PDA

View Full Version : 22ZX Opinions

Magic Float
12-17-2002, 04:36 PM
A friend is considering ordering one with a 350 Mag. Never had any experience with one. Comments?

Ranman
12-17-2002, 04:38 PM
This should be good. I'm going to get a bag of popcorn, sit back and watch the show. :D

Seriously though, there are a lot of opinions regarding this boat.

I think that with the 350MAG and a competent driver with respect to stepped hull boats, it's a fine choice.

These boats used to be offered with big block power (454 385hp and 502 415hp), that offered astonishing speeds in this 22 foot model. In my opinion, that type of power combined with the aggressive step in the running surface MAY be a dangerous combination when paired with an inexperienced driver.

Again, the 350MAG is most likely a less potent and more forgiving combination than the high HP big blocks. That being said, ALL step hulls should be met with due caution and respect.

I plan on enjoying the opinions/responses on this topic.

Magic Float
12-17-2002, 04:52 PM
What did I step into here? I'm just a small town dealer,am I missing something? frown

Shanghied Again
12-17-2002, 04:56 PM
My opinion on the 22ZX? The best 22 ft boat made ever. I have been in Scarabs, Velocitys and Checkmates. The 22ZX runs the best. Solid runs with the big boys in any Poker Run and I can attest to that! The 22 Zx is a drivers boat understand the step hull and you will never have a problem, a good 65 mph boat and the 350 has proven itself over and over as one of the best GM blocks ever built. I love my 26Zx, But I miss my 22ZX The ride was one of a kind and there was not any boat in her class that could touch me in rough water. My oppinion Go For It! :D

Rene496
12-17-2002, 06:13 PM
Does anyone own or driven a 22zx with the scorpion 377 motor in it? What are your thoughts on the boat with that motor? What would be a good price for a 03 with that set up? I have a Checkmate 221 Vision with a 454/bravo, but I am going to get a 22 classic or 22zx.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-17-2002, 08:23 PM
I had the 350 mag, my issues was the Alpha Gen II, went through several of them, no problems with the SB engine.
If to do over, I would, it was my first Donzi and a great boat. It sold twice for more than it's original cost too.
1999, sold for 28,800 once and then 32K the next time. With almost 300 hours.
The seats have issues with allot of guys, when mine broke Donzi gave me new ones, twice.
She did land hard in bigger water, in fact a jock strap was often mandatory! But who needs more kids anyway!
Hey Randy, how is the popcorn?
Bryan

HP 600SC
12-17-2002, 09:54 PM
Definatly the best 22 ever made!! ROFLOL http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/geno/rofl.gif

Ranman
12-17-2002, 11:20 PM
I knew you guys would come to the defense of the 22ZX. I know several of you have owned them with good results. Not a bad thing. I've contemplated buying one myself several times. I should also point out that I'm am a Donzi fanatic and love this manufacturer as much as anyone. The 22ZX's are fine, especially if your a veteran boater, however I take a few exceptions... again some more of my opinion.

The seats suck. They flat out do not belong in a Donzi. I understand the factory's rationale behind them, but they are a poor solution. Every other ZX comes with drop out bolsters, the 22 should be no exception. The Donzi website tries to claim it is not a "Baby ZX", but to me it is.

The Gaffrig II's are also an obvious attempt at "cost savings". Although not exclusive to the 22ZX as they've been spotted on the classics (another poor choice), all other ZX's have the real deal Gaffrigs. On a side note, most of the the Classics are getting better instrumentation for the new model year. Is the 22ZX coming with better instrumentation for 2003?

The single lever throttle control. Again, only the 22ZX has this inferior product vs. the real deal Zero-effort's in every other ZX.

These are just a few features of the 22ZX that I personally don't care for. Right, wrong or indifferent, those are my thoughts.

Now, on to the last issue. Back in the mid to late 90's (like 95-97 or somewhere around there) the 22ZX's could be ordered with a 415hp 502 / Bravo package that ran close to 80mph. I believe 97 was the last year for the 502. Then in 98, the 454 MAG 385HP was the top power package that ran in the low to mid 70's. Then in 99 or 00, Donzi dropped the big blocks all together no longer offering them in the 22ZX. As far as I know, the 377 Scorpion 350HP package is now top power. This is an expensive option, so most new ZX's now come with the 350MAG 300HP. The boats now run in the low to mid 60's. Why did Donzi drop the big blocks? I have never seen an actual answer published by Donzi, but I personally have SPECULATED on why they did this. Too much liability on a dangerous product. 80MPH in a stepped bottom 22 foot anything is going to be dangerous, especially in the hands of novice boaters. Several folks here will tell you they loved the 22ZX they owned. Most of those owners, however are not novice boaters. The thing is, I have heard several stories of people unintentionally spinning out a 22ZX sometimes even resulting in serious injuries. I have heard more of these stories than I care to recount. There has been a lot of debate on whether this is a function of the boats design or of novice boaters who are unfamiliar with driving a modern step bottom. I don't know the answer, but I've heard the stories and seen the pictures, and listened to the debates, and watched the power packages dwindle. Today you can get more power than ever in your 22 Classic from the factory (470hp), how come the 22ZX went the other direction? Obvoiusly, you can hurt yourself in any boat, the question is is it easier to do in the 22ZX? Like I said, these are my opinions and I'm not claiming to know anything about these boats. This is just what I've seen and heard. I encourage others to express their opinions too.

Lastly, I should admit that I have never owned, driven or even ridden in any 22ZX, so what the hell do I know anyway? I just like to ramble.

Here are some past discussions on the 22ZX.

http://www.donzi.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001792#000000

Walt. H.
12-18-2002, 12:39 AM
Well Put RANMAN, That's what happen's when "LAWYERS" start helping to build boats :mad: DON'T BAN THE HI-PERFORMANCE boat! BAN THE LO-PERFORMANCE DRIVER! whats your opinion ? Did I strike a nerve? is someone near an "ATTORNEY"? (Not Sooorry)! :(Anyone know the difference between a lawyer and a cat fish? Well, One is a scum sucking cussball eating bottom feeder, and the other one is a FISH!

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2002, 04:51 AM
RANMAN, good points, plus a Scorpion package 22ZX would be as much as a stock power 26 almost.

The post link is more of a ramble since earlier in the year I deleted my comments when I was ask for data by a guy who was considering a law suit which I wanted no part of.

I am by no means defending anything, it was a fun boat, but I did feel the need to move up for rough water boating.

The 26ZX is very stable, she turns well, Powerboat of the year, 1999.
You still looking RANMAN?

WALT, I saw a show on that on SPEED CHANNEL, about insurance and muscle cars, specifically Dodges, neat show.
Bryan

riverrat
12-18-2002, 05:13 AM
the step in the hull must be a issue or Donzi would still put the hp in them..

Shanghied Again
12-18-2002, 05:22 AM
Ranman. The 22ZX dropped the big blocks because the boat was heavy in the rear the boat ran a top speed of 74mph with a 502 never hit 80, As far as I know there are only 2 22Zxs that ever broke the 80mph speed and that my old one at 510hp and little Griz with the same hp. The 350 and the Scorpion work well in the 22ZX weight factor also the scorpion runs the baot in the low 70s with a price tag. If you but bolsters gauges and racing controls That would be great but it would elevate the 22 near the 26 price tag, The 22 wont sell anymore! The big blocks were also dropped because the boat was a 38,000 pocket rocket that was affordable by anyone looking for a fast cheep thrill boat, The problem was novices could not handle the boat. When I flipped my 20ft Stevens Drag boat at 125mph I didn't go after Stevens for making an inferior product that broke in a turn. It was my fault I should have known better! The American way has become my neglogence is your neglogence! frown

Woodsy
12-18-2002, 06:06 AM
Well Guys...

THought I would weigh in. Some of you know, my friend Pete picked up a 454 (330HP) 22ZX last july just in time for the Winni Poker Run. I have had the opportunity to drive the boat on several occasions and in my opinion its a pretty darn good boat. It does have its issues though.

I agree with Randy, the seats leave something to be desired, I don't think the boat is deep enough for really nice bolsters, but somethings got to be better than that setup.

The step in the hull is extremely aggressive for the size of the boat. It can make the boat squirrely in a turn if you do not know how or have any instruction in how to drive a short stepped hull boat. The axis of rotation is right in the middle of the boat, and what can happen is the nose bites in a turn but the rear loses its bite on the water (because it is aerated) causing the boat to spin on its axis. I think the reason Donzi got rid of the big block, was not horsepower, it was weight. That extra 200-300 pounds on the ass of the boat really contributed to this handling quirk. They don't come with tabs because then you can force the nose down and cause this to happen as well. Its not a beginner boat, but in the hands of a capable driver, she is a blast to drive.

Woodsy Von Test Pilot

OceanCommotion
12-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Just to expound on Ranman's thoughts a little bit, all boats can be dangerous with a meathead at the helm. There are plenty of guys on this board that know what they're doing and I wouldn't worry even a little about them behind the wheel of one of these, but my personal opinion is that this isn't the best boat for someone that is a beginner or doesn't have their performance boating act together.

I've mentioned my story about seeing two guys in a 22ZX overpower a turn, spinout and roll a few years back here before. The guys driving it were longtime boaters but had no business being behind the wheel of this rig. They got hurt, and they could have really hurt someone else in the process. As it was, they got ejected and my buddy and I had to chase down the unmanned and still-running ZX, pull alongside, and pull an Indiana Jones to jump into it to shut it down before it ran into or over someone.

An isolated incident, and I know there are plenty of competent boaters out there that can handle these rigs, but I don't like the idea of someone relatively inexperienced having one.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Woodsy, all the 22ZX's I looked at in 1999 came with trim tabs, this is the second time I have heard this comment, they all came with trim tabs, I have NEVER seen a picture of one without.
I could be wrong, but doubt it. Standard in the brochure.
I no longer own mine, a board member here now does. So I will go ahead and speak candidly, yes I spun mine at AOTH I, unintentionally.
The 22ZX is a great boat, the issues are things such as tight rigging, hard to work on dash and stereo, the seats, trailer eyes are located $hitty (so is the 26ZX) and the 1999 fairing issues.
We enjoyed ours for almost 300 hours. She was named "NO FEAR", she did what most 22's could not, but did land hard.

Many good points have surfaced here and it is a valuable thread for Magic.
On the flip side, this is only a few OWNERS opinions, there are many many 22ZX's out there.
Maybe the few more here on the board will chime in for Magic.

Each boat has characterisitics, and some in identical situations drive them differently with better results/ride.
There should be training for ALL step boats like the 33 Scarab Course in Fla our friends took.
Safety first.
Bryan

F2's spin out too.... trained pro's?

Woodsy
12-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Frank...

Don't want to disagree with you, I know you are the 22ZX guru, but I assure you, Pete's 99' boat does not have tabs... and I know that tabs are not offered on the new 22ZX's at all.

Reason given from Donzi Customer Service: Tabs are not recommended for the 22ZX as they may catch in a turn and cause a possible adverse reaction. I know this because the first thing Pete wanted to do was put tabs on the boat!

Woodsy Von Donzi

Ranman
12-18-2002, 10:02 AM
Frank, Thanks for the speed correction. I thought they were a tad quicker with the 502. I think we all agree that the 22ZX is not a "death trap" so to speak, but requires above average respect, caution, and skill while operating.

Frank/Woodsy, I like your thoughts on the weight issue. So it's possible the big blocks made the boat stern heavy which might give the small block 22ZX a handling advantage. Also, the value from the added power of a big block is not that great since the boat would use up that power pushing the heavier and lower riding boat through the water. Maybe the BB boats were extra money NOT well spent. Hmmm...

In any event, If the boats were inherintly dangerous, production would be stopped, so I feel this is not the case. The only thing I would be sure to do when ordering a new 22ZX would be to buck up and get the Bravo drive. The 22ZX is just too much boat for an Alpha in my eyes.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2002, 10:06 AM
Woodsy, thanks for the info, I learn something new everyday, I stand corrected.
Don't ask what else I learned today on mine! A good thing.
Bryan

Woodsy
12-18-2002, 12:09 PM
OOPS... I typed Frank, what I meant to type was Bryan! My Bad!

Woodsy Von Idiot :D

Lil Grizz
12-18-2002, 12:23 PM
Here I am! The 22zx does hook in a high speed turn but then again if you know how to drive a boat then you know not to try and pull a 180 in a boat at 40+ mph. The step hull seems to amplify the situation but if you constantly feel the need to pinwheel a 22 footer then get a sea-doo and not a V-hull. Driving the ZX in a sensible manner has no ill effects.

The 22zx does tend to land hard at lower speeds when not trimmed out. At high speeds the ride is much smoother and level than would be assumed. I have driven/ridden in the classic 22 and its my opinion that the ZX is just "easier" to control. It handles the water like a much bigger boat, stays where you point it, flies flat, lands flat, and feels solid as a rock the whole time. My only complaint is that the boat has a lot of hull and takes an unusual amount of time to get on plane.

boldts
12-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Just an out-siders observation, but the 1 biggest thing I learned by listening was to never trim a 22zx, with the slot, in as you enter a turn which is common practice for most boat owners. Now with that being said, wouldn't the added weight of a BB help this situation? I would think the added weight would help keep the bow in the air and thus keep the boat from nose diving in a turn....

Now, you want a Donzi with bow height, put a Mirage prop on my 22 Classic. You talk about a boat with only one throttle position, it was my 22 with a Mirage on it! Full throttle or no throttle. Also porposed like a Bxxxx until you got her running full speed. Check out Geoo's AOTH II video and you'll see what I'm talking about. Did someone say run a Turbo on the Classics? Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic! :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2002, 12:49 PM
Boldts, you have it backwards, trimming the drive up actually squats the stern.

Lil Grizz, you have a point to some extent.
I have a Jet Ski also.... :)
The 22 is a great boat, but at 50 MPH in a 45 degree turn you can almost feel the slide.
Not sure how this turned into a 22 ZX debate vs safety, hell I sold mine!
If it was "all that" I would have kept it.
I sure didn't move up for speed....
Moving onward...
Bryan

HyperDonzi
12-18-2002, 02:37 PM
If the step is reason they got rid of the big blocks, reason for spinning the boat out, and all that other dangerous stuff, why dont they get rid of the step and then have an option for the big block again?

AllenF
12-18-2002, 03:36 PM
Well here is my opinion. Ihave a 99zx 502 with factory tabs. With extensive eng mods it runs 76 on a good day.(labbed 26 at 5400) Delivered from the factory with the trim limits the boat is almost impossible to get into trouble with. However to run 70+ on calm waters without porposing you need to remove some of the trim limit. This can be done in stages (about 1/2 inch from the leg to the stern) to find the best location for your hull. I have adjusted mine so that it has a little porpose about 68-70 cleaning up above 70. In rough water this is not a problem. Obviously if you remove trim limits from the boat you are on your own. Speed has its price. The seats are marginal.

Ranman
12-18-2002, 03:38 PM
why dont they get rid of the step and then have an option for the big block again?
Because it's a lot easer to install a small block into a stepped boat than it is to take the step out. To remove the step, you need a new design/mold. Molds ain't cheap.

Greg K
12-18-2002, 04:34 PM
If i'm not mistaken...the 22ZX did not have a step till after '97. As seen here in this Pic of a '97 22 ZX (http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/756886/37762994_2.jpg)

Who needs steps anyways??? :p

Ranman
12-18-2002, 05:06 PM
Interesting observation Greg. Could you get a 22ZX 502 with a step? Looks like you could get a 454 with a step for a few years, but wasn't 97 the last year for the 502? This may change a lot of things. Wouldn't it be much tougher to swap ends in a non-step boat since there is no aeration under the hull?

Greg K
12-18-2002, 05:15 PM
I'm sure that '97 was the last year for the 502 in the 22ZX. I would think so on swapping ends, from what I read or have been told, the pivot point on a stepped hull is moved forward. The others you ask about, I have no idea.

CDMA
12-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Funny how I think of a 502 in a 22zx as "big" and a 502 in a 22 Classic as...normal....funny... wink

Chris

Magic Float
12-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I really didn't mean to open up Pandora's Box here but it has been quite informative. I told my friend he should buy a 22 Classic,guess i still feel that way. Thanks for the input.

HP 600SC
12-18-2002, 06:05 PM
Yea!!!!! :D :D :D

GEOO
12-18-2002, 06:24 PM
I've seen Franks old 22ZX run.. She ran like the wind!! No one could believe a 22 footer was keeping up with the Big Boy's, in the Poker Run's. I would like to see more power then a 350ci, but as long as you have a Bravo you can always add power later if you feel it is needed.

Donzi Dreaming
12-18-2002, 06:50 PM
This boat was for sale a while back on Boat Trader: 1999 22ZX with a 502/ Bravo combination, with trim tabs.

http://www.donzi.net/photos/JCornell05.22zx.jpg

Nice boat, wish I could have bought it.

John

Shanghied Again
12-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Woodsy I didn't say anything about Trim Tabs, My 22Zx didn't have them and I would never use them on the 22. I was talking about the trim on the drive. If you keep the trim up between 1/4 and 1/2 the 22ZX drives like a dream, As soon as I find the pics of my old 22ZX I replaced the seats with drop out bolsters that not only looked great but made you feel secure and dropped out if you wanted them to.

mikev
12-18-2002, 07:12 PM
I have a dumb question from a guy who has driven plenty of boats but never a step hull what does it o diffrent in terms of handling and what do you have to watch out for (just in case i can talk the wife int letting me get a new boat)

Shanghied Again
12-18-2002, 07:17 PM
Here is a pic I found of the 22ZX with the kids sitting in the bolster seats. I am still looking for the others actually my better half is. http://www.donzi.net/photos/FCivitano17.jpg

HyperDonzi
12-18-2002, 09:08 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
why dont they get rid of the step and then have an option for the big block again?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it's a lot easer to install a small block into a stepped boat than it is to take the step out. To remove the step, you need a new design/mold. Molds ain't cheap.

Forgot that :rolleyes: :D

Hardonzi
12-18-2002, 09:50 PM
It`s just a blast to drive.......I`ve had mine 2 years and will run with the 350 Mag. against anything in its class and then some.Poker run boaters are amazed the speed this 22 can run given decent water.I love mine but I need to go bigger for poker runs in these waters. :D :D

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
12-18-2002, 10:01 PM
HARDONZI, great to hear from you...
Any bites? She is a sweet looking boat.
Bryan

Scubado
12-19-2002, 01:19 AM
I own a 2000 22ZX with the 350Mag Alpha. After everyone else has weighed in on the subject (many of you have never even ridden in one) I have to say that it has been an impressive boat for me.

First of all. It is not dangerous at all. It handles very well and very predictably. You can make it spin if you turn very hard at speed with the drive down. So what! This is not something that "just happens". If you are paying attention you will notice that the boat's angle of attack flattens (the deck goes from being at a steep angle into the turn to more parallel to the water) out BEFORE the rear becomes loose. I feel it is every boat owner’s responsibility to know the handling characteristics of his boat. Every boat behaves differently. Yes, I know it may be old fashioned to believe in personal responsibility, but I do. I want to make it perfectly clear that I firmly believe this boat is no more inherently dangerous than any other boat on the water.

I have had my boat in rough seas (8 foot swell in the Channel Islands of the Pacific) and it handles quite well. I regularly went out with a 38' Scarab, Cig. Cafe, Nordic Flame, etc. All 30+ foot boats, and ran right along with them in the big stuff. In fact, when they were heading back for fuel I was just getting started.

That brings me to the best quality of the 350 Mag. I could run and do run 175 Miles or more on a tank of fuel. That's running from Ventura to Santa Barbara and out to the islands. Or from Ventura down the coast to the LA area. Something that only I would do, everyone else trailered their boats.

This boat defines versatility. It is great for water skiing. Unmatched in its class in the rough water. Impressive speed. The cuddy is great for storage and kids. I've slept over in it many times myself (I'm 6'2" 210 LBS). It's size makes trailering a breeze. And of course, the subjective qualities... in my humble opinion a truly beautiful boat. I'm not the only one who thinks so. Heads turn when you're in this boat. Us Donzi owners are used to that.

As for motor and drive options. Don't we all want more HP? The Alpha is supposed to be OK to 300 hp. That's the output of the 350 MAG. If you want to add HP (we all do) you should look at the Bravo drive. I'm told the CA dealer orders his boats with the 350MAG Bravo. Dealers order what they want to sell. Price point is always a factor for these guys. I hesitate to speculate as to why Donzi does not offer the larger HP options. I think Frank and others have proven that the hull is completely safe with higher HP options. I hope that you all realize that this idle speculation does have an affect on "the public image" of the boat.

Finally, 22 Classic or 22ZX??? I don't think you can compare the two. It should be an easy choice for anyone who takes the time to consider their boating needs. I defy you to find a better boat than the 22ZX in its class. It stands alone, head and shoulders above the rest as does the 22 Classic.

Paul Storti
12-19-2002, 05:39 PM
What Scubado said...

You definitely need trim tabs the boat always leans into the wind which I find very annoying, but for it little boat it handles great.

My biggest complaints are the lack of an anchor locker and the piece of crap seats they really hold back the boat in rough water because they flop all around and it makes it tough to drive safely and very uncomfortable for passengers. As a matter of fact while out blasting around in 5-6 footers in front of Miami Beach my passenger seat broke right off scaring the you know what out of my passenger, like Frank said bolsters would make all the difference but I'm saving my $$$ for a ZXO.

BabyDonzi
12-19-2002, 07:41 PM
With all of this discussion on the 22's, I had to chime in. I see alot of valid points here and some uncertainty. Starting out with the bottom liners of the boating world, I went "big" with the 00 22ZX. Our 454 Bravo combo has been radared at 77 mph in a light chop. A handfull to say the least! The stepped hull puts enough air under her to literally keep the prop only in the water in a light chop, hence the low water intake. She came stock with the trims. The rumors of these boats nose digging and "spinning out" are very true. When I was first getting comfortable with her and putting her through her paces, I was doing the "how hard can she hook" test. Results= as hard as she wants. Not a beginners boat by any stretch of the imagination and for the hardened boater, you have to stay on top of her at all times. She will hit hard, batteries torn from their hold downs, broken water lines, and the infamous "That beer was full a second ago" scenarios are typical of a 30 gallon day.
But she will also fly hard too!
In my opinion, a great bang for the buck! But of course, now I'm eyeing those 26's wink

Shanghied Again
12-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Bolsters make a big big difference. http://www.donzi.net/photos/FCivitano18.jpg

Shanghied Again
12-19-2002, 08:33 PM
Here is the back view. http://www.donzi.net/photos/FCivitano19.jpg

RICPAZ
12-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Interesting post. I read through all the previous posts and felt it was my turn.

I have a '99 22ZX with the 502 Magnum and the stepped hull. The stepped hull was first introduced in '98. 1999 was the last year you could order the boat with a 502. I absolutely love this boat! It is extremely exciting and fast with the 502. I also have a 24p four-blade labbed prop, trim tabs, straight thru-hull exhaust (no quick & quiet), K&N air intake, hydraulic assist steering, mech. trim indicators and Bravo 1 Performance outdrive w/ low water pick-ups. This was all ordered from the factory, except the K&N filter. I have not found another boat this size (or slightly larger) that will run with her in choppy seas. On a good day, with 1-2 foot waves, she'll top out around 80, plus or minus a few mph's. I agree with you all that this boat, with my setup, can be a handful, but once you learn how to drive it and become comfortable with it, it is an absolute blast! The only issues I have with it are porpoising around 63-73 mph. This is only noticable in perfectly calm water (lake or river) and once you go above 73 mph it goes away. I have also heard that K-Planes may correct this? The other issues are no anchor locker up front and no side cleats for fenders (Donzi now offers side cleats on the newer models). I agree with some of you that it would be much better (not to mention much more kind to my back) if it were equipped with bolsters. But I think they would take away much of the cockpit space and are a little too big for this size boat. I can live with the Gaffrig II gauges. All in all, this is the best boat I ever owned and the best 22 footer around and I would recommend it to anyone. Too bad they no longer offer the big block, high hp engines!!! If you can afford it-get the 377 Scorpion. I can tell you, this boat really comes alive once you go beyond the standard 350 (not that's there's anything dull with the 350!) I would love to keep my boat longer, but I have that itch to go bigger (26 or 28ZX) soon and that is why I am selling it. Anyway, I'll know I'll never forget my 22!
-Rich

Darrell
12-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Frank

The bolsters look great in your old 22Zx, It looks like the rear seat leg room was a little cramped. That was the reason I never installed them in my old Scarab 23SCS, I would have about 4" between the seats.

Darrell

Shanghied Again
12-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Believe it or not the seats only took up about 3" more in the back. I have better pics that show this as soon as I can find them. They just look bigger. They took up more center room. The 22ZX isn't that big n the back anyway

Cuda
12-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Frank, did you get the bolsters from Donzi?

Darrell
12-21-2002, 05:18 PM
Frank

Well that one reason we got rid of the Scarab, it was very fast hull, but no room, no way you could have put bolsters in it. I'll bet there a lot of 22ZX owners that have just put bolsters on there wish list. The boat looks like it came from the factory with those seats.

Darrell

Shanghied Again
12-21-2002, 06:42 PM
I ordered them from a guy in Miami, I tolh im the colors I wanted and had them custom made from 36" height to 26" height, The bottoms drop out but I liked them for sitting, Here is the web site for the bolster seats
http://www.hot-pursuit.com/bulster.html

fasttrucker
12-21-2002, 07:02 PM
my 28zx is the first boat ive had with a stepped hull.iam very impressed with it.now iam spoiled and whouldnt want to go back.my freinds sonic with its deep v.porposes bad.up+down,up+down.spining out does not worry me,but ive had the chime walking...where the boat goes side to side.i just slowdown,change the trim .whatever, then go back to full power.it took me by suprise at first but i figured it out after a few weeks.a new boater without experience could mess up. :rolleyes:

Hardonzi
12-22-2002, 05:10 PM
Scubado,Ditto for me.I run this boat all day on 60.00 worth of fuel. That is one of the great aspects of the 22zx. I run 25 outlaws,28 Donzi`s,33 scarabs and they look at me and nod that this little perf.boat can run with them.I finished one poker run and they thought I was running a 502,had to open the engine compatment and prove to them it was a 350 Mag.I just can`t figure out why I`m having a problem selling her. The price is 33k and the boat is turn key,pristine in appearence with no scratches on gel-coat. The reason I`ve been told is the 350 Mag. and the alpha drive.It`s only a 22 people that weighs 3500lbs moves at 62-66 what more do you want for 33k. I know people paying 33k for the 20 outlaw loaded,what a joke. My 22 will blow your doors off and get the stare down anyday side by side. The lines on th 22ZX boat are beautiful. All the looks of the big ZX`s just a smaller version. I`ve had 2 E-mails on people wanting to buy it,but they never contact me for a ride or to talk purchase. One even told me he wanted it by Christmas and his loan has gone through. NADA,NOTHING since that last E-mail Dec. 19. If you see this boat in person and are serious about a 22ZX you will be ecstatic when you see it,hear it and drive it.

Tug
01-24-2003, 08:34 PM
I have a 22zx with the 6.2L and Bravo Drive. I believe it was the third 03 built. I love it. I would like to supercharge the engine though. Which is better whipple or procharger? I want to do the install myself.

By the way I got mine with trailer out the door for $43.5K.

Paul Storti
01-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Hey Tug,

Welcome aboard, I have done a lot of research on the different superchargers and I am going to get the procharger when I finally get around to it, I like the idea of the intercooler and not having to mess around with the computer, and if you get the brochure the have numerous before and after comparisons. If you need a place to get one call Rob at 717-938-8545 he gave me a pretty good quote. How fast does it go now, on GPS?

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Tug, welcome aboard.
HARDONZI, any luck yet?
Bryan

Shanghied Again
01-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Paul, I was a ProCharger attic, Look into the new VorTech built almost the same as the ProCharger, just a little upscale, I like the Idea of a removable internal intercooler, You can inspect at anytime. most prochargers fail due to leaky intercoolers and that can trash your motor, There is no way you can inspect them. Also Vortech uses stainless tubes instead of rubber hoses looks nicer and will last longer, The other bad part on a procharger is the piggy back fuel system, I bought one racing fuel pump at $500, I heard horror stories on that pump set up. Next charger for me is a VorTech, We are a ProCharger, VorTech dealer..

BUIZILLA
01-26-2003, 03:31 PM
Frank, what is yours, or your customers/friends feelings on the ProCharger vs Whipple? I have a LOT of automotive Whipple experience, but none on the marine side.

Jim

Shanghied Again
01-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Whipple is a very good charger, They both have there good points, The whipple is used your computer has to be remapped, The procharger you don't. The whipple gives you better of the line torque, The prochager is more mid better for a Bravo drive, Both are equal on top end, The Whipple looks more proffesonal then the ProCharger and has a higher price tag, The VorTech is almost the same as the procharger nicer looking and has a few more up grades then the proCharger, I am going with the VorTech next year.

jeddski
01-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Nothing beats the thrill of driving a 22zx to 80mph. I will never forget this boat and maybe if i am lucky i will convince the family to keep it one more season (fingers crossed).
The bolsters Frank added to the boat are great, always feel nice and secure.
And as far as leg room in the back seats go, I am 6'3" and for the 2 times i rode in back I had enough room. Definatly an interesting boat to drive and someday hope to own one again.

Tug
02-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Paul,
I only have about 8 hours on it so I'm trying to take it easy with it. I have been approx 66 mph on the speedo with two 200lb guys and a full tank. I'm still looking for a GPS. Thinking about a GPS 176C. Thanks for the number, I want speed but will probably wait to make the upgrade.

Tug

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
02-20-2003, 04:09 AM
Tug, I think the 176C has had some improvements of recent in the color area, I bought one a year again and returned it for the grey scale, the colors were to hard to see outside.
Otherwise it is an awesome unit.
Bryan

Tug
02-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Woodsy,
The tabs on my 03 22zx were standard equipment. I use them sometimes out of the hole otherwise, not at all.

Tug

Tug
02-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Thanks Bryan. I am looking to be able to use it in the car as well if I choose. I plan on using the boat around the cape, lake winni in NH, Tampa bay area and the Great Lakes. Are the internal maps good enough or do I need more?

Thanks,
Tug

Hardonzi
02-22-2003, 09:00 AM
I have a sweet mint condition ride with every option and then some. www.spectrepowerboats.com (http://www.spectrepowerboats.com) pre-owned sect.The price is 33k not a scratch on her and the boat is super clean. Bring a survyer and or a mechanic u wont find a better or cleaner boat anywhere. I cant build new till this sells. At 33k I`m eating 3k for payoff. The pics do it no justice. When u get to the ramp people gather and gawk. I love the boat I just want to go triple mph and the only affordable way is the CAT.