found not guilty by reason of insanity

6. Not subject to a conditional bond release where firearm possession is prohibited
7. Not subject to a Personal Protection Order
8. Not prohibited by MCL 750.224f (felon in possession of a firearm)
9. Has never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere
10. Has no felony charge pending in Michigan or elsewhere
11. Has not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces
12. Has not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Failing to stop when involved in a personal injury accident, MCL 257.617a
Operating while intoxicated, second offense, MCL 257.625, punishable as provided in subsection (9)(b)
Drunk driving, commercial vehicle, MCL 257.625m punishable under subsection (4) of that section
Reckless driving, MCL 257.626
Driving while license suspended or revoked, MCL 257.904 punishable as a second or subsequent offense.
Operating aircraft while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance with prior conviction, MCL 259.185
Hindering or obstructing certain persons performing official weights and measures duties, MCL 290.629
Hindering, obstructing, assaulting, or committing bodily injury upon director or authorized representative, MCL 290.650
Operating ORV under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, second or subsequent offense, MCL 324.81134, punishable under subsection (5) or (6) of that section
Operating a snowmobile under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, MCL 324.82127 punishable as a second or subsequent offense under section 82128(1)(b) or (c) of the natural resources and environmental protection act, 1994 PA 451, MCL324.82128.
Operating vessel under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, second or subsequent offense). 324.80176 punishable under section 80177(1)(b)
Knowingly or intentionally possessing controlled substance, controlled substance analogue, or prescription form, MCL 333.7403.
Operating locomotive under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, or while visibly impaired, MCL 462.353 punishable under subsection (4) of that section.
Displaying sexually explicit matter to minors, MCL 722.677
Assault or domestic assault, MCL 750.81
Aggravated assault or aggravated domestic assault, MCL 750.81a
Entering without breaking, MCL 750.115
Fourth degree child abuse, MCL 750.136b
Accosting, enticing, or soliciting a child for immoral purposes, MCL 750.145a
Vulnerable adult abuse, MCL 750.145n
Solicitation to commit a felony, MCL 750.157b
Impersonating peace officer or medical examiner, MCL 750.215
Illegal sale of a firearm or ammunition, MCL 750.223
Illegal sale of a self-defense spray, MCL 750.224d
Sale or possession of a switchblade, MCL 750.226a
Improper transportation of a loaded firearm, MCL 750.227c
Failure to have a pistol inspected, MCL 750.228
Accepting a pistol in pawn, MCL 750.229
Failure to register the purchase of a firearm or a firearm component, MCL 750.232
Improperly obtaining a pistol, making a false statement on an application to purchase a pistol, or using false Identification to purchase a pistol, MCL 750.232a
RI-012 (1/07) - Instructions 2
Intentionally aiming a firearm without malice, MCL 750.233
Intentionally discharging a firearm aimed without malice, MCL 750.234
Possessing a firearm on prohibited premises, MCL 750.234d
Brandishing a firearm in public, MCL 750.234e
Possession of a firearm by an individual less than 18 years of age, MCL 750.234f
Intentionally discharging a firearm aimed without malice causing injury, MCL 750.235
Parent of a minor who possessed a firearm in a weapon free school zone, MCL 750.235a
Setting a spring gun or other device, MCL 750.236
Possessing a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a drug, MCL 750.237
Weapon free school zone violation, MCL 750.237a
Indecent exposure, MCL 750.335a
Stalking, MCL 750.411h
Reckless, careless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in injury or death, MCL 752.861
Careless, reckless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in property damage, MCL 752.862
Reckless discharge of a firearm, MCL 752.863a
Violation of a law of the United States, another state, or a local unit of government of this state or another state substantially corresponding to a violation described above

13. Has not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Operating under the influence, MCL 257.625
Refusal of commercial vehicle driver to submit to a chemical test, MCL 257.625a
Negligently fails to comply, MCL 257.625k
Circumventing an ignition interlocking device, MCL 257.625l
Operating a commercial vehicle with alcohol content, MCL 257.625m, punishable under subsection (3) of that section
Operating aircraft under the influence, MCL 259.185
Operating ORV under the influence, MCL 324.81134
Operating ORV while visibly impaired, MCL 324.81135
Operating a snowmobile under the influence, MCL 324.82127
Controlled substances, MCL 333.7401 to 333.7461
Operating locomotive under the influence, MCL 462.353 punishable under subsection (3) of that section.
Disorderly person, MCL 750.167
Embezzlement, MCL 750.174
False pretenses, MCL 750.218
Larceny, MCL 750.356
Retail fraud, MCL 750.356d
Larceny-vacant building, MCL 750.359
Larceny by conversion, MCL 750.362
Defrauding lessor, MCL 750.362a
Malicious destruction of property, MCL 750.377a
Malicious destruction of real property, MCL 750.380
Failure to obey police direction, MCL 750.479a
Receiving stolen property, MCL 750.535
Malicious use of telephones, MCL 750.540e
Violation of a law of the United States, another state, or a local unit of government of this state or another state substantially corresponding to a violation described above

14. The applicant has not been found guilty but mentally ill of any crime and has not offered a plea of not guilty of, or been acquitted of, any crime by reason of insanity.
15. The applicant has never been subject to an order of involuntary commitment due to a mental illness.
16. The applicant does not have a diagnosed mental illness at the time the application is made regardless of whether he or she is receiving treatment.
17. The applicant is not under a court order of legal incapacity in this state or elsewhere.

Federal Requirements

1. Not convicted in any court of, or under indictment for, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year (i.e. felony, or any misdemeanor punishable by more than 2 years)
2. Not a fugitive of justice
3. Not an unlawful user of, or addicted to, any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802))
4. Not adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution
5. Not an alien who is illegally or unlawfully in the United States
6. Not discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
7. Not renounced his/her citizenship
RI-012 (1/07) - Instructions 3
8. Not subject to a court order prohibiting harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner or from engaging in other conduct that would place the partner or child in reasonable fear of bodily injury
9. Not convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
(See misdemeanor crimes above. The applicant is prohibited for the time periods designated in the misdemeanors above that have the element of domestic violence; i.e. 3 or 8 years.)

Donziweasel
02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
As a concealed weapons permit holder, I am sure they will send me something eventually about the changes. When permit holders are contacted, there will be fallout and I am betting the new regulations will be modified.

Rootsy
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I venture to bet that every state that Wyoming tossed in the trash can will turn around and revoke Wyoming resident reciprocity. Therefore Wyoming residents will only end up with reciprocity in 8 states.

I will be writing my state representative as well as the Michigan AG to urge that they revoke Wyoming's reciprocity. We may only lose one state but Wyoming residents are going to lose a whole bunch...

RedDog
02-18-2009, 01:44 PM
As a concealed weapons permit holder, I am sure they will send me something eventually about the changes. When permit holders are contacted, there will be fallout and I am betting the new regulations will be modified.

I doubt you will be notified since as a resident you are not affected.

Regarding open carry in the national park - I don't think the new regulations will permit that. I think the wording in the rule making was somewhat hosed. If you have a permit, you can't carry in the open. If you have a permit, you have to carry concealed. If you don't have a permit, you can't carry period.

Another point. If you have a permit, you still cannot carry in to the visor's center or a ranger's office - they are federal buildings and still restricted under other federal regulations.

Donziweasel
02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
I care only in the fact that my concealed permit is being restricted. I never carry a firearm in Yellowstone or Grand Teton due to the BS involved. I know people who have gotten in trouble, one big time, and it just isn't worth the hassles.

I have never carried a firearm out of Wyoming. Would like to have to option of more states than just 8 if I do.

Jamie, I agree 100%, get Michigan to drop Wyoming. Enough states drop Wyoming, I bet things will change.

RedDog
02-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Cool, so since I have a CWP, I can now go snake hunting in Everglades NP.. :) :)

Only if those "snakes" are the 2 legged criminal kind - you'll have to piss them off first to make it a defensive shoot...