PDA

View Full Version : Dana Shifter Issues?

Boiler56
02-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I know a few of you have installed these two stick shifters from Dana. Is it really as simple as advertised? I've got a '97 22ZX 454 Mag. Any suggestions before starting?
Thanks in advance

fogducker III
02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
NOT trying to be a smart ass, but read the instructions first, twice.........

I found Dana stuff has good instructions. Make sure you have the right tools, space to work and good light.

Not sure what you have there now? But usually it is a straight forward install, I think the kit comes with shift and throttle cable ends depending on what was originally installed?

Personally, I find if I just take my time after reading the instructions and think twice before cutting, drilling or making ANY changes, it usually works out, good luck with the install...:popcorn:

HOWARD O
02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
That is a very cool looking shifter.....I really like the 2 sticks. :yes:

Donzi LG
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
I had mine installed last summer and can't say enough about this shifter, a vast improvement over the stock unit. I needed new cables with my setup but other than that I think the installation went smoothly. I had the local performance boat gurus handle it :).

MDonziM
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
I know a few of you have installed these two stick shifters from Dana. Is it really as simple as advertised? I've got a '97 22ZX 454 Mag. Any suggestions before starting?
Thanks in advance

I replaced the circa 1994 quicksilver 2000 (I think) shift/throttle on my 22c last summer. Ultimately, I really like the dana but my cables did not have notched or grooved ends to be secured in the throttle housing. Dana might offer different cable clamp parts, I dont know. The wiring was strait foward. I dont know what your access is like on the zx, I have the removeable panel which was easy.
You will love it when your done. - mm

Mr X
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I love mine, funny.......mine came with no instructions what so ever.

zimm17
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Mine is awesome. Easy install. I used stainless t-bolts for the backs so I can easily remove and re-install the unit to adjust the friction.

Lenny
02-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Why do you guys like two handles that have singles ???

Isn't there enough going on at the dock, docking, getting gas, idiots beside you, etc etc etc that the single is fine ???

zimm17
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
Why do you guys like two handles that have singles ???

Isn't there enough going on at the dock, docking, getting gas, idiots beside you, etc etc etc that the single is fine ???

Much easier to rev engine in neutral. Easier to start because you can pump the throttle without having to pull a single lever out then forward. Full throw of throttle is dedicated to one direction- single lever only gives you half throw. I think it's easier to use...

mjw930
02-18-2009, 08:15 AM
I find the duals to be a lot easier to use in docking situations, especially if you have a motor with a big cam or a blower as you can keep the revs up by setting the throttle then bump it in and out of gear with the shift lever.

Most of the trouble I see people get into around the dock or on the ramp is caused by dropping the boat into gear too fast so they get the gear and a momentary bump in RPM's. With a dual system that's never a problem.

I've had both and I prefer the dual setup. On boats with large pitch props there's usually no reason to increase RPM, most of the time you are simply bumping it in and out of gear.

VetteLT193
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
I have a hell of a time with the all in one unit. As lenny said, there is a lot going on. I don't want to think about how far to move the lever. All the way forward or all the way back = simple operation. I leave the throttle un-touched unless I really have to back up or the wind is whipping.

Oddly enough, I've been more successful with all in one units on twin engine boats... it's easier because everything is slower and there is no steering wheel involved, and I only have 2 hands.

Higher end Sportfishing boats tend to migrate back to the all-in-one style.

hot shot
02-18-2009, 08:58 AM
livorsi make a that dana style shifter and has the trim and tab buttons both on the throttle... pretty cool deal

glashole
02-18-2009, 09:01 AM
must be a canadian thing because i am with lenny, single seems much less complicated in a tight situation

Ed Donnelly
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
3 rd Canadian to agree with single:cool!:...Ed

Boiler56
02-19-2009, 06:09 PM
I drove my brother's 28 Velocity that has a two stick set up, Livorsi I think. I like the way it feels, and I think it adds a little style to the helm area.

Did everyone here buy theirs directly from Dana?

BUIZILLA
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
one engine.. one stick

two engine.. two sticks..

Donzi LG
02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Did everyone here buy theirs directly from Dana?

Yes, got mine directly from them. Came with full color install instructions.

CHACHI
02-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Docking.................the marital stress zone................I will stay with a single stick.

Ken

fasttrucker
02-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I like the double stick.This is on my to do list!