PDA

View Full Version : the news from the miami boat show

mattyboy
02-11-2009, 08:11 AM
so some pics are rolling in on other sites some really wild awesome looking boats

someone is making a STATEMENT awesome

looks like the new fountains are beekless

someone has a LOONEY TOONS boat th th th that's all folks

SKATER yeah baby!!!

some one has a 28 foot ish deep vee no steps black an white OB looks very classic

so where are the jimmy olsens from this board ;)

so what is the big news out the Donzi camp

;) :)

BUIZILLA
02-11-2009, 08:29 AM
http://mms.nextel.com/mms/anon/mediaproxy/awGVCRMMDDgru9pL/legacyInbox/145513053456458v9xz9vMPXEMPXE40messaging.nextel.co m-slide-0-image.xcode.jpghttp://mms.nextel.com/mms/anon/mediaproxy/awGVCRMMDDgru9pL/legacyInbox/195513053456458e9ca7nMPXEMPXE40messaging.nextel.co m-slide-0-image.xcode.jpg

mattyboy
02-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Poodle,

sorry I know someone has to work i had today off

some of the boats just look outrageous

would like to see a few of the new 27zr when you get a moment ;)

does the big blue fountain have a small beek??? I couldn't tell from the pics

mattyboy
02-11-2009, 08:28 PM
ok but keep those cards and letters coming :)

nice pics

THANKS from those who are still ice and snow bound

penbroke
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks Scott!

Frank :)

gcarter
02-11-2009, 08:36 PM
I really like the "trompe 'loeal" (sp?) in the Looney Tunes engine room. :wink:

VetteLT193
02-11-2009, 08:41 PM
The Vette boat? Meh..

which one?

you have any exhibitor freebie tix left?

Is the cig you took a bowshot of a Gladiator?

Cant wait to get there... be at the show Friday for the first time since the early 90's

gcarter
02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
The Ilmore powered strangeness......surface effect, or foils???????:confused::confused:

gero1
02-12-2009, 06:38 AM
which one is a skaterette

boxy
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
I really like the "trompe 'loeal" (sp?) in the Looney Tunes engine room. :wink:
I hate having to go to the dictionary before my first cup of coffee .... :D

Trompe-l'œil, which can also be spelled without the hyphen in English,[1] (French: "trick the eye", IPA: [tʁɔ̃p lœj]) is an art technique involving extremely realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects appear in three-dimensions, instead of actually being a two-dimensional painting.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just say..... I really like the art work in the engine room..... :D :D

Thanks for the pics Poodle.

mattyboy
02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
I hate having to go to the dictionary before my first cup of coffee .... :D
Trompe-l'œil, which can also be spelled without the hyphen in English,[1] (French: "trick the eye", IPA: [tʁɔ̃p lœj]) is an art technique involving extremely realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects appear in three-dimensions, instead of actually being a two-dimensional painting.
Wouldn't it have been simpler to just say..... I really like the art work in the engine room..... :D :D
Thanks for the pics Poodle.

i went to sleep last nite and now the lighthouse hugging,fench quoting maniacs have taken over, sorry but when you have to take out a dictionary on a performance boating site to look up a phrase that has nothing to do at all with boating, it is time to walk away from the open resin bottle george that is your name isn't it or are you using a nam de plume :tongue: :) ;)

gcarter
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
i went to sleep last nite and now the lighthouse hugging,fench quoting maniacs have taken over, sorry but when you have to take out a dictionary on a performance boating site to look up a phrase that has nothing to do at all with boating, it is time to walk away from the open resin bottle george that is your name isn't it or are you using a nam de plume :tongue: :) ;)

matty, you are a lot of fun.

CrackerJack
02-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for all the great pictures Scott. Would like to be there. Have a great weekend.

Jack

mattyboy
02-12-2009, 08:39 AM
matty, you are a lot of fun.

;) ;)

mattyboy
02-12-2009, 08:58 AM
wow and the looney tunes boat has txtaz's steering wheel

I wonder if the horn sounds like this

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Music/ltmu_005.mp3

mattyboy
02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
not a lot of hoopla about the redesign of the 27zr
saw a few pics it has side hood scoops very much like the old magnums and all sorts of redesigned stuff new dash, seats, added head room in the cabin so is there an ilmor 710 option??? pic please or as george would say les photographes see voo play

Tony
02-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Scott, do you have your own key to the boat show or something?
There are, like, NO people in the background of these pics.
Are you there at 7 a.m., or 2 a.m., or what?

Great pics, btw, thanks for sharing!

:beer:

Last Tango
02-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Mattyboy,
After your post about selling the Donzi and getting a pontoon boat, I don't know if I can bring myself to respond to you. But, maybe THIS will get your head straight...
Go to www.Donzimarine.com

The whole opening presentation is about the new 27ZR with pics and everything.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

mattyboy
02-12-2009, 07:59 PM
thanks and I love the 009 in red that is a true tribute ;)

Just Say N20
02-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I think the retro Chris*Crafts are phenomenal looking. I would actually consider one of those almost as much as a Donzi Classic.

zelatore
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
I think the retro Chris*Crafts are phenomenal looking. I would actually consider one of those almost as much as a Donzi Classic.
Funny you should mention that...
Looks like our bay area CC dealer (also Donzi) might be in trouble as we got a call from his flooring company, who we also use, asking if we would be interested in picking up some of his 22-36' inventory. When one of my owners mentioned it to me I told her CC's small boat line was a major hit, at least style-wise and told her it was one of the few new boats that could tempt me away from my 22. I also reminded her I had suggested we look at picking CC up a few years ago when they were first launching the retro boats. But that was before things went in the crapper. Today we don't even have a place to show a trailer boat line.

Ghost
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I nearly bought a retro Chris. Liked a lot about them, but aboard I had a few design complaints that seemed like didn't need to be problems but were. Concept I have always thought was spot on. Couple tweaks and they could be near perfect boats, IMO.

Lenny
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Man, do I hate what has happened to Boston Whaler over the last 15 years. I liked the old boats much better.

Tony
02-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Pics are awesome, Scott, thanks for taking the time to post them.

I like the CC Retro-Cruiser, too...but if given the choice I'd take the Looney boat in a heartbeat!

:beer:

BUIZILLA
02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
do the NEW Whaler's still have that stupid hook in the bottom? :nilly:

zelatore
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Man, do I hate what has happened to Boston Whaler over the last 15 years. I liked the old boats much better.

I actually thought they looked pretty good. Just not like a Whaler. I had to really do a double take to see the logo on the side of the green hulled one.

Conquistador_del_mar
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
IMo Chris Craft is hitting some serious home runs with their line of retro-cruisers. Not sure how long the "Silver Bullet" moniker will stick around, but this is one sweet boat here...

I am also a huge fan of the newest CC line. One of my customers bought one, and I got to see it up close - next to boating perfection in my book. Bill

Ghost
02-13-2009, 12:10 PM

I'm with you on that. The '71 Sakonnet 17 I grew up with was a great boat, and is still out there somewhere. For years the mods they did improved the line, keeping the best of the old, but glassing the console and seats, etc. The new ones seem like any old other line of CC fishing boats, in large measure. Perhaps Whaler might consider a "classic" line.

mjw930
02-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I saw them at the show back in '02 when they were first bought and were displaying the initial retro style boats and knew then that if they could hang long enough to recover from the debacle of their '90's ownership they would be a major player in this market. I told my wife that it was a boat I would seriously consider simply because the styling "moved" me.

My wife hasn't been around boats all her life like I have (she's a lot younger too) so her opinion of things aren't colored by years of prejudice. I value her impressions when she see's new boats and she placed the CC's in her top 5 at that show. She picked, based on first impressions and crawling around each of them, in this order, Magnum, Formula, Nortech, Chris Craft and Velocity (that last one isn't fair because we owned one at the time and Steve bought us stone crabs the night before ;) ) .

Ghost
02-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I saw them at the show back in '02 when they were first bought and were displaying the initial retro style boats and knew then that if they could hang long enough to recover from the debacle of their '90's ownership they would be a major player in this market. I told my wife that it was a boat I would seriously consider simply because the styling "moved" me.

My wife hasn't been around boats all her life like I have (she's a lot younger too) so her opinion of things aren't colored by years of prejudice. I value her impressions when she see's new boats and she placed the CC's in her top 5 at that show. She picked, based on first impressions and crawling around each of them, in this order, Magnum, Formula, Nortech, Chris Craft and Velocity (that last one isn't fair because we owned one at the time and Steve bought us stone crabs the night before ;) ) .

Hey, if you like those, you should like the Hunt 25 CC. Not sure you'd have seen them at the show, but I think they have quite a boat there. (And, uh, quite a price tag.)

zelatore
02-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey, if you like those, you should like the Hunt 25 CC. Not sure you'd have seen them at the show, but I think they have quite a boat there. (And, uh, quite a price tag.)

You mean something like this?

Now that's a damn fine looking boat!

mjw930
02-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Sorry, no interest in center consoles but this one is a looker, the Harrier 25:

http://www.huntyachts.com/images/h25-lg.jpg

mjw930
02-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Don,

You beat me to it ;)

zelatore
02-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Don,
You beat me to it ;)
I keep certain boats on 'speed dial' for when I get an overload of clorox bottle maxi-cruisers.
Not that there's anything wrong with my Carvers...after all, how can you not think this is a great classic?

mjw930
02-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I keep certain boats on 'speed dial' for when I get an overload of clorox bottle maxi-cruisers.
Not that there's anything wrong with my Carvers...after all, how can you not think this is a great classic?

No Comment :boat:

Ghost
02-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Sorry, no interest in center consoles but this one is a looker, the Harrier 25:

http://www.huntyachts.com/images/h25-lg.jpg

THAT'S the Hunt that I like best, the Harrier 25. Of course, I would have them put a 420 HP Volvo in it.

But for the center console guy, they have what looks like a great one to me.

Air 22
02-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Scott...Great Pic's:yes: I just got home from work today...man I wish we coulda made it down.....NEXT YEAR FOR SURE...:pimp:

gcarter
02-14-2009, 07:24 PM

Boxie, I've thought about this alot, even looked at the pictures again,
But to call the talent displayed in the Loonie Tunes boat "art work" is like confusing a Donzi to a Whaler.

Sorry!:wink::wink:

VetteLT193
02-16-2009, 08:42 AM
I thought the fit and finish on the Donzi's at the show were pretty bad. the 27 was the highlight, very well put together. 38 Comp was also nice. But the rest were embarrassing. If they sold a boat at the show I'd be shocked because the whole spread seemed to be lost in the mix.

Banana looked pretty hot, especially for the price and a basically full custom build.

Sutphen looked good too.

Baja gets most improved in my book, very nice fit and finish.

Fountain had an excellent display, also quite shocking to see how nice they were. Impeccable fit and finish on their spread. Reggie was there shaking peoples hands, knows everything about all the boats in the line. That is impressive too.

Cig was typical, eye candy all over the place in more ways than one :wink:

Formula had a huge spread, fit and finish awesome as usual.

Pood, my brother and I both lost your cell number, I PM'ed you, we were hoping to meet you... until next time. :crossfing:

mattyboy
02-16-2009, 08:46 AM
no pics of the new ilmor indy drive???? supposed to be the $#!+

Ghost
02-16-2009, 08:50 AM
No pics of the Cig eye candy?

VetteLT193
02-16-2009, 10:03 AM
No pics of the Cig eye candy?

didn't have my camera. Probably couldn't have worked it anyway, at least in that corner of the building :bonk:

BUIZILLA
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
welp, me and fuzzy did a quiet walk through yesterday just after daylight, for a couple hours before the show opened... he he.... and then I spent another 4-5 hours spying the goods on my own... :wink:

splash on paint was the rule of the show, as in day-before squirt and let's go...

who the hell wants a 43' or 44' outboard express cruiser with 3 or 4 engines??

Ilmor drive is a work of art, actually ANYTHING they do is poetry in motion,,, nice people, down to earth, no glitter, just total function and reality, the drive is ultra cool, well thought out, and one drive fits all hulls... they actually under rate their engines so customers are happier as an end result..

Sutphen 22 is gorgeous, 3 I/O models available, 3 outboard versions too, smart marketing move with 6 models on same hull combo, with a 496-425 it bumps the rev limiter with a 29 prop... do the math on that one... welllll in the 80's.... about 600#'s lighter than our 22's with an actual under foredeck that is VERY usable... superior tool work... this is a NICE boat.... with a 300XS Merc this would be a rocket, and pocket affordable... why won't Donzi do this with the 22?

Banana - this boat must be from a different mold than the wavy black one we saw at Haulover last fall.... looked MUCH better in tool work and finish... pretty neat actually....

big bling boats with big glitter turn me off, so look elsewhere for thoughts on those...

Mercury/Mercruiser had a really great exhibit, great information... well done

so did Evinrude and the Etec's...

the 27ZR looked MUCH better than before, it's growing on me.... whomever made the Donzi show color and quality control choices for the other boats needs to get better glasses.... did ZERO for me, but that's me ....

every single finance co. booth was empty of traffic,,,,, conspicuously empty.... depressingly empty.... new rates are more common sense... 35% down on 100k loans and over, 25% down under 100k loans...

AmeraTrail builds a NICE trailer....they just got a 123 trailer order from one boat builder :wink: so they MUST be doing something right, and they are...

Chris Craft's were out there cool on quality, it's a damn shame to just get these wet, they look so perfect.... :yes:

Volvo Marine has sensible packages, DPR is only available on BIG diesels however..

8100 Vortec's are everywhere...

saw 3 or for LS platform engines, including one package with an aluminum block and supercharger, 554hp on pump gas and a warranty... :kingme:

the Blackwood I could own, seriously..... however bow lights are mandatory and they NEED to know this... all the salesmen were clueless why it didn't have basic USCG lighting as standard equipment... oop's we forgot... and the show boat has several hours photo time.... okay, then how are you going to run the wires forward now with the deck glued on I asked??? :bonk: :nilly:

I almost bought a 22 Striper.... shhhhhhh.....

I bought 10 raffle tickets for the Contender giveaway boat... don't tell Striper that....

lot's of 2008 leftover deals on the floor....

BIG hull builders were obviously absent....

speaking of which, at least 5 other boat company's, probably more, were doing raffles.... somewhat of a turnoff to me actually... Sea Vee asked me for $50 a ticket, and they then asked if I could afford that.... I said no, the lemonade $$$ wiped me out, I need gas money to get home, and I walked off...

Herring brought 5 props, 2 lawn chairs, and a poker card table.... and the props start at 5k?? like WTF here guys, business can't be that bad....

$5 for a 20 ounce lemonade? huh... :eek:

short's and polo shirt on a Harley at 6:15am in dense fog isn't smart... however at 3pm in miles long dead stop traffic in the heat it WAS very smart...

if you walked in it was $30, plus 3 lemonades at $5 each, and 1 hot dog and $15 parking makes it $65 per person, extreme turnoff to a LOT of people..... just insultingly toooo damn much money for the average person...

the ultra low sale prices on the poster's you say?? F*** that, offer 15% under that, they'll offer you a soda, and they'll still talk to you...

next 2 weeks we'll see who's still in business....

VetteLT193
02-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Buiz... I agree, Sutphen's were very nice. 20 degree deadrise was the only worry I had. Strong contender for a new boat purchase though considering how much less they are than Donzi's.

MOP
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Even when times are good the promoters kill a lot of attendance with the prices, I asked the guy that runs a local fairly large show about keeping prices more in line. He said it keeps the dreamers away, I said sooner or later the dreamer buys a boat. The last show I did at NY Coliseum ended up costing about 7K for a 10X10, that was rooms, food, $125 electric outlet we needed three, $375 supplied carpet, $450 for rails and drop cloths and the list went on! I gave up after that one they show promoters have gotten way to greedy and the union help is ridiculously expensive and you can not touch anything they do it all!

From the pic's it looks like the show was a bust!

zelatore
02-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Buiz - what, no pics of these amazing Sutphens? I checked their site, but no 22...

MOP - You think $7K is bad? Try doing an out of the water show with big boats. LOTS of floor space, plus man-hours of building the staging/stairs, plus the yard fees and labor to split the boats apart, reassemble them on-site, then break them down after the show, then reassemble them back in the back at the office, plus the trucking to move them over-land....there's a reason we didn't do our winter out of the water show this year! Even with a small display (say one big boat and 3 or 4 smaller ones) we can easily drop $75K. Just doesn't pay off.

(I hate to think what it costs to do Miami or Lauderdale)

mattyboy
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
The last show I did at NY Coliseum ended up costing about 7K for a 10X10, that was rooms, food, $125 electric outlet we needed three, $375 supplied carpet, $450 for rails and drop cloths and the list went on! I gave up after that one they show promoters have gotten way to greedy and the union help is ridiculously expensive and you can not touch anything they do it all!

From the pic's it looks like the show was a bust!

the NY coliseum!!!!! :eek: you mean the nassau coliseum right????

Zel,

i think Buiz meant a 21 they have one done up in a shelbyish color scheme

zelatore
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Zel,
i think Buiz meant a 21 they have one done up in a shelbyish color scheme

Nothing smaller than 32 on the website... :confused:

MOP
02-16-2009, 01:25 PM
[quote=mattyboy;495260]the NY coliseum!!!!! :eek: you mean the nassau coliseum right????

Javitts Center

MOP
02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Buiz - what, no pics of these amazing Sutphens? I checked their site, but no 22...

MOP - You think $7K is bad? Try doing an out of the water show with big boats. LOTS of floor space, plus man-hours of building the staging/stairs, plus the yard fees and labor to split the boats apart, reassemble them on-site, then break them down after the show, then reassemble them back in the back at the office, plus the trucking to move them over-land....there's a reason we didn't do our winter out of the water show this year! Even with a small display (say one big boat and 3 or 4 smaller ones) we can easily drop $75K. Just doesn't pay off.

(I hate to think what it costs to do Miami or Lauderdale)

That was a 10"X10" off to the side for my brokerage! Just picture board displays, computer and a couple of folding chairs yes supplied $40 each.

mattyboy
02-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I was gonna say if it were a show at the NY coliseum you are way older than what you admit to! :)

mattyboy
02-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Sutphen was neat, but the dash area was a turnoff in my book.. Checkmate looking, olllllld Checkmate..
Rates here are as bad if not worse. We need one extension cord to run a register..
300 bucks...

yeah the dash is bland in my book too, but i think Carl would like the cup holders :tongue:

so how old checkmate are we back to metal flake paint ???

:wink:

heres the link to sutphen

http://www.sutphenboats.com/index.htm

Lenny
02-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, the SSX does look interesting.

VetteLT193
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
They had the blue SSX at the show. The other one on the web site they didn't bring, but had for sale... The guy was trying to get me to buy it. They had a 2nd at the show with no power, they would put whatever the customer wanted.

I have to assume those are the first 3 built.

I like the look of the back seat with the bolsters. Dash didn't bother me, didn't blow me away either. just sort of 'there' if you know what I mean.

Banana was more impressive as far as flexibility goes. They will do anything you want and the price isn't bad either.

BUIZILLA
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
nothing wrong with the dash IMO.......... wrap around gauges a plus, side pod like a Minx a plus, huge side storage areas, foot rests are in the correct places...

there is even a flat area to put a current style full face color screen GPS/plotter in the center of the dash.... try that on a 22C...

BUIZILLA
02-16-2009, 03:09 PM
so did Hudson.. :cool:

BUIZILLA
02-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Striper man, think Striper... I am.... ALL composite construction, even the transom....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

How much was the Blackwood.. <sitting down> dunno... you still have 1 1/2 hours to find out, so hurry it up...
ask about the *running light delete* option while your there...

Ghost
02-16-2009, 03:28 PM
ask about the *running light delete* option while your there...

LOL, on the price sheet it's the "86NAV" package.

BUIZILLA
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
there was another well known brand there that puts their running lights on the console.... before installing the T-top, and by doing so the lights are COMPLETELY hidden from view head on behind the tubes and out to 30*-40* or more to each side... :nilly: :bonk: one BIG builder even had two green LED on the bow... fuzzy needs to post a bowlight pic BTW.... think gator eyes....

zelatore
02-16-2009, 04:18 PM
there was another well known brand there that puts their running lights on the console.... before installing the T-top, and by doing so the lights are COMPLETELY hidden from view head on behind the tubes and out to 30*-40* or more to each side... :nilly: :bonk: one BIG builder even had two green LED on the bow... fuzzy needs to post a bowlight pic BTW.... think gator eyes....

This is going to stir some interesting debate in years to come over 'factory original' restorations....

mattyboy
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
LOL, no but I think a mullet is required...
The blue one did have noice paint. The omc/bomb powered one that they tried to run me over with twice didnt impress me either. AIR, no inner liner in them?

the mullet is long gone and the hair that remain is gray not blonde but i do have a leather members only jacket and a big azz gold chain will that do ;)

BTW i Like the sutphen A LOT!!!

donzi2287
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
The sutphen looked good. Bottom line. Hard to beat at the price too.

sweet 16 1966
02-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Sutphen salesguy said with the 496- it would hit *85*... Looked to be a 19'?
Had to have a real flat bottom!

mattyboy
02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
keep in mind it has a deeper vee than the hornet, i like the blue one the white and yellow one looks a little sparse unrigged

BUIZILLA
02-17-2009, 03:19 PM
21 Sutty vs a 27ZR....

yeah... good comparison.... :kingme:

it's only a *cabin* if you can stand up in it...

otherwise it's just a frolicking arena.... at best

mattyboy
02-17-2009, 03:25 PM
did sutphen have their 27 there???

Ghost
02-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Under 27', what's a cabin for besides frolicking? I mean, I've been in there to do some wiring, and the head's in there, but other than that... :cartman: