PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Harley Ford F-350 ...turbos...

Lenny
02-17-2009, 10:06 AM
A buddy of mine has now gone through 2 (two) turbos on his 05 HD. Short of a lift kit and taller tires it is bone stock. No chipset, stock.

Is this a common occurance with this breed? and if so, aren't the new trucks TWIN turbo :eek: ?

CJmike
02-17-2009, 10:37 AM
6.0 liter powerstrokes have tons of problems. Turbo's and headgaskets being the two most common. 6.0 liter powerstroke is the reason I drive a chevy duramax. Loved my Ford 7.3 diesel but the 6.0 just had to many problems.

fogducker III
02-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Most of our fleet trucks are those motors Lenny, NOTHING but problems, we are blowing a turbo once a month.....:garfield:

mrfixxall
02-17-2009, 11:09 AM
A buddy of mine has now gone through 2 (two) turbos on his 05 HD. Short of a lift kit and taller tires it is bone stock. No chipset, stock.

Is this a common occurance with this breed? and if so, aren't the new trucks TWIN turbo :eek: ?

Tell your buddy to switch to a synthetic diesel oil,5w40 mobile 1 delvac or shell rotella 5w40..the cold weather kills them.

If he is going to chip it he needs to replace the head bolts with studs then he wont have head gasket problems.

need for speed
02-18-2009, 09:21 PM
05 HD truck here with 65k miles on it no issues.:popcorn:

Lenny
02-18-2009, 09:42 PM
05 HD truck here with 65k miles on it no issues.:popcorn:

65K ??? Are you using Metric (K) to describe 1000 ???

WOW... is that allowed here ???

:D Oh right, you came from here :)

need for speed
02-19-2009, 06:32 AM
it's my Canadian side!

Donziweasel
02-19-2009, 06:57 AM
6.0's had other problems than Turbos, many other. When my fleet of them hit 100,000 miles, they all had to have injectors replaced and oil pumps replaced. About 5,000.00 per engine. Biggest problem with the injectors is the three micro screens in them that would get clogged. Then they would side load.

The 6.0 also has a very high pressure oil system and blew oil pumps all the time. A few of mine had tubro issues also.

The key to keeping them running right is maintenence. Change oil every 3000 miles.

New 6.4 got away from the hih pressure systems, faulty turbos and bad injectors. Seem to run much better.

HOWARD O
02-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I know about the 6.0's all too well. Let's see.....I bought the truck brand new, it was an early '03 model. Ran like a raped ape, really fast. Also had a great tow/haul feature that when in tow mode, would actually chirp the tires downshifting into 1st gear when empty. That was a big selling point to me especially towing my heavy fishing boat, as was the pilot injection feature which made it super quiet.....well, pretty quiet, not Duramax quiet.

So, what did they do? I had one injector go bad and they reflashed the truck while it was there with their "new" strategy. Gone was the aggressive tow/haul feature because the women going to the store didn't like the harsh downshifts.....why they were in tow mode, who knows, but it was a "safety issue". Next thing they neutered was the nice, quiet pilot injection......because it wreaked havoc on the injectors.

Oh, by the way, they soon came out with a new injector soon after, dubbed the C95. That's what mine has in it. BUT ONLY ONE OF THEM! They refused to replace all the old style injectors but will replace them one by one if they fail! Sumbitches......

Having said that, my truck has been the most dependable, reliable vehicle I've ever heard of. Haven't had any more injectors fail, it is very, very fast since I've run an SCT tuner and 4" exhaust on it for the last 60k miles and doesn't even have any rattles after 123k miles! I don't think I'll ever get rid of it, it's the go-to vehicle in our family when we go somewhere and my wife has a 540i.

6.0's had their share of problems. I have heard the nickname "snowflake" because every single one is different. Just glad I got a good one! If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it but grateful that I did! :yes:

Ghost
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
The whole "cab removal" thing scared me...