PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber trim tabs

Planetwarmer
02-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Is there a reason as to why no one runs carbon fiber trim tabs?

Lenny
02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
...tensile strength...

Planetwarmer
02-16-2009, 01:34 AM
You could do a carbon fiber with a wood or aluminum core and use Ti attachment points bonded in.

Surely if Boeing makes planes out of carbon, and Porsche makes rotors out of carbon, trim tabs would be no problem.

As a matter of fact, my friend did some tabs for (I may be wrong but I'll say it any way) Keith E. They installed them on the Cig Playboy Edition. Don't be to hard on me if I am totally wrong.

My friend did build them, and they were used though.

Planetwarmer
02-16-2009, 01:55 AM
I did some research on the tensile strength of a few materials, this is what I found.

Structural steel ASTM A36steel - Ultimate strength = 400 MPa
Stainless Steel AISI 302 - Cold-rolled- Ultimate Strength = 860 MPa
Titanium Alloy (6% Al, 4% V) - Ultimate Strength = 900 MPa
Aluminum Alloy 2014-T6 - Ultimate Strength = 455 MPa
Carbon Fiber - Ultimate Strength = 5650 MPa

Aren't K Planes made of billet Aluminum?

There are almost endless ways to lay up carbon fiber in order to make a structural or non structural piece. You can make it as rigid and brittle as you want, or make it as flexible as you want.

gcarter
02-16-2009, 06:15 AM
It's brittle in comparison to the materials you mentioned.
I'm speaking in very general terms.

And of course, Poodle is right too.
Want some $10K tabs instead of $4K tabs?
Would there be any net gain to the boat?

gcarter
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Saw a discussion on another site about building performance boats w/all the latest materials......
The concensus was that you could build a 36'-40' hull weighing about 2000#. But it would need a bow ballast tank to add mass for wave flattening. A boat that light would be very difficult to control in rough water, i.e., it would be extremely bouyant.

I guess what I'm saying is, there wouldn't be much payback for the investment.

BigGrizzly
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Just remember tensile strength vs impact shattering vs weight. Why not save money and do them in titanium and be really cool. They could be really polished.

zelatore
02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Speaking of trim tabs makes me think of our old friend Silverback. Too bad he's not here to give his thoughts on this ever-popular topic.

Of course, he's talking about adding all sorts of weight to the rear of his boat - perhaps he needs a set made out of depleted uranium?

The Hedgehog
02-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Speaking of trim tabs makes me think of our old friend Silverback. Too bad he's not here to give his thoughts on this ever-popular topic.
Of course, he's talking about adding all sorts of weight to the rear of his boat - perhaps he needs a set made out of depleted uranium?

I was thinking a carbon fiber hull along with depleted uranium tabs. Along with a surface drive, foil and special prop. Maybe I should do a post for that and we could roll the whole balance, tabs and prop subject all up into one big 50 page arguement. Just to top it off we could get David Wade to put it together, buy some stuff from the Long Duck Dong guy on OSO with some goodies from Trick Marine. Do you think that Hot Boat would want to do a centerfold?

Where is Keith with his wit?

fast fun 2
02-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Strong and light. We use them when rigging Skaters.

Planetwarmer
02-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Just remember tensile strength vs impact shattering vs weight. Why not save money and do them in titanium and be really cool. They could be really polished.

Ti would be substantially more expensive than carbon fiber. I am not sure that you can polish Ti to a mirror finish (smooth and reflective, but not like Al or stainless).

Planetwarmer
02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Strong and light. We use them when rigging Skaters.

Do you have any pics of carbon fiber trim tabs?

gcarter
02-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Don, you're right. He'd love this.
Maybe some carbon fiber tabs, oh say, 40"-50" long.....then rivet some lead plates on the top of them.

That would be the best of all worlds...Right?

Maybe I need some education...why reduce weight in the stern?
If there was a payoff for moving tabs up and down faster and reducing mass would help move them faster, well OK. Maybe someone could even develop a propulsion system utilizing long carbon fiber tabs w/a hydraulic system from a low rider. Maybe you could even get the boat to jump all the way out of the water like the low rider cars jump off the ground.:nilly:

How cool!
Whole classes of jumping boats could be developed. Different competitions around the country could be organized.

I think we're on to something! :yes:

fogducker III
02-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Some info............. http://www.seipem.it/cataloghi_in_PDF/FLAP_Carbonio__ENG.pdf

BigGrizzly
02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I had ti rods in a race bike engine and you could see your face in then, they were made by Jet engineering. BTW what did happen to SB, he owes me$

Lenny
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
SB, he owes me$

I believe he is offshore again but without a 'puter.... Reminds me of the days of Tommy and Sofa King :D

fast fun 2
02-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Do you have any pics of carbon fiber trim tabs?
Sort of, you can kinda see them in this pic. The sticker is true btw :cool: I used to have a better one, close up of the tyab itself, but the computer crashed a few months ago. Ill do some searching.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o21/fastfun2/Kinginshopdecember070001.jpg

fast fun 2
02-17-2009, 07:07 PM
found it... http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145542&page=3 post 43

Lenny
02-18-2009, 12:13 AM
A pic for those not Registered.

Sure seems like a LOT of work for something that probably weighs the same or within a half full beer.

Nice "Bling" tho.

Not for me. To me a chunk of Aluminum or bent SS seems more than fine. :yes:

zimm17
02-18-2009, 12:30 AM
The weight reduction just isn't worth it. Now if this was on aircraft, it would be different. Or a 2000lbs race car. But you're running a 800 pound iron big block and want to save 5 pounds on multi-thousand dollar carbon tabs? Why not an aluminum block or heads instead?

fast fun 2
02-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Yup, unless you absolutely need to save some weight, Id stick with regular K-Planes. That Skater has 1300s in it. They are not light, between those and the drives that are on it we were worried that it would be Ill balanced. With the motors all the way forward it handles great and flyies level.