PDA

View Full Version : My encounter w/a buzzard.....

gcarter
02-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Yesterday on the way to work, I had a very close encounter w/ a very large buzzard of the impact kind.
I was southbound on US 441 on the inside lane when I spotted the said buzzard standing about 3' in the median. The dumb bird decided at that moment to take off. It just got to the height of my left mirror when I impacted it on my mirror @ about 60 MPH.
You wouldn't believe what a loud bang it made.
I could see in the rear view mirror that the bird was dead, and I could also see the mirror hanging by the wires. Just a few scratches and a small dent was the only damage to the truck.
The real kicker is that the mirror retails for about $500.00 plus the paint on the forward cap.
The good news is that my comprehensive insurance is covering it.

gold-n-rod
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm calling PETA......................

You insenstive buzzard killer. :confused:

Trueser
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
George,
I hear they taste like chicken.

You should have cleaned it.

RedDog
02-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Aren't they federally protected - I'd be quite about this

Barry Eller
02-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey George! If you remember back in November 08, when Denise and I were heading to Crystal River, we hit the deer on I-10. $3700.00 damage to the Caddy! And the damn deer got up and ran off! Like Denise would have let me field dress and put the deer in her car!

There are SO MANY buzzards in your area, I'm sure it is common to have "Buzzard Road-kills" occurring all the time.

VetteLT193
02-18-2009, 08:44 AM
What the heck is going on with the birds these days?

Sam
02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
George,
I hear they taste like chicken.

You should have cleaned it.

LMAO...... great another "kill it and grill it" advocate, pass the salt please :kingme:.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-18-2009, 10:28 AM
You wouldn't believe what a loud bang it made.
The good news is that my comprehensive insurance is covering it.

George,
Two evenings ago at dusk, I hit a big bird driving home in my fiance's Landcruiser. I couldn't see what type it was, but the impact on the windshield was awesome sounding. Thankfully, it did not break the windshield.
Do you have a zero deductable policy with your insurance company? Bill

roadtrip se
02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
I have a habit of tearing mirrors off the Excursion for some reason, with the latest one being consumed by a pine tree.

Telescoping, heated, integrated turn signal, with two mirrors, no paint. Cost me $199 and I had it on in about ten minutes.

As for road kill, I say hit hard and make sure it is dead. Jill has put flat spots on all four tires trying to avoid a field mouse, so they better hope she is behind the wheel when they try their luck. The deer are thick where we live, so we are always on the look-out.

Now for critter recipes, you ever tried smoked squirrel? Tree rat couldn't taste better. Cayenne rub is the secret.

BUIZILLA
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Jill has put flat spots on all four tires trying to avoid a field mouse, how do you do that with live ABS ? :confused:

roadtrip se
02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
and a tool box all over the bed of the dually we had to pull the offshores.

I exaggerate of course, but I told her afterwards that the little field mouse probably got picked up by a hawk within minutes of living to see another day.

TV dinner was great that night. And the night after....

gcarter
02-18-2009, 11:59 AM
George,
Two evenings ago at dusk, I hit a big bird driving home in my fiance's Landcruiser. I couldn't see what type it was, but the impact on the windshield was awesome sounding. Thankfully, it did not break the windshield.
Do you have a zero deductable policy with your insurance company? Bill
Yep, zero deductable on that part of the comprehensive coverage.