PDA

View Full Version : Stupid stupid stupid.....

harbormaster
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I had the hatch of the 22 propped open with my white trash prop stick. I was cleaning the engine compartment in preparation to complete the engine assembly and put it back in. i walked into the office to answer the phone and the wind kick up and blew the hatch backward crushing the scoop with the lift ring.....Dammit.

note to self. Put the lift tubes on each side of hatch. Does anyone know where to get the hatch hardware that has the nice shiny rectangular plates?

Also my glass guy wants to pull a mold off my hatch after the scoop is repaired. Anyone want one??? let me know. According to him, they would have to be about 650 each to cover costs.

VetteLT193
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I think if you use short screws and 5200 you can skip the backing plates all together. Even if you have to pull the hatch you can keep the rams on the hatch part.

I'd like that look a whole lot better than any kind of backing plate, shiny or not, especially with the sweet lid on your boat. and with the rams pushing up on the hatch it should never be a problem

gcarter
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Too bad Scot.

Jamie @ lakeside can supply the hardware.

Planetwarmer
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I have 1 ram under my hood. It is mounted on the port side, and has NO backing plate. I have no problems. There are 8 short stainless screws holding the plate on under the hatch.

Lenny
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I had the hatch of the 22 propped open with my white trash prop stick. I was cleaning the engine compartment in preparation to complete the engine assembly and put it back in. i walked into the office to answer the phone and the wind kick up and blew the hatch backward crushing the scoop with the lift ring.....Dammit.

note to self. Put the lift tubes on each side of hatch. Does anyone know where to get the hatch hardware that has the nice shiny rectangular plates?

Also my glass guy wants to pull a mold off my hatch after the scoop is repaired. Anyone want one??? let me know. According to him, they would have to be about 650 each to cover costs.

Why not move to somewhere that is not so windy...

:D

Planetwarmer
02-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Too bad Scot.

Jamie @ lakeside can supply the hardware.

Is the red boat in your pic the 1 that you pulled the deck off of in 04'?

You mind posting some pics? It looks like something I considered doing if I am seeing it correctly. Kind of an Ferrari F430 theme (like the new red/tan 38 ZR comp)?

gcarter
02-12-2009, 05:35 AM
Is the red boat in your pic the 1 that you pulled the deck off of in 04'?

You mind posting some pics? It looks like something I considered doing if I am seeing it correctly. Kind of an Ferrari F430 theme (like the new red/tan 38 ZR comp)?

It was in '07 and it's the same....just going way past what any sane person would do.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=493900#post493900

The avatar pic is a similar Testa Rossa for sale in California.

mrfixxall
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Scott, the last time i inquired about those plates was through donzi.. They wanted 80 bucks apiece for them.. So i took upon myself with my Tig and made some out of stainless..

p.s. the ones they had were crome plated..

justleft
02-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Ouch, almost had the same thing but luckly I able to grab hatch.
Almost yanked me out of the engine bay !!!

Now I stetch a fat bungy cord between the hatch and deck.

This also keeps me from knocking the pole out when I am moving around in the bay.
It really got my attention when the hatch came flying down at great speed !!!!
Luckly (again) I took it on the shoulder and back and didn't have any figures, toes, or other things in the seam. :eek:

HOWARD O
02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I almost did this yesterday. I was working on the boat and left to grab a tool. Then I noticed the time, had to pick kid up from school. It started to get windy and I couldn't get home quick enough.....got lucky this time. I need the struts too. I was thinking all the way home how stupid it was.......

Planetwarmer
02-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Here is how my ram-rod is attached.:) Sorry, I'm doin a little "drunk replyin". I need to powder coat the bracket though, it's a little rusty!

MOP
02-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Scot I feel for you but I know you will make it better. I nearly lost mine just after I bought the boat I grabbed it just in time, I now use one of those knarly black rubber bungee's to keep the rod firmly seated.

Phil

DonziDan16
02-15-2009, 12:09 PM
I've had too many close calls and usually just end up taking the entire hatch off. A bit of work for one person though.

My dad was out on the river with a friend one time. They stopped and the friend got something out of the engine compartment...they started going again and guess what pops open and gets blows off its hinges:nilly: Someone forgot to turn the latch:bonk:

BigGrizzly
02-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Scott, I made mine with some stainless plates from West Marine about 1 X 6 or stainless U bolt clamps and cut then in half then used 1/4 stainless carriage bolts, Of course I polished them, and put them on the Criterion.

Planetwarmer
02-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Here is how my ram-rod is attached.:) Sorry, I'm doin a little "drunk replyin". I need to powder coat the bracket though, it's a little rusty!

Does anyone have any idea as to what the two pieces that are glassed in on the under side of my hatch are and why they are there? They look factory.

gcarter
02-16-2009, 06:22 AM
They are the mounting pads for the factory prop rod. The one nearer the fwd edge of the hatch was for mounting the rod....just an eyelet w/two screws. The one furthest aft was for a hook the other end of the rod rode in. I still have my original if you want it.

cimm
12-20-2010, 03:26 PM
They are the mounting pads for the factory prop rod. The one nearer the fwd edge of the hatch was for mounting the rod....just an eyelet w/two screws. The one furthest aft was for a hook the other end of the rod rode in. I still have my original if you want it.

Hi George. I know this is a very old post and it is probably a long shot BUT do you still have the factory prop rod in the above post? If so do you have any pictures? I am interested in it.
Thanks,
Chuck