PDA

View Full Version : My new Classic 18

dolens
02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
After many months of looking, I came across a great Donzi. Its a 2003 with a Mercruiser 350 Magnum Alpha, 300hp. 69 original hours. Aluminum trailer, mooring cover, cockpit cover, snap-in carpet, Silent Choice exhaust, Gaffrig depthfiner, trim tabs, dual batteries, Gaffrig gauge package and Hydraulic Steering. No stereo, but I hope to add one later. I pick her up next weekend! Heres a few pics! :biggrin:

Steve

dolens
02-14-2009, 07:47 AM
enjoy.

widowmaker
02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Beautiful boat. I am partial to a blue and white combo.

Carl C
02-14-2009, 08:01 AM
That's a beauty. The dash looks just like a late model 22. There is plenty of room for a stereo in the stock location on the port side of the dash. Congrats.

osur866
02-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the 18 club. Steve

MOP
02-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Very nice and yes the color is great not that I am partial, enjoy the 18 is a sweet boat.

Phil

RedDog
02-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Sweet!
And even better, its not that common red like most Donzis :wink:

Member Non-Red Donzi Owners Club

chappy
02-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Congrats Steve. Boat looks great. Where in NJ are you planning on runnin' her?

breeze400
02-14-2009, 09:41 AM
VERY, VERY NICE!!!! I would love A ride in her! :yes::yes::yes:

Sam:cool::cool::cool:

dolens
02-14-2009, 09:43 AM
for the comments! I live on Lake Mohawk, in New jersey. We also have Lake Hopatcong, 10 minutes south of me. I'm sure Ill be taking her to Lake George as well.

breeze400
02-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Lake Goerge hmmmmm! If you ever want to come up to the big lake hear in western NY. Let me know! there are some great Beaches 45 minutes from the Great Niagra. Great ride when the lake is flat! :yes::yes::yes:

Sam:cool::cool::cool:

mattyboy
02-14-2009, 10:13 AM
congrats very nice boat, lake mohawk, hopatcong in the sparta NJ area about 45 minutes from Me over in greenwood lake I'll shoot you an email we usually try to get a run sometime during the season

now for lake george get that baby shined up ( doesn't need much work looks like a gem already) get her pointed north and come up to the dustoff on the weekend of June 12th-14th 2009 it is a great run with great people and awesome boats. there is no other gathering that spotlights the donzi classic in the nation. some of the best classic minds and classics are there that weekend trust me you won't want to miss it

for more info look in the gathering section here or check out www.lgdonziclassic.com

i am heading out on thursday the 11th and usually hook up with others on their way up so if you want to follow us up let me know probably a 4 hr trip for you across rt 80 to 287 north right up the thruway to the north way and you're there

again congrats nice find nice boat :)

dolens
02-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Mattyboy,

Sounds good, Id definitely like to make it to the dust-off. I am working that weekend, but I'm going to try and change my schedule. If worst comes to worse, Ill at least get off the weekend and come up late Friday night or Saturday morning.

As far as Greenwood, Ill pm you my email address, and you can let me know whenever you all are going out. Thanks

Steve

mattyboy
02-14-2009, 12:31 PM
we usually get a few other donzi and go fast together for a little run around greenwood lake and then a stop for lunch. my pal runs around in a small cig , who knows what i will be running . we are also trying to get a few of the challenger and superboat guys from scream and fly to come up.

yeah drop me an email and i will put you on the lake george donzi club mailing list

mnmveth@optonline.net

dolens
02-14-2009, 12:47 PM
You should have an email from me!

Steve

smokediver
02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
i have the exact boat .. you will love it !

dolens
02-14-2009, 01:35 PM
i have the exact boat .. you will love it !

Are there any differences? Can you post a few pics?

smokediver
02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
i could take a picture but it is exactly like yours ! LOL ... i will see if i can dig a few up tomorrow ... i do have a stereo and put in polk component speakers .. and a hull gaurd because i use my boat to go to the beach and i figure the 50 plus times a year i beach it it is worth it ... some guys don't like them but i sure do !:yes:

dolens
02-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Not a problem, I know sometimes there a small differences. I was just curious if there were any. Do you have the same gauges as well? I thought most Donzi's came with Livorsi.

donzi182003
02-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Dolens, congrats. I saw the boat on boattrader and considered it such a good deal I almost made an offer on it just to move it down here to South Florida. I have at least two friends who would have taken it off of my hands. I too have an 03' 18 that has brought me countless hours of fun. Enjoy!!!!

BigGrizzly
02-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Congratulations, you have now contracted an incurable disease.

Tony
02-17-2009, 08:48 PM
FWIW, here is what will probably be going into my 22' Classic:

SONY CDX-M10 MARINE STEREO
POLK AUDIO DB651 6.5" COAXIAL SPEAKERS

Two speakers and a head unit, with an external aux. jack (think iPod), for about $200 total. My use is primarily while rafted or anchored, and serving those on board my boat only. Both components have excellent reviews, and in fact I think it is someone on this registry that has them installed in their boat.

Now...if you need to play to the entire raft-up, with bay-thumping bass, four speakers + a sub, a separate amplifier, a six-disc changer, and a 4 figure+ price tag...then go for it, to each their own!

:beer:

yeller
02-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Congrats on the purchase!

Too add to Tony's remarks: Thumbs up to Polk's.

I replaced the factory speakers last year with Polk MMC650's (similiar to the DB651's. Crutchfields was $95/pr + free shipping. Best speakers I have ever heard in this price range....by far. I'm adding a couple amps and 2-10" subs to help them along. :wink:
Unfortunately, I don't think the 650's are available any more.

dolens
02-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I just got the boat home yesterday. I purchased it up near Boston, MA. And yes I considered it a great deal! I’ve been looking at classics for a few months and for an 03 with only 69 hours at that price, I snatched it up the 2nd day it was on boat trader.

My girl and I drove up Tuesday and Test drove the boat in the South River in Marshfield, MA. What a cold friggin ride! We did about 55 with 4 people in the boat, in about 31 degree weather. But being my first ride in an 18, it was a blast. I can’t wait to get it into the lake, where there's no current and see what shell do. The ride back from Marshfield sucked though. We didn't have the boat covered, which was probably a good thing, due to hitting snow and rain on the way back. Needless to say the boat was filthy when we got home. But it was easier to clean the boat, than the boat cover.

As far as a stereo goes, I’ve always liked Polk, so Ill check them out. The Ipod jack is a great idea as well. I also want satellite radio. I figure I’ve got a few months to find something. Is there a fuse box in the boat for the alternate power, so the radio isn't on the whole time?

smokediver
02-19-2009, 09:14 AM
battery switch on the firewall starboard side ... just turn it off ... :yes:

smokediver
02-19-2009, 09:17 AM
FWIW, here is what will probably be going into my 22' Classic:

SONY CDX-M10 MARINE STEREO
POLK AUDIO DB651 6.5" COAXIAL SPEAKERS

Two speakers and a head unit, with an external aux. jack (think iPod), for about $200 total. My use is primarily while rafted or anchored, and serving those on board my boat only. Both components have excellent reviews, and in fact I think it is someone on this registry that has them installed in their boat.

Now...if you need to play to the entire raft-up, with bay-thumping bass, four speakers + a sub, a separate amplifier, a six-disc changer, and a 4 figure+ price tag...then go for it, to each their own!

:beer:
i had the 651's in my 16 and they we ok but the components are way better than the extra hundred bucks they cost .. you get that rockn system you were describing without the amp and the pricetag !

dolens
02-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks like a nice stereo, but I want something with satellite built-in to where I don't need an extra unit. I dont really get any good radio stations where I live, so it will mostly be satellite and Ipod.

I found this one, that also plays DVD's, but I had no plan of installing a monitor in the boat to watch movies, so its slightly overkill

http://buymarineelectronics.com/marine_stereos/aq_dvd_3.htm