PDA

View Full Version : Do we like the raised X?

Planetwarmer
02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
How does the 22C do with the raised X? Does it handle as well? Does it accelerate as well? Does it porous as much? Is the raised X only for top speed? Should it be done on all 22Cs? Why is the sky blue? What will be the next stock that will make all of it's investors millionaires? What is going to go out on my boat next? etc etc....

Pismo
02-10-2009, 08:24 AM
I think a shorty would be better, keep the engine low. The guy who designed the Shelby said 2" was a little too high. 1-1.5" would be better. Plus a hot prop of course.

BigGrizzly
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I agree with Pismo. However the Jury is still out on the high prop height whrn it comes to handling Some actually prefer the short drives . Me I prefer the deeper one for trim and rough water condition. Some like it short mfor rough conditions. I have driven same style boate with short and elevated props and That is what I am basing my personal opinion on. Truth there is trade offs so it is kind of subjective. as for speed it SHOULD be faster and is in most cases, from 2 to 10 mph .

Carl C
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
The -2" shorty did wonders for my boat. A solid 3 mph gain and no adverse handling traits introduced. It doesn't work for everyone though which is hard to explain. Higher X or drive likes 4 blades.

MOP
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
My 300 Tempest 22 came from the factory setup at 17" that is about 1-1/2" above most stockers, I have -0- handling or acceleration issues.

Phil

Pismo
02-10-2009, 02:15 PM
The -2" shorty did wonders for my boat. A solid 3 mph gain and no adverse handling traits introduced. It doesn't work for everyone though which is hard to explain. Higher X or drive likes 4 blades.

What prop do you use with your shorty?

Carl C
02-10-2009, 02:27 PM
What prop do you use with your shorty? 28p Bravo 1 from Mercury Racing

gcarter
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
My understanding of the "X" on later model 22C's....

Sometime in the early '90's ('91 or '92), the stringers were moved further apart and engine mounts moved to inside of stringers but "X" remained the same.
About '02 or so, "X" lowered to accomodate taller engine under the hatch. Porpoising began to be a problem.
Now a few boats are offered w/higher "X" to improve handling.
Does this sound about right?

Lenny
02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
My 300 Tempest 22 came from the factory setup at 17" that is about 1-1/2" above most stockers, I have -0- handling or acceleration issues.

Phil

Phil, that would be 2 1/2" I believe. On a 22. Or an 18.

Am I wrong ? (in the 22's case)

Planetwarmer
02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
My 87 22C came with a 454 Alpha1. I wonder with that year and drive, if my X is different than the Bravo setup.

The boat drives and handles great, I just wonder if it is different due to the motor being mounted on top of the stringers and the Alpha drive.

Are Alphas shorter than Bravos at all?

MOP
02-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Phil, that would be 2 1/2" I believe. On a 22. Or an 18.

Am I wrong ? (in the 22's case)

I am not sure Lenny I thought it was said stock was 15-1/2" if so 17" would put me 1-1/2" above.

My 87 22C came with a 454 Alpha1. I wonder with that year and drive, if my X is different than the Bravo setup.

The boat drives and handles great, I just wonder if it is different due to the motor being mounted on top of the stringers and the Alpha drive.

I am pretty sure the crank shaft to prop shaft dimension is the same between the two drives.

donzi2287
02-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I had the exact same set up in my 1987 22 classic. The Bravo drive fits in the exact same hole. I now have a 502/500 hp with a Bravo 1 and external steering. I can also tell you I had over 1000 hrs. on the old package and did only maintenance. Nothing broke!!!!:yes:

Lenny
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Phil, I think stock is 14 1/2" ...

Planetwarmer
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
I had the exact same set up in my 1987 22 classic. The Bravo drive fits in the exact same hole. I now have a 502/500 hp with a Bravo 1 and external steering. I can also tell you I had over 1000 hrs. on the old package and did only maintenance. Nothing broke!!!!:yes:

454 330 Alpha 1! This setup actually does fairly well on gas consumption and will still do low 60s!:boat:

Did you notice a huge difference on your fuel bill when you went to the 502/Bravo setup?

VetteLT193
02-11-2009, 08:30 AM

this raises a really good question.

My brother's boat (donzi2287) has clearance issues with the engine. When he went to the HP 500 I got a picture from Cuda, of I think catch22's boat. His 22 has what looks like a 4" tall air cleaner and he doesn't have clearance issues. My brother's boat has a 3" tall air cleaner and the bolt on it touches the hatch.

Also, my brother's boat will blow the prop out getting on plane if you don't super baby it. It was like that even with the 425 HP engine.

Attached is the pic I got from cuda, and a pic of my brother's old engine. you can even see where the top of the air cleaner is smashed down some on my brother's boat. If my brother doesn't post a pic of his new engine, I'll take one this weekend and post it up. it has to look better than the old yellow one!!

harbormaster
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
The raised x dimension is kinda a pain. Blowing out the prop was the case with me. I will be doing some dialing in with GRIZZ at AOTH. This boat should have been doing better than it was...

VetteLT193
02-11-2009, 08:44 PM
The raised x dimension is kinda a pain. Blowing out the prop was the case with me. I will be doing some dialing in with GRIZZ at AOTH. This boat should have been doing better than it was...

Where are you at X wise? I'm really curious if the alpha boats were up a bit based on what we've seen so far...

VetteLT193
02-13-2009, 11:05 PM
We had a chance tonight to take a quick measurement, my brother's boat is 1 3/8ths inch higher than Bob's boat which is currently parked at his house...

So, are all Alpha 22's like that? It seems that the old Alpha 22's are the original Shelby's as far as X goes.

Planetwarmer
02-14-2009, 03:46 AM
My god! There is actually something cool about having the only year with a 454/Alpha combo!

roadtrip se
02-14-2009, 10:34 AM
I have run a shortie since 2002. I love what it does for the handling of the 22, so much so that I just bought a new one. The boat has no inherent handling issues with it, other than it does not like a shot gun start. When I get in a boat with a normal leg now, it feels like we are dragging something.

Definitely a preference.

blueliner
02-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Hey guys... How much does a shortie sell for?? How long does it take(labor) to switch over?? Is Imco the way to go or is there another option?? Any other modifications needed (gearing or anything?) other than faster speeds what other advantages couldvi expect from adding a shortie?? Thx

Go Canucks Go!!!

fogducker III
02-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey guys... How much does a shortie sell for?? How long does it take(labor) to switch over?? Is Imco the way to go or is there another option?? Any other modifications needed (gearing or anything?) other than faster speeds what other advantages couldvi expect from adding a shortie?? Thx

Go Canucks Go!!!

Canuckleheads are doing well eh?

I beleive Imco is the way to go, very easy swap, what gears are you running? Cost obviously depends on age and condition, I got mine from a VERY nice board member........:wink:

I would hazzard a guess at about $2000 + or - depending on age and condition. Drop me a pm and I can fill you in on my swap and what it did.

PS. Heading out for a run tomorrow, coming...?:yes:

osur866
02-14-2009, 05:40 PM
I also like mine, however be prepared to spend some time testing different wheels if you do it. Takes about and hour to swap a Imco lower onto a Bravo upper, you will need to drill 2 holes in the upper case to bolt the cav. plate to. Steve

BigGrizzly
02-15-2009, 03:53 PM
As Ste3ve said prop testing is the final and most critical thing. As for cost it depends if you just swap internals or go the complet unit.

MOP
02-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Scot your X is 16-1/2" the right prop will cure the blow out, I'm at 17" every Merc wheel I tried blew out. Randy recommended a prop and I found one on Ebay, it has been perfect in all respects plus gaining me about 2 MPH don't dis pare Randy is there!!!

Phil

donzi2287
02-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I like the higher X dim. The price was much less than a shelby!:yes: