PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic prop selection

JustMercMe
02-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Finally got her running good after sitting for so long. Took her out yesterday and topped out at 75-76 mph @ 5200-5300 rpm. I'm running the 27 Mirage Plus that it came with. Everything is stock 496 HO, no add ons.

Question!....RPM's seem high. Do I need to go to a higher pitch like a 29?....if so what kind prop do you guys suggest going to?

Mr X
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
If you are light on fuel, and not much equipment on board, you are right on the money.
We have tried almost every prop available on that boat .......and that is the fastest prop.
There is no way you could swing a 29 mirage plus at the right RPMS, as it is a much larger in daimeter. Not to mention the pitch.

MOP
02-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Mr. X knows his stuff, but if the RPM's spook you, you could add a little cup to what you have. The way it is running speed wise it may hurt or not only trying would tell, I am one of those that like to keep it at 5K or a tad under.

Phil

JustMercMe
02-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys!
I might get this one worked a lil by my prop guy. A lot of guys around here are running Ballistics and getting good results out of them. Just did'nt know if they went as high as a 27 or 28 in pitch.

Trying to get at least 80 mph out of her....And i do realize just a prop change is'nt gonna get me there....but I gotta start somewhere! :wink:

donzi2287
02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
The mirage plus has a cup already. That is the plus in mirage! I have a 500 hp with the old X dimension. We are probably @ the same if you have the new X dimension. pm me after this weekend, I'm installing a 27 labbed quad iv and I think it will be the ticket!:yes:

JustMercMe
02-09-2009, 03:24 PM
The mirage plus has a cup already. That is the plus in mirage! I have a 500 hp with the old X dimension. We are probably @ the same if you have the new X dimension. pm me after this weekend, I'm installing a 27 labbed quad iv and I think it will be the ticket!:yes:

Mine does'nt have the raised X like the Shelbys. I'll definately PM you to see the results on your prop.

MDonziM
02-09-2009, 04:57 PM

I agree. I put a "light" cup in my 25"p mirage plus and it crushed the top end. lost 400 rpm and 5 mph. (94' 22c 502 mpi) I also have a labbed 24" Q4 which handles better overall but loses 2mph from the back to stock 25m+. my 2c.

mjw930
02-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Just doing the math that looks like about 17% slip, you should be able to do a lot better than that. 10% slip puts you at 80 mph, that should be your target.

Also, what's the rev limiter set to on the 496HO? Any chance you are bouncing on the limiter?

I really love the Rev 4 but they only go up to a 25P so that's out. You might want to check out a 4 blade TXP (Turbo) for overall performance or a 3 blade TXP for top speed. If the Turbo website didn't suck so much it would be easy to find out exactly what pitches they make in the TXP 3 and 4 blade but if it were me I would check out a 28P 3 blade or a 27P 4 blade.

A labbed Bravo 1 would also be worth a look, probably in a 28P size. There are always high pitch B1's on OSO's classifieds.

osur866
02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Course you could try a labbed 29P M+ repitched to a 28 thats what im running and love it. Used to be a members mantle art but found its way on the back of my 18. Steve

Lenny
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
but if it were me I would check out a 28P 2 blade or a 27P 4 blade.

28P 2 Blade ???

JustMercMe
02-10-2009, 07:57 AM
28P 2 Blade ???

Thats what I was thinkin'!?....Think he might have meant 3.....Of course I have an oldie off of an inline 6 that might be able to be rehubbed...:kingme:

Thanks for the info fellas! I'd really like to try a 27 or 28 Ballistic if they make it.....Kinda hard to tell of thier site b/c they try to prop your package for you.

Anyways! That gives me a good couple of props to try and start working with!

Thanks guys!

BigGrizzly
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Merc. I guess I need to jump in here. You NEED to try one of my TXP or Fusion Or new QXP 4 blade. Most classic guys that do the TXP with Short drives Like it. I am At the Miami show so we need to talk when I get home. I am pretty sure Donzi didn't do the TXP because the only TXP that was out at the time they tested the boat, I had IT, becaus It was so new and was still designing it. It mite not be any better, but it is an off the shelf prop no labbing needed, and totally replaceable. For get the turbo 1, because they don't normally make anymore 27,

mjw930
02-10-2009, 05:15 PM
28P 2 Blade ???

Thats what I was thinkin'!?....Think he might have meant 3.....Of course I have an oldie off of an inline 6 that might be able to be rehubbed...:kingme:

Thanks for the info fellas! I'd really like to try a 27 or 28 Ballistic if they make it.....Kinda hard to tell of thier site b/c they try to prop your package for you.

Anyways! That gives me a good couple of props to try and start working with!

Thanks guys!

You guys are brutal, Yes, I meant 3 blade (and I fixed it.....) ;)

JustMercMe
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Merc. I guess I need to jump in here. You NEED to try one of my TXP or Fusion Or new QXP 4 blade. Most classic guys that do the TXP with Short drives Like it. I am At the Miami show so we need to talk when I get home. I am pretty sure Donzi didn't do the TXP because the only TXP that was out at the time they tested the boat, I had IT, becaus It was so new and was still designing it. It mite not be any better, but it is an off the shelf prop no labbing needed, and totally replaceable. For get the turbo 1, because they don't normally make anymore 27,

Thanks Grizz. Just shoot me a PM when you get back.

RickSE
02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
... 75-76 mph @ 5200-5300 rpm. I'm running the 27 Mirage Plus that it came with...

That doesn't seem right, I run those same speeds and RPM's with a 25P M+. Your slip does seem high.

Planetwarmer
02-11-2009, 11:45 PM
That doesn't seem right, I run those same speeds and RPM's with a 25P M+. Your slip does seem high.

Possible over-trimming? I hear that is very common.

JustMercMe
02-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Possible over-trimming? I hear that is very common.

I run on a river so theres not any chop what so ever.....So yes it is possible. I try to keep it to the point that there is little to no rooster tail. RT is just a wast of HP.