PDA

View Full Version : Western Swing 2010

RickSE
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I can't take full credit for the idea since most of the Canadian guys have done something similar but here's the thought; sometime in the summer of 2010 I'll leave the Southwest for a week long trek to the Northwest & Canada with stops along the way at some major Western lakes. The idea would be to spend 1-2 days at each lake on the trek north with a longer stay at the end of the journey with our buddies in Vancouver. The route might go something like this,

Havasu
Mead
Tahoe
Shasta
Oregon Lake?
Washington Lake?

I'm not familiar with any of the lakes north of Shasta so I'd need help filling in any blanks in the NW. I really want to visit our friends in Vancouver and think this would be a cool way to do it.

Anyone else interested or have input?

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Okanagan Lake is a must, as is Vancouver Island, we can show you around the Gulf islands.........:wink:

fegettes
02-08-2009, 10:05 AM
What about the river delta outside of Sacramento?

zelatore
02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd be interested in joining you for at least part of that trip. I don't know if I can schedule the time off...of course, I might not have a job at all by then so maybe that won't be my biggest problem :boggled:

I'd certainly be able to meet up with you at someplace like Shasta or Tahoe, and since I live in the delta and work on San Francisco Bay I could probably manage that area too. :wink:

I'm actually considering a similar but smaller idea myself this summer in-route to Powell. Looks like Michele may not be able to make the drive out with me (she'd fly in/out) so maybe I'll leave a little early and stop by some other lake(s) on the way.

yeller
02-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Prepare to drop that boat in the salt. That is a must if coming north. If you don't, you'll miss some of the best boating in the world. I guarantee your boat will show zero signs of saltwater use when you're done.

I'd skip Lake Washington (more commonly known as lake washing machine) and launch north of Seattle to do the San Juan islands. I'd head south and launch with you. Jeremy and Lenny can head out from Vancouver Island and meet us there. Try and get hold of EricG for better info on the Seattle area.

I'd also stop in Portland and do the river.
Ask the people on this site for more Seattle/Portland boating info: www.nwoffshore.com.

Okanagan lake is about 4hrs NE of here and is nice place to check out. Lake is about 65mi long and 1~2mi wide with some good places to stop for food/drink. Weather is warmer than here as well.
Oysoyos lake is nice one day stop if up in the Okanagan. Lake is much smaller and you'd be the king on that lake with your boat. I usually go there for a day or two every year. It's a great family lake because the water is warm and it has a sandy, shallow shoreline which is nice for Bobi (non-swimmer).

yeller
02-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Havasu
Mead
Tahoe
Shasta
Oregon Lake?
Washington Lake?

Havasu: Stay away from Havasu on weekends. I've been there twice now (weekdays) and really like it, but I would never, ever, ever, go there on a weekend...but you already know that. Waaayyyy to many boats for the size of the lake on weekends (not to mention the drunks).

Mead: Went there last summer. I liked it because it was close to Vegas...and we like Vegas. It's a big step down from Powell, but most lakes are. Considering where you usually boat, if you're not going to Mead because you like Vegas, I'd skip it and go straight to Tahoe or Shasta.

Tahoe: Haven't been. Wouldn't mind checking it out, but it's not super high on the priority list.

Shasta: Been a couple times. It's worth a stop.

Oregon lake: Never heard of it. Tried to google it and can't find it, but like I said earlier, I like boating the river in Portland.

Washington lake: I guess it is worth checking out if you've never been. It's a nice lake, but it can get nasty just due to all the boat traffic. It's just that there is sooooo much more to see if you'll go saltwater.

Salt Lake: I go through Salt Lake City when heading your way and am curious about this lake. It's a big lake, but I don't see a lot of boats around. Based on the landscape I'm thinking it may be a very shallow lake and that's why there aren't more boats. I've never gone down to the lakeshore, but from the highway, I did see a boat launch with a few family/fishing type boats. Don't know anymore about the lake than that though.

If looking at a map, Klamath lake in south Oregon may look good to you, but this is just a warning....don't bother going. Stopped by there last summer, based on it's size on the map. Big lake, but almost no boats. Talked to a local and it turns out, it is only about 7' deep with many shallower spots, so passed on launching. I'm thinking Salt Lake might be the same thing.

RickSE
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't want to try accomplishing too much so I'd have to limit the number of lakes visited and time at each lake, only visiting the best lakes along the way. I'm thinking it could be like the Hot Rod Power Tour, but with boats; you can be in it for the long haul or just a few lakes along the way. The overall goal is to visit our buds up in Canada.

I'm not worried about the salt.

Might make sense to leave Havasu out, hit Mead first, then Tahoe, Shasta and maybe one more lake in the NW before crossing the border. It would be nice to have a few other boats tag along into Canada.

Sorry, I ment Oregon Lakes & Washington Lakes, asking for suggestions.

yeller
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
IF I was you, I'd come straight here and give yourself as much time as you want boating around here and Washington, then based on how much time you have left, you can decide what lakes to hit on your way home. Only reason I say this is because the boating here will be (the most) different from what you are use to and you don't want to cut yourself short.

BTW: You won't be missing too much by not going to Okanagan lake. I love boating there, but there's nothing especially unique about it.

I always wanted to go to Lake Coeur d'Alene in western Idaho

fogducker III
02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
I think some will agree, a lake is a lake............lake boating depends on WHO you go with and what is happening on the lake.

Ocean boating is a different animal, IMO.

zelatore
02-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Having spent time in the San Juans a couple years ago (and going back this year:yes:) I'd agree with Glen - spend as much time up there as you can. It's absolutely fantastic. There's a reason so many charter operations are based up. After my first trip to the PNW, I was scheming for ways to move my Carver up there permanently - or better yet, sell it and buy another boat just for that area. You could spend years boating there